How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-11-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairsupreme View Post
I was curious as to whether anyone knew how to get access to photos from the barbie collection he did in 1994? Maybe I am just not a very deft googler. Thanks
Google his Doll's Wardrobe collection and you'll come up with a few hits. I have a few scanned on my tumblr if you'll go through the Martin Margiela tag.

28-11-2012
windowshopping

Thank you for the help

28-11-2012
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairsupreme View Post
Thank you for the help

Doll's Wardrobe Reproduction Series.
credit: lacollectionneuse.tumblr.com

Last edited by rqfsimons; 28-11-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: +pics
29-11-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i was actually looking through both of my margiela books a few days ago and i sat sort of stuck on the pages with the doll clothes collection. easily one of my favourites and really one of his funniest collections. MM had such a great sense of humour. he was the bernhard willhelm of his generation.

16-04-2015
front row

I watched this documentary about Jean Paul Gaultier and it was very interesting to see how much Gaultier influenced Margiela.
His 80's work was mostly about reproduction/customization and the way he used to present his collections. The more surprising thing was the non-logo of his clothes. Gaultier wanted his clothes to be recognisable without logo so he used a trick which (IMO) inspired Margiela for his stichings.

16-04-2015
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
I watched this documentary about Jean Paul Gaultier and it was very interesting to see how much Gaultier influenced Margiela.
His 80's work was mostly about reproduction/customization and the way he used to present his collections. The more surprising thing was the non-logo of his clothes. Gaultier wanted his clothes to be recognisable without logo so he used a trick which (IMO) inspired Margiela for his stichings.

I would love to know the Documentary you have mentioned. Seems interesting.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZ uS View Post
I would love to know the Documentary you have mentioned. Seems interesting.
It's a french documentary. Basically, Gaultier is telling his fashion story by re-doing his iconic old garnments.
You can see it for 1 week

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpKOeogZvWM

Last edited by Lola701; 16-04-2015 at 05:01 PM.
16-04-2015
windowshopping

Thanks! Thought it seems it's not available in my country. I hope it was good. However we have recently had a exhibition of Gaultier's work and you can definitely see the parallels to Martins, or more so the influence he has on him. Thanks again.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZ uS View Post
Thanks! Thought it seems it's not available in my country. I hope it was good. However we have recently had a exhibition of Gaultier's work and you can definitely see the parallels to Martins, or more so the influence he has on him. Thanks again.
Here is another link. It's not subtitled...Full french!
http://uptostream.com/6jzlyt3wqdz5

Here is another french documentary about Anti-Fashion with a focus on Margiela (they are talking about Rei, Yohji, Raf, Helmut).
https://vimeo.com/51908409

17-04-2015
rising star

Didier Grumbach, the head of the French Fashion Chamber said in an Interview recently that Margiela was Gaultier's assistant so it all makes sense.

17-04-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by donyan View Post
Didier Grumbach, the head of the French Fashion Chamber said in an Interview recently that Margiela was Gaultier's assistant so it all makes sense.
Yes, Martin was his assistant and of course you'll see Gaultier influence in his designs but considering how radically different their aethetic seems to have been (for the general public), it's still interesting to see how influent Gaultier was to Margiela.

I wish we could see that infamous graduation collection of MM.

17-04-2015
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
Yes, Martin was his assistant and of course you'll see Gaultier influence in his designs but considering how radically different their aethetic seems to have been (for the general public), it's still interesting to see how influent Gaultier was to Margiela.

I wish we could see that infamous graduation collection of MM.
funny you mention that, Alex Fury who's a fashion journalist I think just published a photo of the collection on his instagram

17-04-2015
rising star

found it
http://europeanafashion.tumblr.com/image/49767054078

17-04-2015
backstage pass

Thanks so much for that doc Lola.

I get the impression many many people don't realize just how influential Gaultier was-- not only to Margiela, but to so many designers, that in turn, became icons in the industry and influenced others. Gaultier will always be one of the original kernels that spawned a forest. If people dismiss Gaultier as the designer that does camp and kitsch and designs costumes for pop stars, then they're only seeing a very very small part of his arsenal and they're not bothering to dig just a little deeper into his archive. The man is a truly one of the most versatile visionaries in high fashion. And in only one of his collections, he had more ideas in it than 10 collections from most designers. I feel Gaultier influenced the fashion industry in a very organic and subconscious way that people didn't even realize his influence in their own designs.

I'm still learning so much from this incredible visionary.

17-04-2015
windowshopping

The Artist Is Absent: A Short Film on Martin Margiela - Directed by Alison Chernick

Last edited by Marc10; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:20 PM. Reason: fixing link
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
margiela, martin