How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2011
Stitch:the Hand

i dunno,for me,i feel it's a bit redundant. i've seen those shapes before....i've seen those prints before. i mean the pierre cardin/cristobal balenciaga geometric structures have been done to death in the last couple years and....hello....basso & brooke pretty much revolutionised scarf prints.

i'm in no way criticising her talent here but i wondered if her winning the swiss textile award last year was really justified. personally,i've yet to be wowed by her work.

Last edited by Scott; 22-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

I don't think Mary is lazy with her designs, it's just that it seems to me that her focus are prints more than anything. I'd thought at this point that she would do some evolution in terms of her design aesthetic.

While I do believe that she's getting stronger and stronger every season, this lacks the same impact her last season had for me. It started well with the first looks, I don't mind the clashing prints - it's part of the appeal to me - but as the show progresses, it starts to get all over the place, leaving me with an incoherent collection.

I love the purple dress on Chloe Memisevic, probably my favorite piece of this collection. It stands out from the rest of the looks and I wish she could've expand that concept a little more. I'd rather see that piece as the closing look...

This might not be her finest moment, but I believe she has substance. She only needs to step out of her comfort zone or else she'll end up as a one trick pony.

23-02-2011
Amour Comme Hiver

Oh dear... it may be a bit premature to tag someone with the "one trick pony" label, but this is essentially the same concept as last season. That's all well and good if you're doing something such as, say, minimalism; minimalism is wearable and bankable. If you're going to go for spectacle, however, shouldn't there be a different spectacle each season?

23-02-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post
Oh dear... it may be a bit premature to tag someone with the "one trick pony" label, but this is essentially the same concept as last season. That's all well and good if you're doing something such as, say, minimalism; minimalism is wearable and bankable. If you're going to go for spectacle, however, shouldn't there be a different spectacle each season?
i'm sorry, but as a new designer, it's OKAY to be tagged a "one trick pony" by the vultures in the blogosphere. coco chanel was a one trick pony. halston was a one trick pony. it's important for new designers to develop a signature aesthetic before trying to branch out to make a comment on current trends with their collections. with that said, but for those with no eye for fashion detail, this stuff is not the same as the stuff presented last season by far. not to oversimplify, but people know mary katrantzou for her talent digitially printing these great full scenes on her fabrics and cutting them into quirkly little dresses that displayed the full print. this she developed as a signature. in this collection, we saw not only a difference in the type of dresses cut by the designer, but we found her using more abstracted patterns and mixing different patterns which does not compare to her own work.

it's really sad that so-called fashion lovers want to beat up new designers for pursuing their vision and putting women in dresses that do strike the world of fashion as new and fresh. give the designer a chance to develop themselves naturally. we see how rodarte has lost some of its momentum as it moved away from that horrifying, terrifying, darkness that they gained so much fashion noteriety for. i would hate for mary katratzou to make that same mistake.

this is something from this season (a maxi dress ready for the sands of ibiza, belted with gladiator sandals):

this is from a previous season (a dress with an audience only among fashion followers):

style.com

V.I.P.

omg, i sooo love those prints!!! great work from a great talent

23-02-2011
windowshopping

I agree in the fact they're unwearable and unflattering. I do like this collection though, nice selection of prints.

V.I.P.

I'm new to this designer. Loving the prints, they're absolutely delicious. The little dresses are beautiful, I'd want it. Atleast to admire the print.

23-02-2011
trendsetter

I really don't get this at all.

23-02-2011
fashion insider

i love this collection & admire the pieces as works of art outside of just being simple clothes. love these concepts.

23-02-2011
front row

Oh, I love it! I love it all! This is why I love LFW; Brit originality at its best. I really love the prints, and all the dresses are so much more wearable than those from the SS11 collection. I wish I could afford to buy everything from this collection. Oh... I don't know what to say... it's just so gorgeous!

V.I.P.

I personally love it. Sure, it's a little repetitive, but never boring.

V.I.P.

she is more experimental now than Balenciaga....I luv it!

11-06-2011
V.I.P.

This collection has grown in me after my initial reaction and even more after hearing her inspiration for this season.

11-06-2011
backstage pass

her desings are absolutely unique. personally i think she would fit perfectly to the house
of GYVENCHY (if Tisci leaves for Dior)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, katrantzou, london, mary