How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-07-2011
front row

Is Miu Miu associated with Prada or...
Is MIU MIU associated as PRADA's secondary line. Or is MIU MIU considered to be a totally independent line all by it's self.

I was wondering this because MIU MIU's prices are pretty much the same as PRADA's main line. $1'150 dollars for a pair of heels, 2'150 for a coat. These prices are not in the same range as for say "MARC by MARC JACOBS" or "NAVY by JIL SANDER". And they aren't really affordable at all.

I was also reading somewhere that one of the reasons why Miuccia Prada started showing in Paris was because she wanted MIU MIU to have a identity of its own.

So do you guys think MIU MIU is still PRADA's less expensive secondary line or a line totally by it's self?

24-07-2011
fashion icon

It' definitely their second line.

Geometric Discharge

Miu Miu is a completely different brand named after and designed by the same person who designs Prada. Miu Miu is in no way a diffusion brand of Prada due to the fact that diffusion brands tend to have the 'essence' of the mainline and are usually most reasonably priced, this can be due to one of several reasons including being aimed at a younger market or because it concentrates on basics and staples that carry the mainline signatures.
Diffusion brands can usually be found in stores beside the mainline pieces, Miu Miu is an entirely different brand and therefore has its own stores with their own aesthetic.
The drop in price of course means diffusions have to sacrifice aspects like expensive processes, expensive fabrics and sometimes quality.
Miu Miu is none of the above, it has its own unique style and its own market and is, as you pointed out, still as expensive as Prada.

24-07-2011
V.I.P.

Wasn't Miu Miu more reasonably priced and aimed at the younger market back when it was still shown in Milan? I cannot even recognise the current Miu Miu girl, it's all so luxurious since she moved to Paris.

V.I.P.

^ yes most definitely it used to be a younger,secondary and more affordable line to Prada when the collections were still shown in Milan. There was always some obvious connection between the Prada and Miu Miu shows back then.

Moving the shows to Paris (and ceasing the Miu Miu menswear) was part of the plan to establish Miu Miu as a luxe womenswear brand on its own. Mission accomplished I guess.

Having said that, even in the days when Miu Miu was still considered a secondary line, I think it still had a strong visual identity, especially some campaigns were in fact often more interesting than the Prada mainline ones.

24-07-2011
backstage pass

i prefer miu miu to prada now actually. i feel like miuccia has more artistic freedom in it.

24-07-2011
In Bloom

I preferred Miu Miu when it was shown in Milan. It was younger, somehow.

we were in love

24-07-2011
V.I.P.

Still feels though that Miu Miu is more young and trendy than Prada...

tfs star

Miu Miu is the Alter-Ego of Prada, It's Polar Opposite. The Brand is an Expression of Miuccia's Girly/Youthful/Adventurous side. She has more creative freedom designing Miu Miu. I read in "The Prada Life" that she designs Miu Miu based on the way she would like to dress if she was younger. As of right now the Brand is completely independent of it's older sister.It's unfortunate that some people still ignorantly consider it and treat it like a Diffusion Line.

24-07-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedtimestorynyc View Post
i prefer miu miu to prada now actually. i feel like miuccia has more artistic freedom in it.
I have to agree...I love how she's taken Miu Miu to whole other level and its become it's own beast...in a good way of course...if I were a girl all I would wear is Miu Miu because of its sensibility...

Still wish she would make Miu Miu menswear though...

24-07-2011
front row

I agree with most of you people here. MIU MIU is really it's own brand now. Even though Miuccia still designs it.

fashion insider

I miss Miu Miu menswear

Alluring

I think Miu Miu might have been seen as Prada little sister, but its clearly developed an identity on its own in Paris. Sure, there are always some common points in Prada and MM collections, but I would definitely label it as a brand brand now.

25-07-2011
Geometric Discharge

I never knew Miu Miu menswear, but, even by taking the last few collections into account, I associate Miu Miu as a very young, feminine, girlish brand and so maybe menswear is not appropriate for the current image?

25-07-2011
fashion insider

I miss Miu Miu menswear too.

Definitely, Miu Miu it's a different brand.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
miu, prada