How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

Miuccia Prada
Miuccia: Reality TV’s Latest Fan
Prada unveils art film with “Bachelor”-type antics

Monday, March 29, 2004

Miuccia Prada doesn’t seem like the sort of gal who wastes away evenings on the couch with a beer and a bag of chips, taking in her evening dose of “The Bachelor.”** But wrapped up in a lovely, artistic package, the concept of reality TV has the Italian designer captivated.** Friday in Milan, the Fondazione Prada unveiled a “fake” reality TV program in their giant exhibit space in Via Fogazzaro, the latest work of art by Italian artist Francesco Vezzoli.* Vezzoli had the genius idea of staging and filming a reality TV show that takes a “dating game” format, except that the contestants are famous actresses (who know that the whole show is a gag) while the audience and the suitors (unsuspecting Italian males with throbbing libidos) have no clue their antics will end up in a film at Fondazione Prada.* Vezzoli rounded up aging, iconic screen stars Catherine Deneuve, Jeanne Moreau, Marianne Faithfull, Antonella Lualdi and Terry Schiavo, to play along in his sociological experiment.* Filmed in Rome last month with Miuccia looking on backstage, the one-hour film provides a compelling and hilarious examination of sexual roles, gay prejudice and long-outdated seduction techniques.* It’s also ingeniously laced with every tacky stereotype found on Italian TV today:* an enormously breasted blond TV presenter in a formal gown and giant jewelry, a nearly naked ensemble of talentless dancers providing mid show entertainment, horrible screen designs, and a raging, narrow-minded audience that reflects Italy’s widespread provinciality.**
J.J. MARTIN

29-03-2004
slightly dizzy

WOW, this I gotta see! Sounds like a hoot! And so true... Thank you so much for the tip!

I really should start following what's happening around me, at least I understand Italian fairly well even if I freeze when I'm expected to talk...

Date: 26 March - 16 May 2004

Venue: Fondazione Prada

Address: via Fogazzaro 36, Milan

Opening Times: Tuesday-Sunday, 10 am-8 pm; closed Monday

Admission: free

http://www.fondazioneprada.org

Quote:
Originally posted by tott@Mar 29th, 2004 - 4:40 pm
WOW, this I gotta see! Sounds like a hoot! And so true... Thank you so much for the tip!

I really should start following what's happening around me, at least I understand Italian fairly well even if I freeze when I'm expected to talk...

Date: 26 March - 16 May 2004

Venue: Fondazione Prada

Address: via Fogazzaro 36, Milan

Opening Times: Tuesday-Sunday, 10 am-8 pm; closed Monday

Admission: free

http://www.fondazioneprada.org
okay tott... you are officially our milan correspondent...please check this out and report back...it definitely sounds amusing...can't wait for your review!

29-03-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 29th, 2004 - 10:48 pm
okay tott... you are officially our milan correspondent...please check this out and report back...it definitely sounds amusing...can't wait for your review!
I am so going!

Expect a full coverage soon!

etre soi-meme

Quote:
It’s also ingeniously laced with every tacky stereotype found on Italian TV today: an enormously breasted blond TV presenter in a formal gown and giant jewelry, a nearly naked ensemble of talentless dancers providing mid show entertainment, horrible screen designs, and a raging, narrow-minded audience that reflects Italy’s widespread provinciality.
thats so real, Italian tv is definetly the worst kitch ever
the project must be quite entertaining
thanks for bringing this in softgrey

tott, i'm so waiting for your take on this

04-04-2004
slightly dizzy

Well, I've seen it now and don't quite know what to say... I'm going to see it again with a friend, I went by myself yesterday.

The film was inspired by Pasolini's film "Comizi d'amore", in which he documented peoples views on life, sex, relationships.

The dating show, "Comizi di non amore", was actually produced by a professional production company; it really is like every tacky Italian TV show. No irony or ingenuity here, folks. Though I wish it wasn't like this in reality.

But... Since it is "art" you do sharpen your senses and discover new lows of the format.

For people outside of Italy, it certainly could be amusing...

Supposedly, only the artist and the contestants knew this wasn't a real show. The suitors were chosen by the artist to match/mismatch the contestants. There were a few twists, for instance; one of the suitors was a transvestite and one was a lesbian. Other than that, it really was a "real" show being taped.

After each segment, members of the audience were invited to share their predictable thoughts on what just occured. The purpose here was to document a piece of reality, just like Pasolini did 40 years ago.

All in all, I found it boring and predictable. If I change my mind, I'll let you know.

thanks for the feedback tott....i've seen other works sponsored by prada which left me cold...art can be so subjective...sounds like a good diversion for an afternoon though...

05-04-2004
etre soi-meme

thanks tott, sad it was not too exciting for you

10-04-2004
etre soi-meme

here a NYT article on Miucia and her recent collaboration with the legendary critic and curator Germano Celant for Fondazione Prada

Germano and sweet Miucia

In Prada's headquarters, on Via Bergamo in Milan, employees get to enjoy the movable parts of Pino Pascali's fur-covered sculpture, "Solitario." The wall hanging is by Michael Heizer.

Marianne Faithfull, one of the guest stars (film by Francesco Vezzoli at Fondazioane Prada Milano - as already discussed ) In the course of the film, modern attitudes about homosexuality, love, fidelity and the role of television are explored.

10-04-2004
etre soi-meme

Vezzoli's film, above, was inspired by Pier Paolo Pasolini's 1964 documentary, "Love Meetings," in which he questioned Italians from all walks of life about love and sex.

The artist Francesco Vezzoli, surrounded by characters in his film, just part of the project he calls the Trilogy of Death.

"Non-Love Meetings," Franseco Vezzoli's film, which was shown last month at the Fondazione Prada, is a dating-game reality show. The audience and the bachelors, who are auditioning to be contestants, believe the show is real, while guest stars like Jeanne Moreau, are in on the ruse.

photos from NYT magazine

10-04-2004

thx 4 the pics lena

10-04-2004
V.I.P.

I lvoe this diea, evry intretsing

Hoppity Hop

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Apr 10th, 2004 - 5:00 am
What a beautiful picture.

I can't wait to see this. I'm totally ready for another Joe Schmo-type parody about reality tv and this one seems to stylishly fit the bill.

10-04-2004
slightly dizzy

The thing is, to me, that this isn't really a parody. It's slightly excaggerated, but I'm actually living with these über-tacky Italian shows...

If I was un-touched by Italian TV, it would be a parody and I'd probably be totally fascinated and amused!

Some parts of the film were fun, like watching Cathrine Deneuve's reaction when one of her suitors "serenaded" her with an explicit song... And the end was fun as well.

Hoppity Hop

Quote:
Originally posted by tott@Apr 10th, 2004 - 6:59 pm
If I was un-touched by Italian TV, it would be a parody and I'd probably be totally fascinated and amused!
This is precisely why I want to watch it, tott. I'm inundated with American versions so to watch something other than that is a welcomed treat, particularly one that pokes fun at the genre.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
miuccia, prada