How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-01-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastry
to us..prada is most anticipated to us. i didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot, that's why i cared to mention that i am very fond of prada first. miuccia's work and personality are undeniably something to aspire to.

but thinking commerically...

people only drop the name because it's a household term, very few know about the intellectual research she goes through. people would come expecting the usual pointy-toed stilletto and will find a stacked heel shoe or an odd platform.

i love it, but i doubt there are enough people who share my opinion.
Oh my, I feel sad about hearing that, I thought S/S 2006 was a huge desaster for Prada, not only the strange fitting of the RTW (Itīs becoming even more evident now that the first editorials are out, it just looks stiff as a bone, while keeping up a puffy, voluminous silhouette, I doubt that people can appreciate that, especially on the salesfloor), but also the horrendous accessories and footwear collection... the bamboo platform, the aggressive fushia patent peep-toe boots, the huge "retro" Prade logo on canvas and even down to the shoes...

... I donīt know, but I think the days of glory are a bit over, I did like a lot of her clothes when I got interested in fashion design, but I always liked her more quiet, timeless designs from between 2000-2002 better than what she does now. Plus, I donīt see the intellectualism in the clothes, Iīm sorry. I am still happy for any of your comments, because thatīs just my own view.

It is becoming clear that with the current speed in which they are launching annual limited edition collections, H&M is in the desperate need of finding new names as soon as possible, it is simply not the same as with Topshop, where they always worked with emerging British designers, and did special events and offerings. H&M only just got aware of the whole thing, with the Fiorucci, Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, and even the latest Christmas jewellry(accessories offering... they will for sure need an occassional dose of something special here and there, but the dilemma is, only very few people these days are well informed about contemporary fashion design, and even less designers are enjoying such stardom as Karl Lagerfeld... I honestly canīt name a single that would have the flexibility to create such a collection just for the fun of it.

11-01-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alura
It's not only a question if the designer is capable and if the public knows him, but rather: the risk for brand damage.

I think using Miucca will be a great succes, but a mistake for the Prada brand. They are 'up there' after the brand dilution with the red striped products. It would be a strange move. Unless it's Miucca for H&M or something like that...

Since McQueen is launching cheaper lines he could be very willing to do this to gain publicity... and he is part of the Gucci Group just like Stella...

Marc Jacobs? I doubt if LVMH would be willing to do this, they are working hard to keep Louis Vuitton's exclusive image with all the fakes around.
agreed with allura's post here even though i hate the idea or 'established' designers doing lines for fast-market mass produced chainstores in general..

who i'd like to see designing for them?
some 'unknown-to-the-mass-market' rising designers,
maybe someone like Charles Anastase? or Nicolas Andrea Taralis?
someone fresh and indie..

this could help rising designers get some much needed cash while also helping mass-chains present some really interesting 'alternative' fashion lines to their more 'forward' clients..

of course the idea behind this is designers-for-chains marketing trick is.. 'bring in the $$$" so my solution wouldnt really apply, but anyway this is all i could bring in this discussion..

crossing fingers H&M stops this kind of collaborations..
its too pretentious and advancing label whor-ing to the max.
I also seriously doubt if those 'guest designers' even had a glance at their 'lines' produced by H&M.. at the best scenario, they just approved some sketches H&M design team put together, while general public went into consummer frenzy imagining they can wear a 'real Karl or Stella' garment..

its more than design which makes a designer collection what it is..
quality fabrics and perfect finishing is where the designer strength lies..
too hard to get designer quality with 30-200$ retail range garments, it's only the 'dream' that's been marketed

11-01-2006
V.I.P.

^ i'm happy with the dream, maybe becasue i'm young,. perhaps, when i grow older i'll understand. maybe not...
anyway, i don't think this is an issue, celebirities and their clothing lines, there is an issue in fashion today.

aslo, i beelieve a spokesperson for H&m stated that they won't be doing a collaboration this year because they need to focuse on their accessorie line.

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
11-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat
Oh my, I feel sad about hearing that, I thought S/S 2006 was a huge desaster for Prada, not only the strange fitting of the RTW (Itīs becoming even more evident now that the first editorials are out, it just looks stiff as a bone, while keeping up a puffy, voluminous silhouette, I doubt that people can appreciate that, especially on the salesfloor), but also the horrendous accessories and footwear collection... the bamboo platform, the aggressive fushia patent peep-toe boots, the huge "retro" Prade logo on canvas and even down to the shoes...

... I donīt know, but I think the days of glory are a bit over, I did like a lot of her clothes when I got interested in fashion design, but I always liked her more quiet, timeless designs from between 2000-2002 better than what she does now. Plus, I donīt see the intellectualism in the clothes, Iīm sorry. I am still happy for any of your comments, because thatīs just my own view.

It is becoming clear that with the current speed in which they are launching annual limited edition collections, H&M is in the desperate need of finding new names as soon as possible, it is simply not the same as with Topshop, where they always worked with emerging British designers, and did special events and offerings. H&M only just got aware of the whole thing, with the Fiorucci, Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, and even the latest Christmas jewellry(accessories offering... they will for sure need an occassional dose of something special here and there, but the dilemma is, only very few people these days are well informed about contemporary fashion design, and even less designers are enjoying such stardom as Karl Lagerfeld... I honestly canīt name a single that would have the flexibility to create such a collection just for the fun of it.
agreed! H&M are really going to have to spit out these designer collections faster. the news that stella was designing for h&M was announced in may and the collection came out in november. the solange collection didnt sell well. (the stuff is 50% off at my local store) and americans hadnt heard of solange anyway!

at least target seems to be whipping these out faster.

11-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastry
^ i'm happy with the dream, maybe becasue i'm young,. perhaps, when i grow older i'll understand. maybe not...
anyway, i don't think this is an issue, celebirities and their clothing lines, there is an issue in fashion today.

aslo, i beelieve a spokesperson for H&m stated that they won't be doing a collaboration this year because they need to focuse on their accessorie line.
on the contrary ive heard they are going to be doing this every year. they need something to bump up their end of the year sales. its what their investors expect.

11-01-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
crossing fingers H&M stops this kind of collaborations..
its too pretentious and advancing label whor-ing to the max.
I also seriously doubt if those 'guest designers' even had a glance at their 'lines' produced by H&M.. at the best scenario, they just approved some sketches H&M design team put together, while general public went into consummer frenzy imagining they can wear a 'real Karl or Stella' garment..

its more than design which makes a designer collection what it is..
quality fabrics and perfect finishing is where the designer strength lies..
too hard to get designer quality with 30-200$ retail range garments, it's only the 'dream' that's been marketed
Exactly! I don't care for this "blabla for H&M" stuff at all. I feel that most people are buying into this marketing out of insecurity and wanting to be 'part' of high fashion by owning a piece 'designed' by a big 'designer'.
The Stella thing was so pathetic too. Poor girl couldn't sell a damn thing under her own label so she ran away for the big money... what's so fashionable about that? Don't get me wrong, the idea is good on paper. I just have the idea that both designers & H&M are abusing people's ignorance and perhaps insecurity.

Last edited by BrothaG; 11-01-2006 at 11:02 AM.
11-01-2006
follow the lights

I agree with tricot.. Hedi Slimane would be great for H&M...

I think there are a lot of guys out there, who would like to own a DH-piece, but can't really afford it.. with the H&M pricepoints, everybody can own a DH-esque piece..

Last edited by Baizilla; 11-01-2006 at 11:12 AM.
11-01-2006
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizilla
I agree with tricot.. Hedi Slimane would be great for H&M...

I think there are a lot of guys out there, who would like to own a DH-piece, but can't really afford it.. with the H&M pricepoints, everybody can own a DH-esque piece..
I'm with Lena on this: "its more than design which makes a designer collection what it is.. quality fabrics and perfect finishing is where the designer strength lies... too hard to get designer quality with 30-200$ retail range garments, it's only the 'dream' that's been marketed"

H&M, Zara and everyone else is already making clothes "inspired by" designers, sometimes virtually identical to the originals except for the materials and finishes. Designers producing collections for the high street is just hype. You do not get designer level of quality and construction, you get more or less what these companies always produce, only with a whiff of rarified designer air. And this whiff disappears fast...

11-01-2006
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
You do not get designer level of quality and construction, you get more or less what these companies always produce, only with a whiff of rarified designer air.
exactly, the only difference is that design 'copies' this time have been approved by designer x.. hence they become legal and glam.
i can't see the charm, or the thrill.

eg. i'd like buying Dries but.. H&M Dries? no thanks, i'd rather not

11-01-2006
V.I.P.

why are we attacking the idea of high street fashion? sure, a designer garment is of excellent quality, we all know that. and the idea of a dream is bad?

i don't know why you guys think this is so awful.

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
11-01-2006
follow the lights

tott : that is why i wrote.. Dior Homme-esque..

..of course i know that the quality and the cut would not be similar to what Hedi does for DH, because in the end, the designers are on a budget... which means they don't have the "freedom" to use different fabrics & materials, as they are used to.

11-01-2006
etre soi-meme

pastry, i dont think its awful, it's probably the perfect consumer 'dream',
its just not my dream.

i'd rather see some new rising designers as 'guests' at H&M.
this could be something else, much more creative and fit.
people could re-invest in financing their own line.

why making the already fat pig just fatter?

11-01-2006
V.I.P.

good point, i'm glad you said it in a simpler way. up unitll now i thought this discussion turned into "indie vs. prada".

i the case of independant designers, i think wearability would be something to consider.

11-01-2006
fashion insider

yes Lena rising designers stars would be the best! H&M could prob promote them as well-known designers so the collection would feel exclusive.

But the worst thing about designer doing H&M is that the designers doesn't put their heart to the H&M-collection, they save it for their own. I think this was quite obvisouly when it came to Stella McCartney... people just buys it cause the name, and that such a waste of a designer... I dont want it to happen with darling Hedi... (but I would prob still buy the clothes cause a such a (sucker) fan:p )

rising star

Did any of you actually buy any of the Stella McCartney for H&M line, or for that matter the Karl Lagerfield for H&M? I agree with Tott:

"H&M, Zara and everyone else is already making clothes "inspired by" designers, sometimes virtually identical to the originals except for the materials and finishes."

I was excited to see what Stella had put together for H&M but none of it inspired me enough to take it off the rack and try it on. The jeans were stiff and the seams bulky. The dresses and tops too roomy and mis-shapen. I'm sure that some folks liked it but I already see a lot of pieces hanging around on the 50% off racks. (Especially those ridiculous metal mesh "purses".)

The Lagerfeld line was an even worse seller in this part of Europe. I remember my friend who is a manager at H&M complianing about how the dresses still wouldn't sell at 75% off.

I would like to see young designers collaborating for large companies like this too but unfortunately I think that they wouldn't see their own names on the labels.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, miuccia, prada