How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-01-2006
etre soi-meme

it happens to have contrasting views,
this is not a crime,
we are supposed to speak our minds
without feeling bad for voicing our opinions

13-01-2006
V.I.P.

raf simons, hahah, so i can afford it

Frozen irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
it happens to have contrasting views,
this is not a crime,
we are supposed to speak our minds
without feeling bad for voicing our opinions
Sorry.. i diden't mean it as an attack, if it sounded like that.

13-01-2006
etre soi-meme

not at all, didn't sounded as an attack,
its only that we can all voice our opinions,
even if we dont agree..
we can show respect for the opinion that doesnt match ours

different people see things in different ways

13-01-2006
front row

I think that if any designer is to do a collaboration with H&M, their technical skills and creative workmanship must stand by itself. A designer can't rely on the strength's of their staff when going solo.

A lot of times I question the merit of designers who obviously rely heavily on their design team. Even with designers as successfull as M A R C J A C O B S
, I find myself second-guessing his single handed ability because he mentions " his team " or " the team and I " constantly when interviewed.

Thats why I have a bit of greater respect for Stella because she challenged all the critics accusations of not being a ' real designer ' . Regardless, when all is said and done, the clothes must sell by themself on the salesfloor .. No one is going to buy clothing just because it has a name on it. There must be something more lucrative and personal in the end.

13-01-2006
V.I.P.

i'm hoping for galliano or mcqueen. or even vivienne westwood. i would love a pirateesque collection!

in any case, it will be announced in may!

13-01-2006
V.I.P.

I don't think Slimane will design for H&M. I'm not quite sure if his clothes will sell, because the 'public' has no idea who he is. We, insiders, know who he is, but avarage joe doesn't know that. H&M needs a bigger name I guess. Somebody like Marc Jacobs or John Galliano would be perfect. I don't think LVMH will approve it. Miuccia Prada is very concious of Prada's image and I don't think she will do it. H&M needs a more independent designer, maybe Viktor&Rolf (they could also use the money to invest in their own stores, they have only one flagship store now).

13-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarahona
raf simons, hahah, so i can afford it

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucci_mama
Why should designers not do this on the high street?

I don't see why people have such a big problem with it.

Are you the one's actually feeling ripped off?? Is that why? The Stella line was not that interesting I did however buy the puffball skirt, because it was of much better quality than regular H&M, the hype will die down, but at the end of the day, the clothes were of better quality than regular H&M, I just find it really 'snobbish' for people to object so loud, about designers doing cheaper lines.

Style is not about money, the quality of what these designers do for the mass market can never compare, fashion should be fun, not taken so serious.

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
15-01-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
Maybe Prada for H&M would show people that the heart of Prada is not cheap nylon bags and black nylon sport clothes with a red plastic logo.

I would HATE for Hedi Slimane to work with H&M. Although maybe if he did, he'd move the cheap crap he's doing for Dior Homme to H&M and produce something good for DH.

Marc Jacobs is already boring crap, so he'd be a perfect candidate.

Helmut Lang for Target would make me puke.
sorry I know I'm late but that made me smile, I agree.

Then again, I also agree that it would be nice to see up and coming designers doing conessions on the high st.
C Neeon (sp??) is a great example of this, my friend is a rock-climbing instructor and is doing a sports science degree, shes absolutely beautiful but not the slightest bit interested in anything remotely to do with fashion. She needed a dress for a party and so she went at 10 o clock one wednesday morning to topshop to find a plain black dress. Somehow she stumbled into the boutique bit and tried on a C Neeon dress, it looks fantastic on her, like ridiculously amazing and she's now a madfan, she's looking into past collections and everything.

There should be a mix, that is what the high st should be about: choice. The problem (other than money and quality) I have about mass-market is the unoriginality about it. If there was choice and people were encouraged to be creative, oxford st might not seem so bad.

Sorry if that was all off-topic: IM VOTING MARC JACOBS!!

15-01-2006
scenester

rick owens, he has amazing cuts i wud love to see translated to lower end H&M. DEFINETLY!!

15-01-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceLorenzo
I think that would be great. I cannot always afford Ms. Prada's prices.
Although I have to say that, so far, not impressed with anyone's collection for H&M. Maybe it's just me.

DolceLorenzo
Me either. I was at H&M the morning it opened in San Francisco.....their first store in the western U.S. I had the most fun watching people grab armfuls of Stella off of the racks and taking to the corner where someone else was guarding their mountain of clothing....to sell on eBay and craigslist, obviously.
I bought a Stella dress....the green tulip dress....the design I thought was very pretty, but the fit wasn't right on me. Made me look preggars...nevertheless, I returned it.
Marc Jacobs would be my vote. He's all over but I still love him.

16-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92
in any case, it will be announced in may!
then what i heard was wrong..interesting,

i read an interview where H&M said"...but don't expect a collection next year. our next task is to focus on accessories.." or something like that. with both karl lagerfeld and mccartney coming out, i always thought "are they spoiling the customers? are there going to be enough household names to go around?"

so now, maybe i do agree with people like Lena that they should introduce younger designer. there are more of those after all...

fo course call me cynical, but i don't think it'll happen. who will they choose...

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
18-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
pastry, i dont think its awful, it's probably the perfect consumer 'dream',
its just not my dream.

i'd rather see some new rising designers as 'guests' at H&M.
this could be something else, much more creative and fit.
people could re-invest in financing their own line.

why making the already fat pig just fatter?
I would as well as all the designers weve already mentioned in this thread have already made a name for them selves would be nice to let someone else get out there and it would be a great oportunity for them, aslo they could get there name more well known. Also i knwo this sounds stupid but i know they wont get much of the money, because of mark up etc. but id feel happier giving my money to someone less well known.

18-01-2006
fashion icon

LOL for some reason the phrase "Helmut Lang for Target" sounds so wrong...yet oh so hilarious to me.

I think Slimane for H&M would work...the tailoring won't be as good due to budget, so maybe focus on translating the casual, 'entry' pieces of Dior Homme (which are still too expensive for a lot of the younger fans, who I am imagining is the target audience in this collaboration anyway) into an affordable H&M by Hedi Slimane collection. From a business standpoint I think it's a brilliant idea. Like AlexN said, it could also move the casual stuff to another venue with the main line concentrating more on atelier work...actually this would be a good idea to make it not a one-time thing but rather a recurring theme, Slimane designing a 'capsule collection' for H&M that gets updated every now and then in a long-term collaboration with LVMH. Hedi doesn't actually have to do anything, just attach his name to the project and make some publicity appearances every now and then.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, miuccia, prada