How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-01-2006
V.I.P.

i do think think that H&M better jump the gun and hire another designer more frequently.

target is going to have a new designer for go international every 90 days!

thats a whole year!

19-01-2006
rising star

I'd love to see marc jacobs for HM!
I really like him as a designer and at the moment I'll never be able to purchase something from his collections so if he did something for HM it would be perfect for me

17-02-2006
V.I.P.

First Karl, Then Stella…Now Miuccia?
Could Prada be considering an H&M deal?

Friday, February 17, 2006

(NEW YORK)
If Stella could trump Karl in sales, imagine the impact of Miuccia Prada! Though unconfirmed, word came late Wednesday that H&M and Prada are said to have had initial discussions about the possibility of collaborating on a capsule collection of clothing and accessories. A Prada spokesperson had no comment on the matter. Lisa Sandberg, communications director at H&M, issued a statement saying, “Our cooperation with Stella McCartney in 2005 is a clear example of what we’ve always believed at H&M—that design is not a matter of price. Customers really enjoyed the fashions, and sales and profits were good—so we would certainly consider other partnerships like this in the future.”
There seems to be no end for the public’s demand for affordable clothing designed entirely, or at least partially, by some of the world’s most established designers. In addition to McCartney and Lagerfeld’s collaborative ventures, Luella Bartley recently debuted her line for Target, and the retail giant that is said to have also met with Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez of Proenza Schouler.
Why Miuccia Prada—the woman who built a billion-dollar fashion empire from a line of woven nylon bags—would have any desire to partner with a retailer of chic mass clothing is anyone’s guess. But according to company sources, Prada is undergoing several internal corporate changes. The company recently announced that it would be moving its Miu Miu show from Milan to Paris, perhaps in a strategic attempt to distinguish it from the Prada collection, but also to afford itself a path should a possible partnership with H&M solidify.

17-02-2006
desire, undefined

if miuccia desides to collaborate with h&m, i will put up a tent in front of my h&m to be the first in line

PopWillEatItself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
agreed with allura's post here even though i hate the idea or 'established' designers doing lines for fast-market mass produced chainstores in general..

who i'd like to see designing for them?
some 'unknown-to-the-mass-market' rising designers,
maybe someone like Charles Anastase? or Nicolas Andrea Taralis?
someone fresh and indie..

this could help rising designers get some much needed cash while also helping mass-chains present some really interesting 'alternative' fashion lines to their more 'forward' clients..

of course the idea behind this is designers-for-chains marketing trick is.. 'bring in the $$$" so my solution wouldnt really apply, but anyway this is all i could bring in this discussion..

crossing fingers H&M stops this kind of collaborations..
its too pretentious and advancing label whor-ing to the max.
I also seriously doubt if those 'guest designers' even had a glance at their 'lines' produced by H&M.. at the best scenario, they just approved some sketches H&M design team put together, while general public went into consummer frenzy imagining they can wear a 'real Karl or Stella' garment..

its more than design which makes a designer collection what it is..
quality fabrics and perfect finishing is where the designer strength lies..
too hard to get designer quality with 30-200$ retail range garments, it's only the 'dream' that's been marketed
Collaborating with "new-ish, yet-to-be-established" talent is topshop's policy - kind of. Meaning its collaborations with Sophia Kokosalaki etc. H&M has to do something different to differentiate itself.

And I don't see anything wrong with this. How many customers would an unknown name bring in? How many customers would camp outside to be the first to get their hands on the clothes? How much publicity would a new designer raise?

I personally like what H&M is doing. It's great for everyone to have the chance to approach these designers in some way. And reagrding quality, many "top designers" don't have THAT great quality. And certainly even more new designers don't either... I'm sure you have seen Erotokritos materials... not the best quality around... and Sophia Kokosalaki often gets negative press about the quality of her stuff.

H&M is the store most associated with the masses and responding to their demands is more than natural... not to say, expected from it.

Last edited by melt977; 17-02-2006 at 04:37 PM.
17-02-2006
PopWillEatItself

Oh! And I's love to see Vivienne Westwood for H&M...

17-02-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt977
And I don't see anything wrong with this. How many customers would an unknown name bring in? How many customers would camp outside to be the first to get their hands on the clothes? How much publicity would a new designer raise?

H&M is the store most associated with the masses and responding to their demands is more than natural... not to say, expected from it.
the masses include fashion insiders and non fashion insiders...... bringing in big names like stella or jacobs is going to attract the non fashion insiders masses....but bringing in lesser known designers will attract fashion insiders masses and bring good publicity among the "elite" *cough" fashion circle....

19-02-2006
backstage pass

I really want McQueen to do it...because I want him to make more money so that Gucci would not kick him out so fast. Yet, if the design is compromised...

20-08-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Lagerfeld was very French, Stella was very London ... the missing component is New York. Who better than Marc Jacobs? Would definitely be cool for something like H&M.
SO true. Although I think McQueen would do superbly collaborating with H&M, Marc Jacobs would complete representations of different fashion capitals. And Prada is probably the best bet to represent Italy

20-08-2006
Push it to pop it!

As a few have mentioned already, Prada is such a well known name. I would like to see a lesser known designer. That goes for Marc Jacobs too.

22-12-2006
scenester

Hedi Slimane or Vivienne Westwood

22-12-2006
V.I.P.

This is going to sound ridiculous but how about: Anna Sui for H&M, her style is very vintage and retro could work well.

22-12-2006
V.I.P.

I really think Marc Jacobs would do well- His style is I think the hottest at the moment- and some of his cuts and things could easily be done in cheap fabrics.

I don't like his look particularly myself, but I think he'd be the best choice if they could get him

and the idea of less well known designers I think is a bad idea.
1. Not many people will know who those are
2. If they are not well established enough in the high end retail sector, doing a cheap collection may pigeonhole and catagorize them as "designers of cheap clothing"

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustus
I really want McQueen to do it...because I want him to make more money so that Gucci would not kick him out so fast. Yet, if the design is compromised...
Yes, it would be really great for McQueen financially, his name is well known enough for him to get some of the 'mass crowds' out.

Half of H&M looks like Marc Jacobs for H&M so I really don't think the designs will be to great or orginal. It's just not exciting enough.

I'd much perfer Prada or Heidi Slimane over MJ and a young and up and coming over everything.

23-12-2006
DŌMMkammern

i'd hate to see prada and i would laugh seeing valentino (so wrong!!!)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
handm, miuccia, prada