How to Join
25-06-2004
Melody Nelson

Probably Dior

25-06-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike413@Jun 25th, 2004 - 4:23 pm
My first choice would be Marc Jacobs, some of his stuff, especially from the Marc by Marc line is sooooo expensive, I could understand if you're getting something that's made from expensive fabric or very well designed, but it's basic casual wear!
Marc by Marc Jacobs is what came to my mind too. The 'genre' is unusual compared to most other lines right now, but that's all he has going for him. I know the idea is that the clothes are supposed to be simple & demure -- but they are poor fits. Fit shouldn't have to be sacrificed in order to stay away from sexy cuts. His cottons aren't soft weaves, and he never uses luxury fabrics. (I do like the cashmere pieces he has in Marc Jacobs collection sometimes.)

25-06-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Most Expensive and not even worth it:

1. Dior-not worth a penny quality-wise nor style-wise...especially since you can make up your own crap garb from Flea Markets.

2. Prada. As Faust said,I think for all that's been hyped over her,I don't think she,Miuccia,nor their manufacturers have redeemed themselves for quality workmanship. It stinks,really.

3. Marc Jacobs. Not comment needed.

Best Quality for Ones money:

Any Belgian designer comes to my mind--Branquinho,Persoons,Margiela(although I think that this is becoming less of an option since his partnership with Diesel)Vandevorst,Wim Neels,Schönberger,Simons,Van Noten etc. etc. all are great craftsmen to me and quite reasonably priced at that. In fact,I was aghast at some of the prices these designers put on the tags---very affordable,I must say.

I would also make a guess and say Tess Giberson's work appears to have wonderful quality as she spends so much time at constructing each piece with a tremendous amount surface work as well.

Carol Christian-Poell

Boudicca

Jessica Ogden(I've seen her stuff up-close---its lovely what she does to and within a garmet)

25-06-2004
trendsetter

I'd have to say versace, i think it seems overpriced to me even more so because i don't really like any of it much at all.

25-06-2004
front row

definately Prada....I have a couple of shirts that I got cheap at outlets, also John Varvatos, Chanel, JPG, Armani ( ).....Well worth is for me are Dolce, Valentino, Bruno Magli, Bally, Benetton....stuff I wear I guess, I would never pay outrageous prices for clothes

25-06-2004
backstage pass

I've never owned any designer pieces so I can't vouch for quality but the 3 that Scott listed are the first ones that came to mind. Especially Marc Jacobs. Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of the stuff looks cute but I nearly fell out of my chair when I found out how much it costs.

25-06-2004
rising star

Calvin Klein is one of the most overpriced designer according to me & of course Jil Sander, MaxMara & other labels whose products are simply fabricated.

25-06-2004
front row

Chanel- I agree with Alejandro on how a tweed suit cost nearly $6000. Sorry for $6000 dollars you know how much stuff you can put into your closets including accessories or how many charity you can help. Although some of their stuff is nice but just not worth the $$$$$$$$$.

Fendi- Sorry but I just don't find anything special about it.

Dooney and Burke- Well not that expensive but overpriced for some of the crap they put out.

Oh and Tommy Hilfiger for the fact that he has little children in sweatshops in south america making his t-shirts for only pennies and selling it for $100.

25-06-2004
offline.

I like him... But I have to agree with the few before me...

Marc Jacobs... hands down is way overpriced.

25-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro@Jun 25th, 2004 - 1:14 pm
Dior is so overpriced, really, super overpriced
but the quality of the clothing is superb!
this is a thread about designers who overcharge for crappy quality things, remember

...dior does this once in a while with the accessories, though, like crappy plastic bracelets and necklaces and crap for like $100 and up!

and don't forget those stupid Golf sweatbands for over $60!

also the fall 2004 runway shoes.....the creepers.....are completely ludicrously priced. i mean, i can understand the crocodile ones being $2000- manolo blahnik charges that (and then some) for his crocodile pumps, even... but the pair that i want is CANVAS and rubber, with a pricetag of $1200! YEESH!

here they are

it's all personal preference though. cos i know if i had the money i would definitely buy all of the pairs of these shoes that i want

25-06-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by brian+Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:57 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brian @ Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:57 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alejandro@Jun 25th, 2004 - 1:14 pm
Dior is so overpriced, really, super overpriced
but the quality of the clothing is superb!
this is a thread about designers who overcharge for crappy quality things, remember

...dior does this once in a while with the accessories, though, like crappy plastic bracelets and necklaces and crap for like $100 and up!

and don't forget those sh*tty Golf sweatbands for over $60!

also the fall 2004 runway shoes.....the creepers.....are completely ludicrously priced. i mean, i can understand the crocodile ones being $2000- manolo blahnik charges that (and then some) for his crocodile pumps, even... but the pair that i want is CANVAS and rubber, with a pricetag of cost $1200! YEESH!

here they are

it's all personal preference though. cos i know if i had the money i would definitely buy all of the pairs of these shoes that i want [/b][/quote]
What about those dog leash lanyards, brian?

Those were sexy.

25-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by luna@Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:05 pm

Those were sexy.

EW!

25-06-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by brian+Jun 25th, 2004 - 7:06 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brian @ Jun 25th, 2004 - 7:06 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-luna@Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:05 pm

Those were sexy.

EW! [/b][/quote]
Aww... *hug*

25-06-2004
V.I.P.

also, how can anyone forget CHANEL's spring 2004 cassette clutch...

$1600 for a hunk of molded plastic on a chain?
still makes me go nuts..

and i still want one! :\

25-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by luna+Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:07 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (luna @ Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:07 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by brian@Jun 25th, 2004 - 7:06 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-luna
Quote:
@Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:05 pm

Those were sexy.

EW!
Aww... *hug* [/b][/quote]

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, designer, overpriced