Most Overpriced Designer? #1 - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
26-06-2004
fashion insider

If you start counting, then youll see that its a really good bussiness, isnt it? I mean so really, these top basically costs 2 dollars and dior sells it for 200 or more... ok, I can agree that clothes with pearls and diamonds really shoul cost a lot ,but for example, look here . Why would I pay 175 dollars for this ?

In common, they are all overpriced.

26-06-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Asdiklon@Jun 26th, 2004 - 11:50 am

In common, they are all overpriced.
*edited to say: I agree, with Asdiklon.

Still boutiques are much responsible for the high prices, retail price = wholesale price plus 150 to 250%

x-factory price can occasionaly end multiplied almost three by the time it reaches the end customer... with taxes, advertisment & shipment included
meaning the Dior t-shirt starts retailing at around 53$ and reaches 175$ retail ..

c'est tres compliquè

26-06-2004
fashion insider

26-06-2004
yes

i know chanel is SUPER expensive......but it is probhably the best quality avalible. i mean......nobody else can work with chiffon that well apart from ungaro. i think part of the reason for chanel's high prices is actually to keep their loyal clients who dont want to see jim and bob having the same as them.

also, at least with chanel clothes, you're paying to look chic and feminine, some people will pay the same prices to look totally trashy

26-06-2004
fashion insider

Oh, Lord- Marc Jacobs comes to mind. I don't own any designer pieces, but I have seen MJ stuff up close, and it didn't seem worth the insane prices. Moschino Cheap and Chic is definitely not cheap - I saw a coat on Saks yesterday that cost over $2000, although it looked pretty well-made. Chanel is ridiculously over-priced as well. A lot (not all) Balenciage stuff is laughably expensive.

26-06-2004
kabhi alvida

It's not totally high end but Juicy is way overpriced, especially for the quality, which is crap

26-06-2004
fashion icon

Balenciaga

26-06-2004
barcode

Yes, Balenciaga is very pricey. Some of the stuff is understandibly expensive.....but other stuff is just like WOAH!!!!!!!!!!

26-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by impossibleprincess@Jun 26th, 2004 - 1:16 pm
It's not totally high end but Juicy is way overpriced, especially for the quality, which is crap
i agree.

i think the same of heatherette as well...

26-06-2004
barcode

Quote:
Originally posted by brian@Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:02 pm

i think the same of heatherette as well...

I like to think of Heatherette as Crack Whore Couture. They charge you thousands of dollars, but you wind up looking like you rolled out of a dumpster with a syringe and crack pipe in your purse. It's 80's prom queens hit by an 18 wheeler, dragged a few miles, thrown into CBGB for an hour, and retiring for the evening in the nearest crack house........just a personal opinion

26-06-2004
backstage pass

Yohji Yamamoto is very expensive. I saw a pair of men's leather sandals for $1200.

Chanel is overpriced. Personally I don't think a plastic ring is worth $250. One could actually get a sterling ring at Gucci for less.

Dior Homme as well. Some of their denim costs upwards of a $1,000. At Saks they had a leather jacket on sale for $4,500. But I must say the styling is exquisite.

Charles Baudelaire

26-06-2004
fashion insider

Dior Homme is def. overpriced. The same goes for Rochas and Prada.

27-06-2004
Meg
inspired contemplation

I love Prada and as far as designers go I don't think Miuccia is crazy. I mean I wouldn't pay anything for the crap sportline but her actually collection. I think a lot of work can go into some of those pieces.

I was thinking about this topic today at work and thought that someone who is suprisingly affordable is Anna Sui. You can buy one of her ready to wear dresses from the runway for a couple hundred and though oddly haven't seen any up close wouldn't doubt their quality.

27-06-2004
V.I.P.

dior.

hmmm....

dior and chanel.

27-06-2004
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by impossibleprincess@Jun 26th, 2004 - 9:16 pm
I agree with this.

But to see it from other angle, chanel, dior, ect. overprice their clothes just for the people they want to sell them to. I mean that some people have so much money that buying a coat for 2000 dollars doesnt seem like something extraordinary to them. Its a sort of prestige thing to dress expensivelly.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, designer, overpriced