Most Overpriced Designer? #1 - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
27-06-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Asdiklon@Jun 27th, 2004 - 3:29 pm
I mean that some people have so much money that buying a coat for 2000 dollars doesnt seem like something extraordinary to them.
so true

27-06-2004
V.I.P.

Things are only worth as much as people will pay for them. If the company is coming out ahead, well, kudos to them.

But in my personal opinion, Tommy Hilfiger (which is utter junk.. the navy fades and $200 coats fall apart ), Juicy, some of the Chanel, and DEFINATELY Versace.

27-06-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

when reading this topic the first names i think of are vuitton and chanel...i think that both only price their objects to make them more exclusive. yes there is quality involved but...when i think of the other houses....gucci, dior, fendi, most anyone...you can ALWAYS find their stuff on sale at some point during the year. there aren't many people who can't afford a half priced bag from most of the houses but when bag prices get up into the high thousands (without being hermes) i start to flinch.

28-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:29 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:29 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Asdiklon@Jun 26th, 2004 - 11:50 am

In common, they are all overpriced.*
*edited to say: I agree, with Asdiklon.

Still boutiques are much responsible for the high prices, retail price = wholesale price plus 150 to 250%

x-factory price can occasionaly end multiplied almost three by the time it reaches the end customer... with taxes, advertisment & shipment included
meaning the Dior t-shirt starts retailing at around 53$ and reaches 175$ retail ..

c'est tres compliquè [/b][/quote]
I agree, and that is exactly what bugs me! Suckers who pay for the adertisements, while they should be paying for the clothes. I would love to see the exact % figure that advertising costs consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 25% for Dior, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, etc...

28-06-2004
scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by faust+Jun 28th, 2004 - 10:42 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 10:42 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:29 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Asdiklon
Quote:
@Jun 26th, 2004 - 11:50 am

In common, they are all overpriced.*

*edited to say: I agree, with Asdiklon.

Still boutiques are much responsible for the high prices, retail price = wholesale price plus 150 to 250%

x-factory price can occasionaly end multiplied almost three by the time it reaches the end customer... with taxes, advertisment & shipment included
meaning the Dior t-shirt starts retailing at around 53$ and reaches 175$ retail ..

c'est tres compliquè
I agree, and that is exactly what bugs me! Suckers who pay for the adertisements, while they should be paying for the clothes. I would love to see the exact % figure that advertising costs consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 25% for Dior, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, etc... [/b][/quote]
lol..

i remember those t-shirts when I was in London last summer. The sales staff in the Dior boutique were wearing those i guess it was their summer uniform at the time

28-06-2004
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally posted by Spike413+Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:11 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spike413 @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:11 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-brian@Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:02 pm

i think the same of heatherette as well...

I like to think of Heatherette as Crack Whore Couture. They charge you thousands of dollars, but you wind up looking like you rolled out of a dumpster with a syringe and crack pipe in your purse. It's 80's prom queens hit by an 18 wheeler, dragged a few miles, thrown into CBGB for an hour, and retiring for the evening in the nearest crack house........just a personal opinion [/b][/quote]
I beg to differ ... I've seen some very very reasonably priced KEY pieces from Heatherette (and I get a third-world-country salary/wage!)

29-06-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Jun 28th, 2004 - 10:42 am
I would love to see the exact % figure that advertising costs consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 25% for Dior, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, etc...
My guess is that it's more like %70 of the t-shirt price goes to advertising and brand marketing. I mean how much could it cost to make a t-shirt? Most of it goes to celebrity endorsements. They get millions of dollars just to have their photo taken while wearing something.

29-06-2004
Swim Upstream

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Jun 27th, 2004 - 8:11 pm
when reading this topic the first names i think of are vuitton and chanel...i think that both only price their objects to make them more exclusive. yes there is quality involved but...when i think of the other houses....gucci, dior, fendi, most anyone...you can ALWAYS find their stuff on sale at some point during the year. there aren't many people who can't afford a half priced bag from most of the houses but when bag prices get up into the high thousands (without being hermes) i start to flinch.
mikeijames - I agree with you Chanel and vuitton do seem exorbitantly £££. However I disagree that there aren't many people who can afford a designer bag at half price - most people cannnot afford to spend hundreds of £/$ on a handbag. Its only people who are the elite in financial terms that can pay those prices for bags - the top few percentile in terms of average wealth. I think its important to remember that.

29-06-2004
windowshopping

Juicy Couture (their stuff looks cheap)
Runner Up: Clothes with a bunch of logos(esp. Dior)

29-06-2004
windowshopping

I have to agree with all those who said Chanel... I love some of the label's pieces, but I could never imagine paying so much money for clothes! And, that has to mean something coming from someone who is told she "has no idea of the value of a dollar."! Still... I think Chanel is okay for accessories (esp. sunglasses), and I doubt I would complain about their prices if I could actually afford them. lol.

30-06-2004
front row

Dior Women, Roberto Cavalli and Marc Jacobs.
I haven't bought anything from the 3, but looking through prices from magazines, I felt such.

30-06-2004
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally posted by steeltoe@Jun 30th, 2004 - 5:04 am
Dior Women
Agreed:

That dress cost over $15000....absurd!

twitter.com/ErikP87

30-06-2004
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Dale+Jun 30th, 2004 - 2:48 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr-Dale @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 2:48 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-steeltoe@Jun 30th, 2004 - 5:04 am
Dior Women
Agreed:

That dress cost over $15000....absurd! [/b][/quote]
15000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I faint fram these prices...

30-06-2004
fashion elite

I'd say Dior, seems to be mostly trash. And Tommy Hilfiger. Nothing but common junk, that one.
How about those drab Louis Vuitton monogram (brown) bags ?The only reason anyone buys that is because it's LV..and sadly, many people do. And then the money goes. BAM. A whole load of it.

30-06-2004
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-Dale+Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:48 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mr-Dale @ Jun 30th, 2004 - 8:48 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-steeltoe@Jun 30th, 2004 - 5:04 am
Dior Women
Agreed:

That dress cost over $15000....absurd! [/b][/quote]
OMG this dress is heaven! and the one behind it !!! I would pay $15000 for it . Don't you just love the ruffling detail and the cute flower bouquet? Most of those expensive dresses/gowns have a reason to be so expensive

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, designer, overpriced