How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-10-2011
Hell on Heels

i've tried the balenciaga net dress on the other day. i just wanted to see how bad it'd look (it was in hot pink nonetheless). the most unreasonable thing is that the materials don't really seem that 'precious', at all.

18-10-2011
Geometric Discharge

As much as I love Saint Laurent and as much as I love this coat, the price seems sort of excessive seeing as the only other coats on matches.com that are around this price are full-on fur.
I know vents are expensive to make, and it has four (two in back, two in front) but..?
Maybe it's because it's the opening runway piece?

76% wool, 14% nylon, 10% silk.
Prince of Wales tweed riding coat

£3,220.00

style.com
matches.com

19-10-2011
backstage pass

I know everything seems ridiculously expensive,but you have to understand.The price is around 3 times more than the wholesales price. The materials are getting expensive nowadays. Plus the people behind the company, the time for the collection ...That's why they always need interns ( low pay employees ) hahaha. And also the production price are really high, since all the runway piece or labels won't have a big quantity. The factory and the suppliers charge them high. Sometimes they have to produce the clothes in house. I think it's insane, I can't afford it. But once you work behind the glamour, you will understand why.

tfs star

Rodarte.

How the girls make any money is beyond me. €2125 for a printed skirt is ridiculous. They have no reason to be marking their prices so high, considering how young their label is.

19-10-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Rodarte.

How the girls make any money is beyond me. €2125 for a printed skirt is ridiculous. They have no reason to be marking their prices so high, considering how young their label is.
While I agree with on the Rodarte prices I do not agree with your reasoning. If you consider that this is a young label their prices have to be even higher than those of more established labels because production costs more per piece when less garments are commission to a factory. Also their garments involve loads of handworking, really good fabrics and are very exclusive. But 2000€ for a wool cardigan doesn't seem to be reasonable, although it might be handknit and handdyed.

fashion elite

Givenchy SS 2012 cotton t-shirt - $785

twitter/izandrews

THE ROW Alligator backpack - €27,550

net-a-porter.com

NARCISO RODRIGUEZ Silk-mousseline dress - €4,212.76

net-a-porter.com

no tom ford, no thanks.

that is ridiculous for that givenchy t-shirt even by givenchy standards! the dog t-shirts were a reasonable $300 lol and didn't that "the row" bag SELL OUT at that price point? if so that just makes it "expensive" and not "overpriced"

as for the prada vs the balenciaga. the balenciaga dress -- bless ghesquiere's heart -- is not an iconic piece. that prada dress will look just as "prada" five years from now. in one year, most people won't even recognize that balenciaga dress.

Last edited by mikeijames; 13-11-2011 at 05:17 AM.
18-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
well since they fired Christophe will Balmain drop some of their price points? I know they wanted to make a cheaper line but Christophe refused, so maybe we'll see a change in the future H&M x Balmain never
I hope this will NEVER happen. But I am not so sure anymore when Christophe is out of the game.

Last edited by EnVogueLove; 18-11-2011 at 12:49 PM.
19-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

^they're creating a bridge line ("pierre balmain") that's cheaper, but balmain remains balmain-priced.

V.I.P.

I am fine with Pierre Balmain line but H&M x Balmain would be so funny
Maybe somebody could post how the prices are now when it comes to Pierre Balmain collection and when it comes to regular Balmain?

19-11-2011
rising star

I guess the problem with Balmain is they are trying to be rockerish... but yet they have not realized that normal people who is into that aesthetic can't pay that amount of money... and the rich are not into it... oh wells...

19-11-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcherrified View Post
I guess the problem with Balmain is they are trying to be rockerish... but yet they have not realized that normal people who is into that aesthetic can't pay that amount of money... and the rich are not into it... oh wells...
I guess it worked out at the beggining when Decarnin's Balmain was new on the scene, fresh, cool and rockerish. Balmain's clothes was sold out very quickly...like at net a porter. I think that rich people are buying this sh*t about wearing ripped clothes that costs a lot of money. It would totally not be the same if you have no label ripped jeans and Balmain ripped jeans And the people who buys at NAP are also willing to pay a lot just because it's Balmain. I guess people get bored of the snobish Decarnin's attitude. Also, I think that "normal people that are into rock" don't even know about Balmain. I don't think that Decarnin's Balmain was ever meant to be label for "normal audience" .

20-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVogueLove View Post
...Also, I think that "normal people that are into rock" don't even know about Balmain. I don't think that Decarnin's Balmain was ever meant to be label for "normal audience" .
balmain appeals to the same segment of the population that enjoys extremely expensive restaurants, astronomically priced art, spectacularly pricey residences, and that will dole out thousands of dollars to sit at a table at a night club where no one can see them. it's about exclusivity. you can buy a bottle of perrier jouet at the grocery store for a couple hundred bucks and you can buy the SELF-SAME bottle at a trendy nightclub for a thousand. same grapes. same vineyard. same bottle. same everything. it's the exclusivity that drives the price. and something is only over-priced when it's something people aren't willing to pay for. while balmain remains very expensive, it's not overpriced because people happily buy it at those prices.

V.I.P.

I think you're describing consumers' willingness to pay. Overpriced simply means the cost of material and labor does not equate to the cost you're passing on to the customer. Exclusivity is intangible - you cannot tack that on to the price. If it costs you $5 to make a coat and you sell it for a million dollars - that's overpriced. Just because a millionaire buys it does not make it worth a million dollars - it's still a $5 coat.

If it costs you $5000 to make the coat, and you sell it for $6000 - that's an expensive coat. the price it already started at is high and you marked it up to a level that isn't beyond the actual cost of the item itself.

Like that example of Perrier jouet you gave. Someone who doesn't make a lot of money will find that expensive. Someone who makes ton of money will not. it doesn't negate the fact that that bottle of water, for what it is, shouldn't cost as much as it does. that makes it overpriced.

20-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

but intangibles make up so much of an actual price. creativity. convenience. exclusivity. covetability. all of these intangibles go into the price of a garment. we're not strictly talking about costs here, we're talking about price. you have some designers....i recall balenciaga under ghesquiere in those early days....that had ridiculously high price tags on their clothes and they wouldn't sell. they just sat there. 20% off. 50% off. 80% off. while the handbags floated the ship. that's over priced. then you have items just as marked up at chanel that will not stay on the shelves.

the market -- that is, the consumer, in the end -- remains the ultimate judge of whether something is overpriced. i can sit back and say lobster is overpriced all day long but it constantly sells at the price it is despite it's relatively low cost to harvest and prepare. louboutin routinely charges two-to-three times the price as some similar creations at competitors like jimmy choo or manolo blahnik or others. do you think he puts two or three times as much leather or workmanship into those shoes? no. creativity? perhaps. exclusivity? maybe. but it's not just raw materials and time spent putting them together.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced