How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-11-2011
V.I.P.

^ it is, I too did a double take cause on Kasia it doesn't even look like a skirt. must be the lighting and the angle of the photo.

23-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
Marc Jacobs F/W 11.12 Iridescent Paillette Skirt
$8,900
89% polyester, 5% wool, 4% polyester film, 2% polyamide.
style.com,net-a-porter.com
I have Harpers Bazaar Australia dec2011 issue infront of me and it says that this skirt is $12,200! jeeeeez!
But maybe thats just the cost in AUD
Either way, crazy

23-11-2011
tfs star

Balmain (24,100 euros)

Vogue.fr

24-11-2011
V.I.P.

I love Haider Ackermann, but almost £7k is a bit much for a scarf,lol

Quote:
HAIDER ACKERMANN
Handmade silk scarf with oxidised silver beads

£6,880.00

brownsfashion.com

24-11-2011
Hell on Heels

^ well if it's handmade and has silver beads it makes kinda sense that it's expensive ^

24-11-2011
V.I.P.

^^Is the silver real? Because if it isn't there was an 100% silk dress posted a few pages back for 2 grand less.

Hell on Heels

^ yes oxidised silver is real silver. not the most precious kind, but it's real. plus if it's truly handmade, no wonder its so expensive

24-11-2011
trendsetter

Obviously people tend to mistake a high price for 'overpriced'. I am pretty sure that Balmain dress is hand-embroidered and if you'll ever do embroidery yourself you will notice how long it takes. It's painful too. And labour in France surely ain't cheap. So it's not THAT overpriced.

And that alligator backback, alligator prices start at 10€ per centimetre (thats the rather cheap one) and cutting alligator is really tricky and you need experienced people for that. And you cant even use the entire skin.

And generally you have to take into consideration that high prices are not always the result of a designer pricing his things abitarily. They have to pay the factory, the production of the fashion shows, fabrics and all the other stuff you would never think about. So if the Euro gets strong or the cotton prices are increasing drasticily, it's not the designer to blame. And you can be sure that every (at least the young ones) don't have too high margins because they have to make sure to actually sell things, which isnt that easy if you have really high prices, stores will less likely buy your stuff...

Last edited by thejarc; 24-11-2011 at 07:41 PM.
25-11-2011
V.I.P.

^True. The scarf I posted probably isn't overpriced either, I guess I was just shocked to see a rather simple-looking scarf selling for that price. Though I must say I generally find Haider Ackermann to be slightly overpriced. He does use expensive fabrics and techniques but the quality isn't especially great and the prices are always very high.

But I think that argument isn't valid for Balmain. No one can deny that everything from that brand is most definitely overpriced.

26-11-2011
fashion icon

^That Haider Ackermann scarf is overpriced because I'm assuming it didn't even cost $1,000 to make it. Simple as that.
Posted via Mobile Device

26-11-2011
fashion insider

ugh I do really want to buy that Balmain ripped tees from the previous page but still, I don't want to spend 1600++ USD for a ripped tees..such a big waste

27-11-2011
front row

The thing with this is that you're saying high fashion brands are overpriced. These brands are made with some of the best fabrics available. I saw an embroidered silk/satin Chanel dress at their flagship on Madison and it was 42,000$ (look number 17 from Paris/Byzance) and it was truly magnificent. The fabric felt like nothing else, and it felt like I was looking at the Mona Lisa. Those clothes are priced according to the amount of money it takes to make the garment and the amount of profit they need to make. When I was at Chanel I saw a woman who was obviously rich, and she was buying a 30k dress that she didn't even know anything about. Why? Because she has the money. There are brands like Balmain however who do overprice, their spring 2011 show is an amazing example. They had a leather skirt that was covered in safety pins for 15,000$, wheras I could make one just like it for around 50$. Brands like Prada, however, really aren't as expensive as one would perceive it to be.

27-11-2011
fashion icon

^That $15,000 Balmain skirt is now on sale for $3,000. That's quite a steal, huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

27-11-2011
backstage pass

^WOW. LOL! if i were one of the people that bought it at 15,000...i would be soooo mad hahaha

27-11-2011
fashion icon

^I know, right? That's a $12,000 mark down. It just shows you how much that skirt actually costed to make! I like Balmain, but I wouldn't buy any of their clothing if wasn't on sale!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced