How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-11-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
The thing with this is that you're saying high fashion brands are overpriced. These brands are made with some of the best fabrics available. I saw an embroidered silk/satin Chanel dress at their flagship on Madison and it was 42,000$ (look number 17 from Paris/Byzance) and it was truly magnificent. The fabric felt like nothing else, and it felt like I was looking at the Mona Lisa. Those clothes are priced according to the amount of money it takes to make the garment and the amount of profit they need to make. When I was at Chanel I saw a woman who was obviously rich, and she was buying a 30k dress that she didn't even know anything about. Why? Because she has the money. There are brands like Balmain however who do overprice, their spring 2011 show is an amazing example. They had a leather skirt that was covered in safety pins for 15,000$, wheras I could make one just like it for around 50$. Brands like Prada, however, really aren't as expensive as one would perceive it to be.
no one is saying all HF brands are overpriced. but your first statement almost implies that their prices are justified, yet then you go on to say the opposite with brands like balmain.

that is all anyone in this thread is saying, that there are some HF brands (sure, balmain is no chanel, but it is still HF) are overpriced. it makes me sick to see their prices haha. and the suckers who paid full price for it!!

27-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
^That $15,000 Balmain skirt is now on sale for $3,000. That's quite a steal, huh?
Posted via Mobile Device
which skirt?

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
which skirt?
This one: http://www.theoutnet.com/product/240...gmIMEiBk50_jAQ

28-11-2011
front row

To me Azzedine Alaia is very expensive.

V.I.P.

^Expensive yes. Overpriced no.

no tom ford, no thanks.

^while we can agree that where and how a garment gets produced has an impact on pricepoint, we cannot discount the intangibles that also go into these prices. while i'm sure alaia uses great technique and expert technicians, much of what one pays for in a shoe or a piece of pret-a-porter comes from the creativity and exclusivity of that house. his shoes cost more than many other (even designer) shoes and not necessarily because more work went into them.

can one really say that three times the work or technique went into this alaia bag vs. this ferragamo bag? one's clearly paying for the exclusivity of the alaia label vs. the ferregamo. and there's nothing wrong with that. if a woman wants to dole out more so that she owns something everyone else doesn't have, is it not her right?

this patent leather alaia bag costs nearly $2645....

almost three times this patent leather ferragamo bag priced at $895....

(image sources: net-a-porter.com; nordstrom.com)

Last edited by mikeijames; 28-11-2011 at 09:07 PM.
29-11-2011
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
one's clearly paying for the exclusivity of the alaia label vs. the ferregamo. and there's nothing wrong with that. if a woman wants to dole out more so that she owns something everyone else doesn't have, is it not her right?
Alaia's sneaky - anyone who's into fashion knows about him, everyone remembers that laser-cut leather waist belt he did a few years ago (that he is still selling variations of), but he's standing in the middle of the party and pretending that nobody knows who he is to exude an air of mystery, and exclusivity.
I think for such world-renowned labels such as Louis Vuitton or Chanel to still manage to create a sense of exclusivity is incredibly creative, and making more money out of doing it is just a stroke of genius.

29-11-2011
scenester

Quote:
^while we can agree that where and how a garment gets produced has an impact on pricepoint, we cannot discount the intangibles that also go into these prices. while i'm sure alaia uses great technique and expert technicians, much of what one pays for in a shoe or a piece of pret-a-porter comes from the creativity and exclusivity of that house. his shoes cost more than many other (even designer) shoes and not necessarily because more work went into them.

can one really say that three times the work or technique went into this alaia bag vs. this ferragamo bag? one's clearly paying for the exclusivity of the alaia label vs. the ferregamo. and there's nothing wrong with that. if a woman wants to dole out more so that she owns something everyone else doesn't have, is it not her right?

this patent leather alaia bag costs nearly $2645....

almost three times this patent leather ferragamo bag priced at $895....

(image sources: net-a-porter.com; nordstrom.com)
If I am not wrong I saw it somewhere that the bag is made of alligator skin...?

I guess that's what explains the price... and the bag is considered cheap for alligator skin...

01-12-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcherrified View Post
If I am not wrong I saw it somewhere that the bag is made of alligator skin...?

I guess that's what explains the price... and the bag is considered cheap for alligator skin...
according to net-a-porter.com, it's simulated alligator.

Quote:
The last word in artisanal luxury, Alaïa bags will instantly elevate every outfit and this alligator-effect tote is a wish list must. The beauty is in the details: high-shine patent-leather, a sophisticated structure, deceptively spacious interior and sumptuous nude leather lining. Carry it as an elegant punctuation point to your around-the-clock wardrobe.
(source: net-a-porter.com)

trendsetter

Yes I admire the clothes, and they're beautifully made, but these prices are a joke. Yes Balmain uses "the best leather" but leather non the less isn't all that expensive, and that skirt seems like it was made in no more than a day. For $15,000, that's not even worth it, let alone $3,000. As a business major, I must say that's clever. A brand like Balmain sets the price that high since there are no close substitues, and well obviously due to their name.

04-12-2011
rising star

Proenza Schouler... mainly the accessories. I don't think the quality dictates the price tag.

I love my man, Alexander Wang, but I would never purchase his items at retail price. The craftsmanship is low and he's selling mainly minimalistic jersey cotton ca. $400 USD.

And lastly, another designer favorite of mine, The Row. Holy-moley Olsens, not everyone was a billionaire by 18. I feel as though their target market in no way, shape, or form could afford anything from The Row line; Elizabeth & James, sure, but that one's not nearly as beautiful or sophisticated.

And don't even get me started on the "luxury" street wear brands that have flooded the market and filled deserted retail space all over SoHo.

fashion icon

^I agree with everything you said, except Proenza being overpriced. They are very innovative with their choices in fabrics, and I've seen their bags in person. They aren't any different in quality from other big New York designers.
Posted via Mobile Device

09-12-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

Balmain chainmail and jersey dress - 24,260€
95% cotton, 5% elastane

THEOUTNET.COM

09-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ UGH

09-12-2011
fashion elite

that dress is awful