How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplethistle View Post
I do wonder how much of the 100K goes to LV and how much goes to the clutch maker that spent half a year working on it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like 0.5%

LV probably rationalizse that it's the "LV" signature pattern in the egg shell that will interest a buyer to pay 100K for it, otherwise it wouldn't fetch such a high price tag.

In fact, I'd go further and say they've already paid the artisans a paltry amount, and then slapped that ridiculous price tag on it to sell to a potential sucker buyer.

16-03-2012
front row

Who cares if you could get the "same look" for less by using a different material? The whole point of that piece is that it's a marvel of craftsmanship -- aside from the fact that it's LV, obviously, because LV had to decide whether to spend its time making that or making a bag which required far less research prototyping but would also be covered with its monograms. If you're only producing five of something, and if it's made so unconventionally (and at the expense of other more profitable pursuits) the price doesn't sound so insane -- more so when you realize before the typical retail markup, it'd cost a lot less.

I doubt the workers who made are so up in arms about the value of their labor vs the value of the things they make -- if they were, do you really think they'd work at LV? I'm sure it's far more likely that whoever made this loved having the chance to work on something so unconventional on the company dime.

16-03-2012
front row

What I take from this is that somewhere in the world, there is a guy who can make stuff out of eggshells. That skill is only somewhat more useful than the guy who makes hammers out of glass or the guy who makes lion cages out of steak.

fashion elite

Any details about Kanye West's clothes?

fashion elite

Louis Vuitton SS 12 dress - $ 61,000

Christian Dior SS 12 dress - $ 14,000

Chanel SS 12 dress - $ 12,500

Lanvin SS 12 dress - $ 10,785

photos from style.com

backstage pass

^ Wow, some of those prices are way excessive. Particularly that LV one. And what's worse is that they're all hideous (perhaps with the exception of the Lanvin dress, though if you ask me that's very much debatable).

Last edited by Alexei; 17-03-2012 at 09:04 AM.
17-03-2012
fashion insider

OMG! 100 000 is just crazy price for LV clutch.

17-03-2012
Geometric Discharge

As soon as any type of embellishment goes onto a garment the price skyrockets due to the handwork necessary to apply the beads. Also, two of those dresses are draped on the stand (though the Dior dress is a terrible example) which is expensive and takes a lot of time.
The flowers on the LV dress are some sort of laser-cut plastic centered with metallic beads; the Chanel dress is covered with sequins on what is probably quite an expensive textured fabric; the skirt of the Dior is draped and the top part is sequinned and the Lanvin is draped with embellished shoulders.
I'd say the LV and the Dior are overpriced, but the former is a statement piece while the latter just looks like a pretty cheap dress.

17-03-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega Magnus View Post
What I take from this is that somewhere in the world, there is a guy who can make stuff out of eggshells. That skill is only somewhat more useful than the guy who makes hammers out of glass or the guy who makes lion cages out of steak.
What's your point? If utility is what you're looking for, you're in the wrong place! No one buys any luxury brand because they've figured out how to make coat that keeps you warmer.

17-03-2012
Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABoy View Post
What's your point? If utility is what you're looking for, you're in the wrong place! No one buys any luxury brand because they've figured out how to make coat that keeps you warmer.
lol what? There are many intelligent buyers who make sure a piece is practical and functional before they buy it. If you're buying a luxury fur coat just for the sake of buying it then that's just sad. Very sad.

17-03-2012
front row

I agree with all of you on the coat and clutch. I think the clutch is impractical as someone would be deathly afraid to walk around with something so delicate. It would have to be something used as a thing to brag about rather than regular use. But I doubt that anyone would be willing to shell out (pun intended) 100,000$ for that. And as for the coat, I completely understand crocodile. The only parts of crocodiles that actually get any kind of use is the meat and the belly hide. But when you buy something that is made of a rare, expensive skin, and it is put together perfectly, you should buy it only if it is timeless. Hence why Couture isn't looked at as a joke. The clothes are all completely timeless. And it's the same with Birkins. They're extremely expensive, but they are hand made and they are made of the highest quality of skins. But this jacket is made specifically for March-August of 2012. Things like that usually have a price range of 2-30k. But this is over 175k. And it's the same with the clutch, it will be bought for strictly bragging rights. But as I mentioned in my last post, why not just take the money for this coat, go to paris, stay at the ritz, and buy a Chanel couture gown for the same amount? It'll be timeless for as long as you own it and it's value will only increase rather than decrease. The only time it decreases is when Couture is being sold at a vintage store.

18-03-2012
rising star

That clutch would mabye be worth 100k if it was made out of a dragons egg. That's just ridiculous, there are plenty of things that take half a year to make which are more practical and better than that...(A small living space, for example) Besides, it would be so fragile, I would be shattered if it broke.

18-03-2012
chaos reigns

Re: Vuitton minudière.

Just because it mentions that it was made with eggshells it does not mean its ENTIRELY made of eggshells. If you look at the details of the bag. Like in here

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/de...to=66#slide=66

you will see that it has a metal clasp. I think the bag is entirely made up of metal and the eggshells are applied like how you would applied enamel on jewelry ... and after that, it looks glossy so I think the eggshells are very well protected.

Now ... if it wasnt for LV, how many people would know of this technique .. and they DO pay the artisans, don´t they ... and if it wasnt through a channel like LV, how often these artisans would work? I loved the minudières when I saw em the first time over and I still love em.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
lol what? There are many intelligent buyers who make sure a piece is practical and functional before they buy it. If you're buying a luxury fur coat just for the sake of buying it then that's just sad. Very sad.
I don't think I made my point clearly. Of course people want a fur coat to be functional and to keep them warm. But a fur coat from Fendi doesn't keep you any warmer than a fur coat from a vintage store or from a less well known brand.

Maybe they use a nicer fur from a rarer animal with a more pristine pelt; or maybe it was cut in such a way to seem particularly fashionable; or maybe you're buying it because it's Fendi -- but none of these things has much to do with the coat's ability to keep one warm.

My point is that this entire market is based on forms of value other than that which is strictly practical or functional; in fact, luxury goods are valuable predominantly for reasons non-practical. Perhaps it's sad to say it aloud, but what moves this market isn't utility.

Last edited by JustABoy; 18-03-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
18-03-2012
tfs star

Daaaaaamn, that Vuitton collection has got to be one of the most expensive in fashion history, if not the most....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced