How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseup View Post
Daaaaaamn, that Vuitton collection has got to be one of the most expensive in fashion history, if not the most....
I agree. It's ridiculous. Maybe that's why his new collection seemed more accessible,wearable, and probably less expensive.

19-03-2012
no tom ford, no thanks.

i don't find those vuitton pieces all that overpriced -- astronomically expensive, yes, but not quite overpriced -- because the reason they've assigned that price tag comes not only in the craftsmanship and creativity, but in the exclusivity of such a garment. also, all of this discussion about "buying a ferrari" or "buying a couture gown" really does not take away from this point because the people buying these garments don't have to choose between the one or the other. they have enough money to buy couture gowns, ferraris, donate millions to charity, have a portfolio of exclusive real estate, and still buy pieces like this.

but, with all that said, i really do wonder if we'll ever see the woman who actually buys and wears this garment at retail and not just as a gift/loan from the house.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
i don't find those vuitton pieces all that overpriced -- astronomically expensive, yes, but not quite overpriced -- because the reason they've assigned that price tag comes not only in the craftsmanship and creativity, but in the exclusivity of such a garment. also, all of this discussion about "buying a ferrari" or "buying a couture gown" really does not take away from this point because the people buying these garments don't have to choose between the one or the other. they have enough money to buy couture gowns, ferraris, donate millions to charity, have a portfolio of exclusive real estate, and still buy pieces like this.

but, with all that said, i really do wonder if we'll ever see the woman who actually buys and wears this garment at retail and not just as a gift/loan from the house.
The clothes are only a small portion of LV's profits. Marc can design whatever the hell he wants and LV will price it however they please because in the end that's not how they'll be making their money. Louis Vuitton RTW is basically a spectacle to showcase the newest bags and to keep people talking. Magazines most likely feel pressure to feature pieces from one of the biggest ad buyers being LV of course. Don't get me wrong, sometimes LV is exceptionally beautiful and other times it's hideous beyond belief. The hype that follows is just a little ridiculous sometimes in my opinion.

19-03-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
you will see that it has a metal clasp. I think the bag is entirely made up of metal and the eggshells are applied like how you would applied enamel on jewelry ... and after that, it looks glossy so I think the eggshells are very well protected.
Yes, I refuse to believe that Vuitton would risk their reputation as one of the world's most exclusive luggage labels by producing something that would smash if one knocked it off the dining table - this clutch may be made of egg shells but it's unlikely to be as fragile as that.

Also, we have to remember that Marc Jacobs isn't some genius who comes up with all of these incredible ideas - there are clothing designers and accessory designers, plus textile designers from all over the world whose ideas, such as the incredible powder-croc finish, are bought by Vuitton. Marc Jacobs just chooses the designs he likes best.

19-03-2012
Some Like It Hot

Every house operates the same, strategically, most stores that pop up by the likes of Chanel, Dior, Vuitton and Gucci (to name afew) are mainly accessories focused, Chanel make very little profit from their clothes, their menswear, which is made in very small quantities and last time I checked are only available in the Rue Cambon store and also available in a store or two China or Tokyo, but that may have changed since, Accessories and Cosmetics are the big money spinners for those houses, hence why by 2015 everyone in China will own at least 2 pieces of Vuitton, according to in house statistics.

Some pieces from the collections aren't even made for production, some are of course made to order or for editorial use only to gather an interest in the brand (i.e Alexander McQueen), its all another marketing strategy for the houses, again, they'll either custom make or alter a look for a publication (such as US Vogue September 2011 with Kate).

no tom ford, no thanks.

^i get that, but while the clothing does not make up a significant portion of their bottom line, they price the garments with some customer base in mind. i'm just curious whether or not the public will ever see these garments on those customers.

V.I.P.

I think if you hang around the right circle of people, and I assume it's a very small circle, you'd see these garments on real customers

And i'd assume 99.9% of us on here won't be experiencing that

20-03-2012
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
I agree. It's ridiculous. Maybe that's why his new collection seemed more accessible,wearable, and probably less expensive.
Darling ... I think you've forgotten the Galliano for Dior $1 million couture dress

Last edited by ultramarine; 20-03-2012 at 12:31 AM.
20-03-2012
Looking Up

I heard that Tisic's Givenchy couture dresses cost around 800,000 Euros each!

20-03-2012
fashion elite

you know that's couture right

20-03-2012
fashion elite

^^ but worth, is indeed couture, not like Chanel or Dior

20-03-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABoy View Post
My point is that this entire market is based on forms of value other than that which is strictly practical or functional; in fact, luxury goods are valuable predominantly for reasons non-practical. Perhaps it's sad to say it aloud, but what moves this market isn't utility.
I don't think it's sad.
What market is moved by functionality? Maybe groceries such as fuit and vegatables? But then again, they can still be organic, and sure some people will buy organic products because they care about the environment and what they stuff their bodies with. Other people do it for the image. Is that really that different from how people consume fashion?
My point is: Sure I want to stay warm, but I would like to look nice in the meantime.

Oh and about the eggshell clutch. Eggshells are used in Vietnam Lacquerware eg. in bowls. And is coated with something to harden it and make it usable. So I'm guessing that has been done to the clutch as well.

20-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinetush View Post

Oh and about the eggshell clutch. Eggshells are used in Vietnam Lacquerware eg. in bowls. And is coated with something to harden it and make it usable. So I'm guessing that has been done to the clutch as well.
and east asian artisans use the insides of seashells (mother of pearl, or nacre) for a similar effect...you won't find a mother of pearl vase or panel for 100K, though. I think that's really what the issue is. that clutch is extremely overpriced no matter how you try to slice and dice it.

20-03-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
With details like these?
(click for HQ)

Katie Grand said all of the tweeds were handmade and some of the fabrics used were €1,000 per metre.
(style.com)

20-03-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
With details like these?

Katie Grand said all of the tweeds were handmade and some of the fabrics used were €1,000 per metre.
(style.com)
Well not everything obviously. But a hell of a lot more than the previous show.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced