How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-08-2012
tfs star

Balenciaga F/W12

Sweater: $6,250.00

Jacket: $30,000.00

Bottega Veneta F/W12

Gown: $24,150.00

style.com

02-08-2012
tfs star

o.O n she's wearing like 10 more layers of clothes underneath the coat, lol....it has to be one of the most expensive collections ever made.

03-08-2012
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseup View Post
Im diying to see Vuitton's Fall collection prices...i'll probably have to get my cardiac rhythm checked before tho...
A large amount of the collection is Made to Order so that in itself says the figures exceed £20,000 for some pieces, definitely Demi couture with how intricate the collection is.

V.I.P.

Does somebody know why it says "price upon request"? I thought RTW was all standardized prices.

03-08-2012
Some Like It Hot

^It usually means Made to Order on some pieces.

fashion elite

$32,662 for a coat with some 'precious' pieces? C'mon, those are just a few crystals, anybody can apply them.

And people say that an amazing Balmain jacket who worth $6,000 is overpriced...

06-08-2012
trendsetter

^ I totally agree, I think the overpricing of Chanel is somewhat part of their marketing strategy they want to be part of the highest level of luxury. Balmain jackets do have more work, design, structure etc & their prices are way more affordable.

06-08-2012
Some Like It Hot

^You're right, BUT Chanel is very exclusive, it [ready to wear] is only sold within a select number of boutiques world wide, the menswear even less so, like I've previously stated the menswear is only available through 4 boutiques world wide (as far as I'm aware, perhaps 1 or 2 more), so the number of pieces made per look is very limited already, a large amount of their boutique floor space is taken up by accessories and fragrance & beauty, so in comparison to Balmain who have boutiques in several cities, they sell wholesale to department stores and boutiques world wide with more units per item than Chanel, because they are selling to places like Harvey Nicols, Selfridges, Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, Net-a-Porter, Matches etc etc... as opposed to Chanel who only stock their Ready To Wear in their own boutiques.

I remember back in 2006 or something, over 70% of Lanvin's revenue for the financial year came from wholesale and they wanted to claw some of that back to their own boutiques and therefore started to open more across the world.

Last edited by Chanelcouture09; 06-08-2012 at 11:12 AM.
06-08-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
Chanel is very exclusive, it [ready to wear]
Doesn't matter, they sell clothes in every big country. This is a business, and the main goal is to sell as much. They pay advertising to sell their products.

If you want 300 Chanel jackets from actual collection you can buy them!

06-08-2012
Some Like It Hot

^A large amount of their advertising is actually their accessories, for example, Boy Chanel (with Alice Dellal), Coco Cocoon (With Lily Allen), etc etc... they've even hired Jerry Hall, Crystal Renn & Blake Lively to front their specialized Chanel Accessories campaigns, most of their stores only carry Accessories, clothing is made to the very minimum, especially the pieces that cost upwards of £10,000, and I would pretty much doubt their units exceed three figures for some pieces, if not most, they earn most of their profit from Fragrance & Make-up and Accessories, in most cities around the world you'll find a Chanel Cosmetics Counter, if not several and they rake in the cash.

Again, I read somewhere that Ready To Wear only produces 20% of their annual revenue each financial year, they are in a similar boat as that of Louis Vuitton, most of their revenue comes from accessories, ready to wear equals very little in percentages for them, but they are trying to change that with their resort collections.

V.I.P.

Yep, that's very true. From a fiscal point of view, the actual Ready to Wear (and Haute Couture of course) is quite nonsense as the cash flow of these power houses is generated through the trade of cosmetics, accesoires and bags. I think RTW is much more a way to maintaining and identifying the company's image, creating buzz, and boost the sales volume of the brand's other lines and product groups, after all.

06-08-2012
trendsetter

Chanel raised their prices on leather goods a while ago by 20% and stated that they desired more exclusivity.
Quote:
We don’t want Chanel to become like Louis Vuitton. They are taking more of an Hermés approach where it can take three years to get the bag you like,” she said. “We want Chanel to stay a lux item and not be Main Street.”
styleelite.com

Chanel has very high prices compared to Prada and Louis Vuitton but in the other hand I have been told that their customers are a lot more loyal.
Also if they make 20% of their revenue off clothes that is actually quite a lot considering that they also sell purses, shoes, fragrances, make-up, nail polish, watches and god-knows-what.

Hermes' financial reports also say a 20% share of rtw, 25% for Prada (both of them state 50% for leather goods).

Obviously the big money is being made with leather goods and shoes (make-up and fragrances to a lesser extend, since most of them are being produced through a licence or a joint-venture as in Pradas case, Lanvin for instance sold their fragrance division. The big exception here are Hermes and Chanel who create and distribute on their own) but clothes are a. a very easy way to generate press and b. an easy way to simply get your message (brand values) to the customer. Louis Vuitton didnt have a runway line until Marc Jacobs came on board in the 90s and the rtw was a significant part of making the brand high-end again and sales have increased heavily since then.

06-08-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
^A large amount of their advertising is actually their accessories, for example, Boy Chanel (with Alice Dellal), Coco Cocoon (With Lily Allen), etc etc... they've even hired Jerry Hall, Crystal Renn & Blake Lively to front their specialized Chanel Accessories campaigns, most of their stores only carry Accessories, clothing is made to the very minimum, especially the pieces that cost upwards of £10,000, and I would pretty much doubt their units exceed three figures for some pieces, if not most, they earn most of their profit from Fragrance & Make-up and Accessories, in most cities around the world you'll find a Chanel Cosmetics Counter, if not several and they rake in the cash.

Again, I read somewhere that Ready To Wear only produces 20% of their annual revenue each financial year, they are in a similar boat as that of Louis Vuitton, most of their revenue comes from accessories, ready to wear equals very little in percentages for them, but they are trying to change that with their resort collections.
The statistics you mention is very interesting, thank you for that

I am a huge Chanel fan & visited many of their boutiques worldwide. When you say most of their stores only sell accessories do you mean as in floor space or actual boutiques that only sell accessories? Because I don't ever remember entering a boutique that didn't sell RTW clothing as well so many of them have entire levels dedicated to RTW..

07-08-2012
backstage pass

Isn't surprised that brands like Chanel's RTW collection only stands 20% of the entire revenue. Leather goods are more minimal for everyone and price range are more affordable, unlike RTW price range are ten thousands onwards.

But for the RTW to be sold, I believe most of their boutique do sells it, just on higher level of the boutique that not everyone can actually 'dare' to go up. And for instance, in singapore, only a certain amount of design from the RTW collection would be brought in the country, and these outfit are usually more minimal and less detailed.

07-08-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Isn't surprised that brands like Chanel's RTW collection only stands 20% of the entire revenue.
They have other clothes that don't belong to any collections..esential or simple clothes like jackets, suits, sweaters, etc. As bags, you can buy a bag from RTW or you can buy a 2.55 bag.

How many procents produces Lanvin?

Last edited by GIVENCHYlover; 07-08-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced