How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-08-2013
backstage pass

^Fabric ?

style.com

11-08-2013
front row

$140k doesn't seem that bad for a fur coat, because those Prada coats have a uniue design to them but they're timeless, unline that Louis Vuitton crocodile coat I posted way back when. This coat will be just as beautiful and relevant in twenty years as it is now. My mom's best friend back when she lived in New york worked as Nan Kempner's assistant, and she would clean out her closet and could take whatever she wanted. Her friend took a Russian Sable coat and when she got it appraised it was worth $100k. And remember, this is the eighties. My mom got a scarf, which I slightly resent her for not getting something else, meaning everything else..

Last edited by lepetitcouturier; 11-08-2013 at 05:23 AM.
12-08-2013
trendsetter

Stella McCartney
Wool-blend jacquard jacket
$2,400

Oversized wool and angora-blend sweater
$1,210

net-a-porter

It's ugly as hell too. Literally everything from Stella belongs in this thread.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 12-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.
13-08-2013
windowshopping

I don't really think there's anything extortionate about the prices...

fashion insider

^I think compared to other items of the same quality, Stellas designs are a bit pricey... But, you know, she does have a famous last name, so...

I don't think a piece needs to cost >£££££ in order to be over priced...

13-08-2013
Some Like It Hot

On a whole though Stella's brand is priced at a very accessible level such as £475 for a dress or £340 for a pair of tailored trousers, there are just the odd few pieces within that have just a little bit more craftsmanship that require the pricing to be a little bit more.

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koibito View Post
it also happended to Saint Laurent. But i'm wondering what makes the white dress costs 20900$ beside the brand.

I have the same question too...

13-08-2013
V.I.P.

I'll never understand hating on Stella.

13-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
On a whole though Stella's brand is priced at a very accessible level such as £475 for a dress or £340 for a pair of tailored trousers, there are just the odd few pieces within that have just a little bit more craftsmanship that require the pricing to be a little bit more.
Really, very accessible? I thought high-street brands are accessible, but to each their own I guess.

I just don't see how such a high price can be justified for a plain wool sweater. I don't think it's hand made.
Maybe my perception of the brand's prices is based mainly on ridiculously expensive plastic shoes and bags, but however.

13-08-2013
Some Like It Hot

^Well when you have high-street brands selling a £350 dress in its thousands and you have a Stella McCartney dress at £475 that is sold in less quantities I know which one I would spend a little bit more on and have something less people are going to have that also has a brand and the craftsmanship behind it.

The stella sweater Isn't just 'plain wool' its a blend of wool and angora.

trendsetter

OK maybe I overstated a little, but I find a majority of her designs overpriced for what they are.
And finding a dress from a high street brand that costs 350 £ is rather unusual, so as is finding Stella's for a bit more. Even her rather basic dresses are sold at a price point of 1k $.
Except of cashmere and silk (vegan, right ) she is not using expensive materials.

14-08-2013
tfs star

It's ridiculous that her accessories are priced at nearly the same price point as others that use real leather. Her shoes are especially overpriced.

Faux Patent Leather Loafers: $895 usd

There's also a faux leather bag thats priced over $1,500 usd as well.

Netaporter

19-08-2013
front row

stella is overpriced as I observed too esp. in netaporter and yes her shoes and bags are faux leather.prada is much more overpriced with plastic bags.also, LV bags.for sure.

19-08-2013
front row

On her defense, it is much more expensive for her to produce those pieces, because no one else orders high-quality faux leathers and furs from the factories (crap quality is totally different thing and different factories). Her faux leather and fur is extremely well made and highly developed, so just because its not real leather doesn't mean it's cheap or cheap to produce. Plus the actual shoe looks very well made, so it's also the handcraft that costs there.

19-08-2013
technicolor tweed

Stella manufactures a lot of her RTW at the same factory that produces for Balenciaga and Gucci.
The quality is very good though I feel her pricepoint is a bit forced - I do not feel her brand is in the same tier as Gucci or Balenciaga which are heritage houses after all.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced