How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-06-2010
fashion insider

Proenza Schouler, their price tags scare me...

10-06-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
i think what alot of people forget is the quality of the material used and the craftsmanship that goes into it, like Harumi said, Crocodile skin takes alot to treat, dye and shape into the preferred shape, thats why it costs so much
yeah balmain is overpriced, and i've even admitted it but alot of the work is done by hand, like the bleaching of jeans and embroidery done on alot of their pieces
how much "craftmanship" lies in a ripped t-shirt (im referring to the balmain top posted earlier)?

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptheglock View Post
how much "craftmanship" lies in a ripped t-shirt (im referring to the balmain top posted earlier)?
when prada sends out cut-off shorts or fendi sends out threadbare jackets or jil sander sends out ripped skirts, no one questions the craftmanship and gladly ponies up whatever they charge. but when someone decides to take on the everyday and give it the fashion rockglam treatment, suddenly the question of craftmanship and quality comes up.

further, not to belabor this point, but it hasn't been said since this new thread began, balmain is not a big fashion house owned by a huge fashion conglomerate (which can drive down costs for all of their brands by virtue of their size). they actually have to make a profit on the pieces they sell. they aren't just putting on a runway show for fun or shooting an expensive ad campaign as a vanity exercise or to sell handbags and makeup or simply to create some "brand image". they're actually showing clothes and advertising clothes they intend to wind up on real clients.

style.com

Last edited by mikeijames; 12-06-2010 at 10:32 AM.
12-06-2010
rising star

hm... Christian Dior.

no tom ford, no thanks.

these great chanel leather pants? $8,510.

style.com

fashion elite

^Chanel pricing are ridiculous but I think people pay as much for the garment as they pay for the customer service.
They treat their clients very, very well.

15-06-2010
Looking Up

^ Really? The Beverly Hills branch was very ordinary service last time I went. I mean yeah they're helpful but it's not exactly worship. And even if they are the best service in town, I don't think it justifies the price. How much did it cost to make those pants? $50?

15-06-2010
Looking Up

Versace Metal-embellished mini skirt S/S 2010
£ 4,881.58

Versace Embellished silk-crepe gown
£ 15,176.93

netaporter

16-06-2010
DŌMMkammern

As it's been said, Chanel is not a brand of which we can say the prices are all that overhyped.
Quality is impeccable, they ensure a constant brand buzz that is in no way cheap (how much does it cost to fly an army of +30 topmodels to the other side of the world, for an average 1/2 minute on the runway?), and they treat customers extremely well.
Chanel doesn't just hand you a glass of champagne when you are a client. They throw events and parties to which you are invited, send Christmas gifts (perfumes, flowers, silk squares...), they welcome you to visit their showrooms, late store openings... they keep a very VERY close relationship with a large number of their clients (this is not just a TOP10 big spenders kind of thing).

Whoever decides to buy the infamous pair of leather pants, opens the doors to all of that i am sure (presuming of course, that this is not the kind of 'myfirst-myoneandonly' chanel investemt) and I say for some people, all of these things Chanel gives back to them can be worth more than the $8000 they are charged for the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
^ Really? The Beverly Hills branch was very ordinary service last time I went. I mean yeah they're helpful but it's not exactly worship. And even if they are the best service in town, I don't think it justifies the price. How much did it cost to make those pants? $50?
On a side note, I don't think it has ever been commented how that's a question people ask quite lightly... (not personally talking about you Squizree, you were just the last one to ask)
i mean, are we talking full or direct, are we measuring how 'rich' the company gets in terms of gross margins, or looking beyond indirect costs, do we care about the other competitors prices or not, how do we quantify utility, opportunity costs, reservation prices...
the whole science of pricing... it is not at all simple!!!

17-06-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

^that's part of the exclusivity of these items. i really don't think people understand how much that figures into the world of high fashion these days. a woman will spend more to not see her garment on one of her peers. also, as you mention, more and more, they're buying into a lifestyle. it's all a part of the experience. modern men and women aren't buying just for the quality or just for the exclusivity or just for brand image or just for the star treatment. they're sophisticated enough to buy for it all. and how do you put a price on that? well, that's the enitre business of the luxury experience -- and it's really bigger than fashion in the end -- and so much more goes into it than cost of the material.

Last edited by mikeijames; 17-06-2010 at 12:13 AM.
17-06-2010
Looking Up

^ That's not necessarily true. A lot of people who buy overpriced clothes just buy them so they can associated with money. Many people don't care about quality, they just wanna look "cool" and "rich" wearing whatever.
That's why loads of brands will plaster their names and logos and monograms on simple shirts; they feed off people's insecurities that if they buy their stuff they'll look "rich" and "chic" and "stylish".
Fashion prices continue to rise while their quality decreases. Gucci is what comes to mind here. Their clothes are RUBBISH, yet their prices are insanely high. They're priced AT LEAST 200% more than what they're worth.
I will GLADLY and HAPPILY pay hundreds/thousands of dollars for designer of clothing that is actually worth it. Unless you're a label's ambassador, buying overpriced clothing just for "brand image" is just shallow.

17-06-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

^you make a valid point, but we're much to quick to lump all brands into the same category. and if you think those label obsessed girls don't care about quality? let the strap on their new bag snap or the heel on their new shoe break. you'll discover that beneath that veneer, they do care about quality. i don't care if it's your husband's money or the money you earned by sitting in a corner office, you're invested in the pieces you buy for whatever those reasons may be.

lots of people stay at the ritz carlton just to say they're staying in the ritz carlton. you might not think they care about turn down service or the floral arrangements in the lobby, but they're just the type of people to care about those things. ironically, sometimes it's the "old money" types that take everything in stride from drafty castles to watered down drinks.

Last edited by mikeijames; 17-06-2010 at 01:32 AM.
24-06-2010
front row

easy .....top of my head

#1 overpriced and overrated designer [s]= TOM FORD followed very closely by MARC JACOBS [ at both LV and own label ]..........lastly STELLA MCCARTNEY - did i mention overhyped too ??

24-06-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Balmain

Slashed army t-shirt

$1,625

***Do not quote images

net-a-porter
That is just BEYOND ridiculous, i'm a loss for words. I wouldn't even pay $40 for that piece of crap, let alone $1,625. Whoever would even think of buying that is stupid, in my opinion.

Last edited by Jungla_Juana; 24-06-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: See TFS community rules
30-07-2010
V.I.P.

I think Marc Jacobs has been mentioned quite often along with Balmain in this thread, but I still had to post this example:

Marc Jacobs Jersey Top

theoutnet.com

original price: €1,092.33

This looks like something from VS Pink or Juicy Couture, but definitely not like a $1500 designer item!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced