How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-11-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
and how much was Kanye asking for the pieces he sent down the runway...pot, meet kettle.
He didn't sell anything from the runway though (apart from the shoes to be fair)

02-11-2013
Power to the 99%

One of the articles mentioned he had prices in the $5K range ... I can only assume it was value for the money. Like for a cloak of invisibility, $5K would totally be worth it. (I don't know that that would be very Kanye though ... I believe he's all about the opposite of invisibility ...)

03-11-2013
front row

Regarding Mary Katrantzou, what a waste of Lesage embroidery. The art of high embroidery is dying and this is what she's using it for?! The beauty of the embroidered materials is completely lost in the ugly designs, and that's a shame.

03-11-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post
Regarding Mary Katrantzou, what a waste of Lesage embroidery. The art of high embroidery is dying and this is what she's using it for?! The beauty of the embroidered materials is completely lost in the ugly designs, and that's a shame.
It's the opposite of a waste.. Mary is popular, wether you like her work or not...

If anything by doing the embroidery for her, the art of their embroidery is reaching a huge young group of people who are interested in her work. It also shows the range of possibilities with embroidery.. it's not the never dying flower patterns on couture dresses.

03-11-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianThomas View Post
It's the opposite of a waste.. Mary is popular, wether you like her work or not...

If anything by doing the embroidery for her, the art of their embroidery is reaching a huge young group of people who are interested in her work. It also shows the range of possibilities with embroidery.. it's not the never dying flower patterns on couture dresses.
I see your point, But it's different than my point. Of course it's a matter of taste. I mostly don't like her work, but this last collection was, I think, her worst. I don't "blame" Lesage for exposing their work to a broader younger audience, I "blame" Katrantzou for not being such a great designer and not putting more thought into shaping (usually reoccurring with her prints as well) these precious pieces of hard labor. The prices are justified only by the work of Lesage and not by the work of Katrantzou, and that's the waste imo.

03-11-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazebo View Post
I see your point, But it's different than my point. Of course it's a matter of taste. I mostly don't like her work, but this last collection was, I think, her worst. I don't "blame" Lesage for exposing their work to a broader younger audience, I "blame" Katrantzou for not being such a great designer and not putting more thought into shaping (usually reoccurring with her prints as well) these precious pieces of hard labor. The prices are justified only by the work of Lesage and not by the work of Katrantzou, and that's the waste imo.
Well you're right there..

Part of the pricing of her clothing is probably also the fact that because of all the prints and the exact positioning of it she is wasting quite a lot of fabric because you can't lay out the pieces as economical as possible if the print has to match etc.. and I've heard she uses the actual fabric with print to make the final toile as well. Both things she probably factors into the price.

(and yes I think it's kinda stupid)

03-11-2013
Power to the 99%

^ The only way to really get the fit (and other things) right is to use the real fabric. I believe Michael Kors does this as well.

I think a key point here is that Lesage approached Mary, not the other way round.

05-01-2014
rising star

Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane
Black satin jumpsuit (sold with belt),£2,170

Harper's Bazaar UK - February 2014/stylebistro
----
Chanel Tweed jacket, £7,075; matching skirt, £3,540; leather and wool
boots, £575; metal and pearl rings, £530 each

Harper's Bazaar UK - February 2014/stylebistro

Last edited by rebel; 05-01-2014 at 03:00 AM.
05-01-2014
rising star

Céline - Paris Spring 2014
TOP, $2,050, SKIRT,$2,100, NECKLACE,$1,650, CUTOUT BRACELET,$620, SQUARE BRACELET, $850, WIDE BRACELET,$1,300, SHOES,$3,690, BAG,$2,300, CÉLINE.

stylebistro/magazine3k (Marie Claire USA - February 2014)

Last edited by rebel; 05-01-2014 at 04:12 AM.
08-01-2014
fashion insider

Chanel Clear Plexiglass 'No. 5' Perfume Bottle Clutch 'vintage'
$16,500

1stdibs.com

08-01-2014
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
Chanel Clear Plexiglass 'No. 5' Perfume Bottle Clutch 'vintage'
$16,500

1stdibs.com
Plexiglass? Nonsense. Solidified unicorn tears for sure

08-01-2014
fashion insider

tfs star

Speaking of Chanel....

Bricolage canvas backpack
$ 3400

imaxtree

25-01-2014
Ère de ℳodernité

^ Apart from being absolutely hideous, I don't find it that expensive...

tfs star

When a bag is not an investment or even nice to look, I think it is vulgar to spend that much money on a bag to be honest I know everyone won't agree. Someone will actually spend 3400 USD on that bag...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced