Most Overpriced Designer? #2 - Page 67 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
07-03-2015
Hell on Heels

i think the comparison between the mcqueen and the givenchy gown doesn't take into consideration that there's 6 years between them and inflation and increases in prices of luxury goods have happened. (and also hype, lol)
whereas the balmain dress and the mcqueen one are from the same year, that really makes no sense to me

08-03-2015
trendsetter

That McQueen gown cannot be that cheap?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

08-03-2015
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
But how was that McQueen dress made? It looks almost like a couture piece, and silk and feathers can be expensive. I expected that dress to be like $40,000. At its real price it's a steal, that's the most sensibly priced designer piece I've ever encountered
It does look like a couture piece, I highly doubt that £6,260 can be the correct price, add a zero after the first six and I'd be more likely to accept it.

The shape itself is couture - the enormous fishtail and the strapless bodice would require a huge amount of inner structure.
Then there's the price of the meters of silk the feathers are applied to, then the black silk lining.
It's not likely that the McQueen team just happened to find feathers on a roll that matched the palette of the collection - the feathers would be dyed, half red, half black, and my knowledge doesn't extend to feather application, but it wouldn't have been a hilarious job I'm sure.
From the striped look of the colours, perhaps the feathers came attached to tape they then layered (tile-like) on top of each other, therefore enabling a machinist to do it. Either way, it would have taken hours and hours.
Interns probably did slave over this dress into 36 hour days for the show, but labour is labour and how many of these dresses are going to be made? If you wanted to buy this dress I'm definite it wouldn't be a four figure sum.

08-03-2015
fashion elite

The thing about the McQueen (the same for the Tom Ford) is that even if the one on the runway was made in the atelier of McQueen, the embroideries the on real one in the store were made in India. The same for Tom Ford.
Even if the craftmanship is exceptionnal, you cannot compare it to Givenchy that can afford the work of a parisian, couture atelier.

Ok, 13000£ is very expensive but it was made in France by the Givenchy atelier.

08-03-2015
V.I.P.

Salvatore Ferragamo Intarsia Mink Coat
$89,000

Style/Moda Operandi

09-03-2015
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel View Post
Saint Laurent
Studded bamboo tote € 1,589

mytheresa.com
Japan - ¥ 299,000 - € 2 277 - $ 2 473
mytheresa new price - € 1,890 (for EU) $ 2,750 (for US)

09-03-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
The thing about the McQueen (the same for the Tom Ford) is that even if the one on the runway was made in the atelier of McQueen, the embroideries the on real one in the store were made in India. The same for Tom Ford.
Even if the craftmanship is exceptionnal, you cannot compare it to Givenchy that can afford the work of a parisian, couture atelier.

Thanks for that insight! I didn't know that was an industry practice.

09-03-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
Salvatore Ferragamo Intarsia Mink Coat
$89,000
Style/Moda Operandi
I don't find it that overpriced considering the amount of work that kind of fur coat needs.

09-03-2015
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post

Just curious as to how you know this? I didn't know this and am curious to know more.

09-03-2015
flaunt the imperfection

i just read an interview with karl lagerfeld in the nytimes who talked about how few houses still maintain the standard of quality in their workmanship...
he named two ateliers outside of chanel...

one was givenchy...(where mcqueen once worked- so he probably learned some tricks!)

the other was dior...(it bears noting here - this is the standard john galliano is used to working with)

article
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/fa...busy.html?_r=0

Last edited by softgrey; 09-03-2015 at 09:28 AM.

09-03-2015
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i just read an interview with karl lagerfeld in the nytimes who talked about how few houses still maintain the standard of quality in their workmanship...
he named two ateliers outside of chanel...

one was givenchy...(where mcqueen once worked- so he probably learned some tricks!)

the other was dior...(it bears noting here - this is the standard john galliano is used to working with)

article
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/fa...busy.html?_r=0
He is talking about Haute Couture...and he is mentionning mostly Givenchy & Dior because they are the 2 other big structures in HC, after Chanel.
Let's not forget that Chanel own Paraffection (which means Lemarié, Maison Michel, Goessens..etc) and those 2 house depends on those atelier to make their HC work.
Valentino & Gaultier for example doesn't use those suppliers. They have their own structures.

But in terms of RTW, Givenchy is nowhere at the level of Chanel as they're not making 100% of their clothes in France, Italy, Uk (like Chanel do).

09-03-2015
V.I.P.

^ Made in Spain/Bulgary/etc, asambled in Paris. Trust me!

09-03-2015
Automated Thread Manager

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread Here

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, designer, overpriced