Most Overpriced Designer? #3 - Page 22 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
21-04-2017
V.I.P.

You can't really leave this out of this thread...the most Demna item ever.

http://www.today.com/style/balenciag...m_npd_td_tw_ma

21-04-2017
fashion elite

^^
It's not overpriced to me. I mean, it's a large leather bag. It may look like the Ikea shopping bag but in terms of quality and all, it's still different.

It remind me of the Louis Vuitton "Barbes" bag in 2007. People concentrated on the look but the bag was in woven leather.

I find Prada RTW more and more overpriced...

21-04-2017
fashion insider

I don't care if the leather itself was made out of Cristobal Balenciaga's own skin (how's that for "archival Balenciaga?"). At the end of the day, a big, blue Ikea shopping bag is nothing more than a big, blue Ikea shopping bag. And those "quality" and "craftsmanship" arguments don't really cut it for me--that's what's expected of luxury goods in the first place.
Show me some actual original design, developed organically from your own imagination and instinct, and then we'll talk.

21-04-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
I don't care if the leather itself was made out of Cristobal Balenciaga's own skin (how's that for "archival Balenciaga?"). At the end of the day, a big, blue Ikea shopping bag is nothing more than a big, blue Ikea shopping bag. And those "quality" and "craftsmanship" arguments don't really cut it for me--that's what's expected of luxury goods in the first place.
Show me some actual original design, developed organically from your own imagination and instinct, and then we'll talk.
also the quality of the Ikea-bags are very good!

21-04-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Yes maybe but for me original design has nothing to do with the price in terms of handbags. There are a lot of things that i find more overpriced than that at Balenciaga and beyond, at Vetements.

I'm much, much more offended by the prices of that Juicy Couture tracksuit sold for 1590 Euros.
At least, it's a leather bag.
I get your point but for me it's kinda "decent" coming from Demna.

21-04-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
I'm much, much more offended by the prices of that Juicy Couture tracksuit sold for 1590 Euros.
At least, it's a leather bag.
I get your point but for me it's kinda "decent" coming from Demna.
Yeah, at least the source material for the bag is costly. What justifies a $2,250 price tag on a Vetements Juicy Couture velour jumpsuit (78% cotton, 22% polyester)?

*mytheresa.com

And let's not forget that obnoxious DHL t-shirt (90% cotton, 10% elastane) at $330.

*antonioli.eu

backstage pass

Oh, yeah that DHL t-shirt. I could easily go to DHL and ask for a t-shirt, and it definitely wouldn't be as pricey as the Vetements one. The only difference is the "Vetements" tag inside - and on the back.

backstage pass

Let's not forget...

Vetements SS16
Hoodie: $735
Sweatpants: $665

fwrd

#Resist

Quote:
So harsh

I consider myself a great appreciator of irony, but the only way I would laugh about this is if I were the one taking the money to the bank.

It is a huge leather bag, and my leather tote that's smaller, I don't remember exactly what I paid, but $1000-something, and the quality of the leather is nothing to write home about. The design, though, is better than this ...

The caption says it 'looks just like' the Ikea bag, but really it doesn't. The straps are similar, the shape and size are similar I guess, and it has the Smurf blue, but otherwise they're nothing alike.

21-04-2017
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
So harsh

I consider myself a great appreciator of irony, but the only way I would laugh about this is if I were the one taking the money to the bank.

It is a huge leather bag, and my leather tote that's smaller, I don't remember exactly what I paid, but $1000-something, and the quality of the leather is nothing to write home about. The design, though, is better than this ...

The caption says it 'looks just like' the Ikea bag, but really it doesn't. The straps are similar, the shape and size are similar I guess, and it has the Smurf blue, but otherwise they're nothing alike.

Agree. So what if they have augmented the design here and there, change the Colour add a few pockets and ribbons here and there....does that necessarily then make it justifiable?

It looks like a huge designer bag and for that price it isn't overpriced per se. Of course, if one wants to argue that all designer bags are overpriced then that's another argument altogether but this Balenciaga one certainly isn't

15 Hours Ago
backstage pass

If you thought the Nordstrom rock thing was overpriced, check out this $840 USD paperweight from Hermes. I mean everything they have for the home is ridiculously overpriced, but I mean...it's just a rock.

Also Chanel costume jewelry is overpriced for what it is, the materials aren't very high quality and I hear many say the glued in fake pearls on their CC earrings constantly fall out.

V.I.P.

Saint Laurent FW17-18 Rhinestone Boots $10.000

NIKI 105 THIGH-HIGH BOOT WITH ALL-OVER EMBROIDERED WHITE CRYSTALS
50% POLYESTER, 50% COTTON
LEATHER SOLE

wwd.com / wmagazine.com

Last edited by GIVENCHYlover; 11 Hours Ago at 12:29 AM.
5 Hours Ago
backstage pass

ssense.com
Vêtements charges 1290€ for a coton (not even 100% coton) sweater...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squilliam View Post
If you thought the Nordstrom rock thing was overpriced, check out this $840 USD paperweight from Hermes. I mean everything they have for the home is ridiculously overpriced, but I mean...it's just a rock.

Also Chanel costume jewelry is overpriced for what it is, the materials aren't very high quality and I hear many say the glued in fake pearls on their CC earrings constantly fall out.
I think the point of costume jewlery is that they are not high quality pieces. Everyone knows (or should know) that they are only paying for the logo.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I think the point of costume jewlery is that they are not high quality pieces. Everyone knows (or should know) that they are only paying for the logo.
I have cheap costume jewelry from H&M that's good quality. If they're gonna charge so much for fake metals and stones they better be good quality. I think though costume jewelry just means it's fake not lower in quality.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, #3, designer, overpriced