Most Overpriced Designer? #3 - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
18-03-2015
V.I.P.

You can't justify the price of any luxury product.

The price of the fabric is not a problem in this case because this Saint Laurent SS15 dress, 100% silk is only $1250, so maybe that fabric is really special

luisaviaroma.com

V.I.P.

To be honest I think that the fabric and other costs related to garment creation in luxury segment have very little to do with the final retail price. You mostly pay for the brand, and no matter how they try to justify their outrageous prices, no fabric or labour are that costly. I mean, thousands of dollars for synthetic fabric (and why does Stella McCarteny price her footwear and bags as if they are made from leather if beyond my understanding), but even if the fabric is made from natural fibers, still there are some pieces in this thread that make me question whether we are living in a real world. Coats for >10 K, seriously, it is not couture, and even if something is made from real fur, fur doesn't cost that much either. I know, this is the point of being a luxury brand, but, I might have lived under the rock for years, the prices I see nowadays are beyond shocking.

Last edited by Sweet rus; 18-03-2015 at 03:34 PM.
18-03-2015
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet rus View Post
To be honest I think that the fabric and other costs related to garment creation in luxury segment have very little to do with the final retail price. You mostly pay for the brand, and no matter how they try to justify their outrageous prices, no fabric or labour are that costly. I mean, thousands of dollars for synthetic fabric (and why does Stella McCarteny price her footwear and bags as if they are made from leather if beyond my understanding), but even if the fabric is made from natural fibers, still there are some pieces in this thread that make me question whether we are living in a real world. Coats for >10 K, seriously, it is not couture, and even if something is made from real fur, fur doesn't cost that much either. I know, this is the point of being a luxury brand, but, I might have lived under the rock for years, the prices I see nowadays are beyond shocking.
I think prices are just getting higher and higher. I always think about the miu miu double-strap mary janes i bought in 2008? (2007? can't remember), the most important items of that collection, a runway item and they cost me 280 euros.
What would 280 euros buy me in a miu miu store nowadays? Last time i went there was nothing - even basic flats - under 440 euros. i know inflation and the crisis made the prices rise up, but still, im talking less than 10 years ago, not decades.

18-03-2015
V.I.P.

^I'm with you two. Very curious when the prices will stagnate.

V.I.P.

^ 20% price increase - The CHANEL Boy Bag currently retails for 3,100 euros in Europe, but will rise to 3,720 euros this year (in April)

Btw, 2014 has been the best year ever at Chanel

Last edited by GIVENCHYlover; 18-03-2015 at 04:49 PM.

18-03-2015
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
I think prices are just getting higher and higher. I always think about the miu miu double-strap mary janes i bought in 2008? (2007? can't remember), the most important items of that collection, a runway item and they cost me 280 euros.
What would 280 euros buy me in a miu miu store nowadays? Last time i went there was nothing - even basic flats - under 440 euros. i know inflation and the crisis made the prices rise up, but still, im talking less than 10 years ago, not decades.
I totally agree with you... it seems to be the case especially with shoes and leather goods. I work at Max Mara and even though our clothes are rather affordable (if you compare to the high quality/fabrics), the shoes can cost up to 800 euros. Just today there was a customer wondering how can a pair of Birkenstock-style summer flats with rubber soles cost just under 500 euros. They had a small piece of real snake skin over the toes and, while beautifully made, I still think they were a bit overpriced.

Miu Miu has been repositioned in recent years to be closer to Prada in regards of price and brand image... So I guess in 2007 Miu Miu products were a bit more affordable. Though I don't know how much the actual quality of manufacturing and design have gone up along with the prices.

18-03-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
I am glad I am not the only on who is concerned about prices on luxury products. Funny enough, my salary hasn't risen along with this inflation.
I remember that a few years ago, you could easily get some luxury pieces within 500-1000 USD range, now I can probably efford designer socks at most.
I am not sure that the crisis caused an increase in prices, I remember reading the opposite things and how stagnation in economics has actually made luxury brands reconsider their pricing tactics a few years ago, which was something unheard of for a luxury segment

18-03-2015
backstage pass

I too feel like these exorbitant prices are a new thing. I understand inflation and certain brands getting more famous so they increase their prices, but it just seems so obvious now that they're marking up prices significantly to the point that it's just ridiculous. When you have a $40,000 dress that suddenly is on sale for 80% off and the company doesn't take a hit, it looks suspicious. Look at some of the sales on net a porter, they're usually at least 60% off at the start. It seems like the trend started with the likes of balmain and other brands seeing that people are willing to pay those prices started doing the same thing. I think some were also trying to be more exclusive

20-03-2015
Some Like It Hot

John Galliano Spring Summer 2008

Taffeta Dress - £11,510

Nina Ricci Spring Summer 2008

Pleated Silk Bustier Dress - £10,800

Fendi Fall Winter 2008

Dress - £11,500

Balenciaga Spring Summer 2008

Radzimir Jacket with Silk Sleeves - £6,790

*Stylebistro.com

20-03-2015
V.I.P.

^ Oh my god! Please, post more pieces from the past seasons

21-03-2015
V.I.P.

Christian Dior Fall/Winter 2004

-stylebistro.com

Oversized Coat - $28 000

21-03-2015
backstage pass

I personally find lanvin is also a brand that tend to overprice its products. And all the other brands that have very plain, generic tshirts with no prints whatsoever yet selling for few hundreds of dollars and up.

21-03-2015
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel View Post
^Saint Laurent
Paneled Bodice Mini Dress in Red and Ivory Kimono Printed Polyester - $ 2,990.00

luxury_buro-instagram

It might be polyester because the colours are more vibrant printed on synthetics than on silks.
Still, $3,000? It's a pretty basic dress.

21-03-2015
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetements View Post
I personally find lanvin is also a brand that tend to overprice its products. And all the other brands that have very plain, generic tshirts with no prints whatsoever yet selling for few hundreds of dollars and up.

Perhaps some items, like the Ts, jewelry, etc. The Ts do have detailing and personality, but are not IMO worth the full price. But others I think are reasonably priced--bags, shoes, some of the clothes.

The clothes are innovative and beautifully draped, so a lot of work goes into them.

22-03-2015
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian zh View Post
^ Oh my god! Please, post more pieces from the past seasons
Balenciaga Fall Winter 2009

Embroidered Tweed Top - £33,500
Silk Satin Skirt - £3,365

Giles Fall Winter 2009

Silk and Felt Gown - £24,000

Giorgio Armani Fall Winter 2009

Beaded Tulle Dress - £12,000