The NY Times : My Invitation Isn't in the Mail by Cathy Horyn - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
15-03-2008
V.I.P.

Can you imagine what would happen to design if designers ONLY got positive feedback, no matter WHAT the collection looked like? How ridiculous, weeding out someone like this. It's laughable.

15-03-2008
V.I.P.

Armani needs to grow up its definietly time!

I think the fact that designers take it to heart and are upset when fashion critics write a negative review about their shows is understandable.They work hard and its not nice to see all that work being described with snide remarks (we all know how badly Marc Jacobs took Suzy's scanting review of S/S 07)and bad reviews.

But thats a job of fashion critics, banning them because you dont like what they wrote is silly and childish because at the end of the day i will decide on my own if i like the collection regardless if Cathy (who i love and adore) loves or hates it.

And on silly not;Its nice to see someone from Slovenia mentioned in her article.

15-03-2008
rising star

It's his show to invite whomever he pleases. He's going to make a profit regardless and besides, I consider "fashion critics" like Horyn less and less relevant with each passing season. I don't need some to tell me how "beautiful the clothes" are each season.

Last edited by KindlyCuddly; 15-03-2008 at 12:54 PM.
15-03-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNiQFashionista View Post
wait- what happend with armani and wintour? i missed that
You can check out the delicious spat--and the hilarious picture that accompanies every report on Armani's dissing of Wintour--here.

The Times' Sarah Vine has this to say about the kerfuffle:

Quote:
In truth, however, being on the wrong side of Armani is not something that Wintour is entirely unfamiliar with, nor is she the only fashion editor to have experienced his disapproval. It has become almost a mark of recognition, a badge of honour, to be in hot water with the maestro, even to be banned from an Armani show.

15-03-2008
scenester

She has serious balls, but even more so on Armani's part. Celebrities are getting paid to sit in the front row and editors are being banned for doing their jobs? I'm not sure if this translates. Only in fashion.

fashion elite

She makes an amazing point. Could you imagine if there were no film or art reviews? Reviews, positive and negative alike, are an essential part of the creative process. Work that is only praised essentially cancels its self out. At the same time, as much as the internet means that it is pointless to ban someone because they can see and review your collection regardless, it also makes the reviewing a little moot as well. We are all here on TFS discussing and deciding what we think about collections on our own, with or without the (often self-consciously obnoxious) reviews of Ms. Horyn. At the end though, it just makes the designers who ban look like nasty egomaniacs.

Fly my pretties... Fly!

Well...

First of all, Armani shows are not worth going to anyway. They are so unbelievably boring!

Second of all, I agree with you guys. I would prefer to read Cathy's critical comments than something that some journalists wrote just because s/he wants to get free ticket to a designer's show or free clothes! Cathy's insights are always extremely thoughtful; and to me, that's a very valuable element.

Cathy all the way!

16-03-2008
tfs star

I think Armani may have a point in that if a certain writer has nothing positive to say about your collection season after season then it's possible that writer doesn't like your design aesthetic and never will. A writer who is biased towards avant garde designs may never like a Calvin Klein so there is no point in putting that writer front row for a guaranteed bad review.

16-03-2008
Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

^^ I can see your point there, however, that is what I think makes a good journalist/critc...the ability to look beyond what you personally like. I think Cathy does this very well.

16-03-2008
Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
I find journalists esp for critiques aren't always necessary anyway
I only read what they say if they have something useful and interesting to say
But
as an example, it's interesting how many people base what new film they want to watch next just on reviews they read in the newspaper or how many stars it got from some "famous" magazine

My brother is like this
I think the difference is that, for one, you have to pay to see a movie and you can't see it all at once or skip through what you don't care to see, and with the shows, you can see the entire thing online, and decide instantly whether or not you like something. I find some of the reviews to be stimulating, but most of the time, I just look at it as, I like that and I hate that!

16-03-2008
loaded and locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
I think Armani may have a point in that if a certain writer has nothing positive to say about your collection season after season then it's possible that writer doesn't like your design aesthetic and never will. A writer who is biased towards avant garde designs may never like a Calvin Klein so there is no point in putting that writer front row for a guaranteed bad review.
touche. and even as a fashion journalist myself, I agree with this. however, the *way* that Armani excluded her made it seem like he was a child throwing a hissy fit. and unfortunately with the proliferation of information on the show found immediately on the internet, there really is no call for such behaviour.

What he SHOULD have done was say something to the effect of "I have a hard time inviting you to my show because it seems I am not to your taste as of late, but I appreciate what you have done for the reputation of the house in the past. I hope this time that you may find some designs that will suit the good side of your writing pen" etc . beat her at her own game, if you will

16-03-2008
rising star

I don't see anything childish in what Cathy has disclosed of the letter. He flat out states he didn't approve of the comments she made about his family and she was always critical of the collection...so why should her space to his event if he doesn't want her there? She doesn't need to be in attendance to critique the clothing. I also wonder why she considers herself "banned" when "not invited" would be a better term. It's almost as though she considers it a right to attend his show by virtue of her esteem when obviously that isn't the case.

16-03-2008
front row

In my opinion I think fashion is a creative art form is in itself it is highly subjective and as such everyone holds different opinions and that is the beauty of it, I think Armani has the full right to ban or not invite who he chooses but it reveals a sense of insecurity. His work is in the public domain and as such he should understand that having opinions flattering or not are part of the creative process especially in such an industry as discerning as fashion.

I mean personally i love Armani for men but for women i am neutral on I do find it somewhat lacklustre, predictable but decent. She makes a brilliant point this is 2008, look at tfs, there is like a democratisation of fashion taking place for example after a show everyone will have a different opinion and thats is something Mr Armani will not be able to escape from, i have to admit i really do not like overly positive reviews style.com etc. i am actually interested in the opinions of other people whether we agree or not its refreshing!

16-03-2008
windowshopping

A designer being upset about a negative review is understandable. After all, they work hard and long to maintain their status in the fashion spectrum, and in such a competitive field, reading a bad review is probably frightening to some designers: what if this review has a strong impact on consumers? What if this is "the" review that is remembered? As quickly as some designers have risen to the top, they can fall just as quickly.

On the other hand, banning reporters kind of sends out a message that the designer is doubting themselves (at least, that is how I see it). I mean, if Mr. Armani was very content with his collections, than one review shouldn't be too harmful for him. However, banning her for an unfavorable review seems to suggest that Mr. Armani is not too pleased with how things have been going. Only allowing people who praise you into a show contradicts the fashion industry itself, doesn't it? Fashion is a competition and it's about the highs and lows and the fight for the top. If one is just letting their biggest fans into the show, then what is the excitement? Really, the public is not getting a true view on how you're doing, and there is nothing to encourage you to push further.

Maybe instead of taking the easy way out, couldn't Armani push a little further with their collections? Not always an easy thing to do, but being completely stubborn about the subject is a turn off. Keep Armani in Armani, but add something new, yes? Isn't that what fashion is all about?

16-03-2008
& R.V.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Snob View Post
Can you imagine what would happen to design if designers ONLY got positive feedback, no matter WHAT the collection looked like? How ridiculous, weeding out someone like this. It's laughable.
uh...doesn't that already happen?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cathy, horyn, invitation, mail, ny, times