Olivier Theyskens Officially Parts Ways with Nina Ricci - Page 11 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
05-05-2009
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
That quote is absolutely INSANE. How can Anna have any say about any "creative visionaries" when she has watered down and basically destroyed American fashion as we know it??

How absolutely clueless and past due she is, thinking that Halston and Theyskens could actually work! I mean, are you SERIOUS Anna!?!
on both accounts,i didn't want to say it myself but i was thinking the same thing

ta-ta,it would fine if the woman actually promoted creativity rather than some homogenised,high-fashion catalogue. what does she think she's running i-D? if she thinks we buy that rubbish from the likes of her she's clearly as disillusioned as we think. she's no champion of creativity just somebody who likes to jump on the hype of the moment and take the credit for it.

Last edited by Scott; 05-05-2009 at 10:52 PM.
06-05-2009
etre soi-meme

i'm glad they kicked Theyskens out from Ricci and i'd scream if they give him the post at Halston
he's so NOT what Halston brand is all about

my main issue with his work, is bad fit, it was there at Rochas and it continued at Nina Ricci
i always wonderded why people think him as a 'genious'
i honestly find Theyskens uber over ratted

Last edited by Lena; 06-05-2009 at 01:45 PM.
06-05-2009
Not Thinking About Time

I just really want him to do his own line. He is one of my favorite designers and I think he would work a lot better without any baggage of a pre-existing brand.

Portfolio Last FM
06-05-2009
V.I.P.

^ That's interesting, Lena. Can you illustrate what you mean?

09-05-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
What I found most amusing about it is that she seems to feel that she and the Vogue staff are carrying out a mission equivalent to preserving democracy, ending global warming, and the like. I realize she is influential, but ... it's still just fashion

I am not that familiar with the Halston legacy, but from what I do know, I can't see any similarity between it and anything Theyskens has ever done.

Yea, I may be completely off here, but the image I have a Halston is minimalism, where Theysken's is decadent embellishments and wistfulness. A match made in hell?

09-05-2009

^loads of column gowns typically in monochrome.

09-05-2009
Fat Karl

Michael Kors is very Halston.

That should explain everything.

Not Thinking About Time

AKA Halston is as boring as a piece of lose leaf paper.

Portfolio Last FM
09-05-2009

^heh

yeah,all i can say is that,he was never any kind of geoffrey beene or claire mccardell. not terrible but terribly overrated for the work he did,imo.

10-05-2009
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ That's interesting, Lena. Can you illustrate what you mean?
i'm sure you've seen his work up close, so you know what i mean.. regardeless the media hype, there were not too many clients ready to pay for this trash

actually that's why he's not getting the Halston deal.
fashion companies are finally discovering that media hype is not enough.
they need real clients, with real money to spend.
fashion groupies and big time editorial pages are simply not enough anymore

10-05-2009
fashion insider

I don't think he ever got the 'big time' support of the media, except from maybe the American Vogue crew under Anna Wintour - people like Virginie Mouzat, Olivier Zahm of Purple or Carine Roitfeld have instead opted to champion people like Christophe Decarnin or Riccardo Tisci instead of Olivier Theyskens at Nina Ricci... and to be honest, I am not surprised about that... So honestly, I don't see the big media hype at all.

What Olivier has thrown out on the market these last few years looked like the kind of saccharine, pastel-coloured clothes directly targeted at conservative uptown ladies who lunch, not the cool, young Paris chick that he sometimes spoke of when he described the character behind the Nina Ricci collections.

To speak of trash I think might be a little harsh, even though I was not a fan of his collections at Ricci personally, but I think his work for Rochas had a lot more distinction (these clothes had the class of Chanel, without the cockiness of Karl) and raison d'ętre.

11-05-2009

completely agree with you about the nina ricci assessment. it never had quite the same distinct quality that he had at rochas. it was just never him and there was this discomfort i felt being conveyed in those clothes. i never got a sense of satisfaction from him ever. the aesthetics were never close or related to his own.

we really can't blame all of these rumours on olivier himself,i mean anna wintour did admit to campaigning him to take over halston not to mention her pathetic fawning of the nina ricci crap. it's almost as if wintour is trying to even dictate his personality with this halston thing.

11-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
^heh

yeah,all i can say is that,he was never any kind of geoffrey beene or claire mccardell. not terrible but terribly overrated for the work he did,imo.
Really you think so? I think Halston's reputation for disco glam precedes him, a lot of his clothes were actually technically amazing more in line with Vionnet and actually what Madame Gres and Issey Miyake were doing in the 70's. His patterns were geometric wizardry, of course it would all look so simple in the end. He's one of 7th Ave's masters IMO. Please reconsider, it's a disservice to yourself to overlook his clothes.

11-05-2009
V.I.P.

With Anna being such a big force behind him, I wouldn't be surprise she want to poach him and take him Stateside!

05-06-2009
Fat Karl

Umm...this is baffling.
Quote:
Peter Copping is busy preparing his first collection for Nina Ricci — a capsule resort collection, which is expected to be unveiled later this month — and in the meantime, the house is trying to clear out all trace of Olivier Theyskens. On Friday, its holding a major one-off sale in Paris, with catwalk pieces and ready-to-wear spanning several seasons, as well as shoes and accessories going for as little as 40 euros ($55).
(WWD via fashionologie.com)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
nina, officially, olivier, parts, ricci, theyskens, ways