Olivier Theyskens Officially Parts Ways with Nina Ricci - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
26-01-2009
rising star

He HAS a big house, or one with a lot of potential, and most of his collections there have been very hit/miss. Who knows if it would be any different elsewhere?

Its Grazia... and its only rumours at this stage anyway.

Im not sure if he had his own line it would be completely successful, although I would love to see what he could do. I think inbetween working for Rochas and Nina he was doing one-off commissions or a small pre-collection on his own?
If he did have his own label again, I imagine it being something similar to Alaia's business model.

26-01-2009
V.I.P.

His own line would be fantastic but it would be incredibly hard for him to find a financial backer; especially in the current economic climate.

I think those rumors are floating around in order to scare Theyskens into creating something more marketable. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nina Ricci people were behind all this!

26-01-2009
V.I.P.

I always think that Olivier has to design a real couture line. He is more talented than designing pret-a-porter...
I hope that he wants the same.

Last edited by Spike413; 26-01-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: off topic; please see tfs community rules.
26-01-2009
scenester

His last show for Nina Ricci was ugly, he's hard to work with and sales have been bad (and since before the economy fell apart). Normally when designers get the pink slip I wail and shed salt tears and roll in the dust, but it might not be a bad idea to fire him.

scenester

And then he could have his own line, blah blah blah, and as long as he never ever goes near a wide-shouldered wasp-waisted long-in-the-back short-in-the-front silhouette EVER again it'd be fine.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
sheesh...this is getting ridiculous already...
too many revolving doors...

*too many labels is really the problem imo...
took the words out of my mouth..

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
27-01-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by user.n. View Post
I always think that Olivier has to design a real couture line. He is more talented than designing pret-a-porter...
I hope that he wants the same.
True, pretty much the reason why his RTW don't really sell much. Too couture-like.

Amour Comme Hiver

Rumors like this were bound to happen... he's an artist. Wearability has become the driving force behind so many houses these days. I can't help but feel like he's a little behind of his time, if that makes any sense- he would have done very well in the time of the grand couturiers.

28-01-2009
taz
MUSE

the title from WWD:

Quote:
Copping Said Eyed for Ricci

Copping Said Eyed for Ricci
by Miles Socha
Posted Wednesday January 28, 2009
From WWD Issue 01/28/2009

PARIS — Peter Copping, a seasoned designer at Louis Vuitton under Marc Jacobs, is in line to succeed Olivier Theyskens as the next designer at Nina Ricci, according to sources.

28-01-2009
less is more

oh no if it's true. hope he finds somewhere new to go

28-01-2009
V.I.P.

eep!

they've got a replacement lined up!?!

front row

Where he want to go!?

28-01-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrot View Post
eep!

they've got a replacement lined up!?!
According to www.vogue.com, Copping has already handed in his resignation at Vuitton

28-01-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Peter Copping Looks to Be Theyskens's Nina Ricci Replacement
Wed, 01/28/09 — 12:24:25 PM
The Olivier Theyskens-Nina Ricci saga continues: Sources are saying that Peter Copping, who met with Ricci owners two weeks ago, is in place to succeed as designer at Nina Ricci. No details could be determined on when the switchover would occur — Olivier is contracted until October, which means he could show up to two more collections for the label, but rumors of clashes between the designer and management also imply that he might leave sooner.
The main point of disagreement is understand to be management's expected commerciality of Olivier's designs — apparently his Spring 2009 collection didn't sell well, but Olivier still seems blase about paying attention the bottom line. The designer has a history of designing expensive pieces that, while eliciting editorial acclaim, don't always sell well — this was the case at Rochas before Nina Ricci.
Copping, on the other hand, hails from Louis Vuitton, where if nothing else, he's guaranteed a pedigree in how to make money with fashion — Louis Vuitton is not exactly known for losing money as both Ricci and Rochas did with Olivier at the helm. Copping sounds exactly like what the brass at Nina Ricci would be looking for right about now — plus, he's Marc Jacobs's right-hand man, and has the Central Saint Martins degree.
In the midst of all this mess, Olivier still appears blase — he was spotted out partying Monday night, a big smile plastered across his face. Maybe he knows something we don't know?
fashionologie

I really don't know what can i think...
photo from Mischa Barton's thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (304.8 KB, 4 views)

Wanderlust

I find this exciting...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
nina, officially, olivier, parts, ricci, theyskens, ways