Olivier Theyskens Officially Parts Ways with Nina Ricci - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-03-2009
rising star

I did read somewhere online yesterday that he is working on his own line. Ive tried looking for the piece again but I cant find it.. Im sure it was on The Cut or FashionWeekDaily.

He is in a good position now if he were to start his own line I think. There would be no question about everyone taking notice if he did.

08-03-2009
rising star

Quote:
for now, the designer's Ricci team wasn't concerned about his rumored namesake line. They toasted with champagne and cried at the unofficial after-party bar backstage. "Yes, it's all very emotional," said a choked up Theyskens, stopping himself from elaborating further as publicists watched on. Tanya Dziahileva for one did not want to say goodbye to it all. "He's truly one of my favorites and it's sad that he'll be gone from Ricci," she sighed. "I'm just standing around here and I'm refusing to take his clothes off. They'll have to force me."
FashionWeekDaily.com

08-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco54 View Post
well he is very talented, but its sad talent has to be sacrificed for fast cash .
I don't see it is as fast cash you've mentioned. Creativity is amazing but ultimately if doesn't reach the final customer doesn't have a point to move on, he should open a art gallery instead.. we're talking about ready-to-wear, the label must sell to survive, to have just celebrity placements its great for the brand image for while but it will snap at same point. I guess if he is doing couture all the problems would be solved, as few dresses would pay the high bills.

I'm wondering if all those people that express the love for the brand in this forum buys it. Fashion is Business and relies most of the time in successful commerce to be alive.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
I'd also like to see him at the head of a couture house.
Can you imagine him at somewhere like . . . Dior?
Will be very difficult someone take the position of Galliano at Dior. Whether you like or not he is mentioned at Forbes as the top 3 most profitable designers of this Century... if Theyskens is having problems to spin some cash at Nina is very unlikely Dior would ever consider him.

V.I.P.

I don't understand why people say this is his last show if his contract expires in October. Isn't Spring 2010 in October?

He will still create Resort 2010 and Spring 2010 right?

08-03-2009
barcode

^ That's what's confusing about this.

But I'm guessing the suits have the power to nix him before the contract expires, especially if they've replaced him already.

08-03-2009
V.I.P.

^^^ Oh really?

I thought a contract was a contract! I wonder how fashion contracts work; is it legitimate to fire someone if for example they don't create profitable collections

08-03-2009
fashion insider

I think he will do his next collection which will be his last, a contract is indeed a contract.

08-03-2009
barcode

Designers do get let go before their contract expires though. I mean, Alessandra had to have some sort of contract at Valentino when she signed on, it couldn't have only been for a six month period. Same thing with Lars Nilsson at Ferre.

Last edited by Spike413; 08-03-2009 at 04:30 PM.
08-03-2009
tfs star

Now wouldn't be the best time to resurrect his own collection

I do hope he does though, Nina Ricci was a huge let down compared to Rochas, and I cringe at the idea of him doing Valentino or Dior. He creates great evening gowns, sure, but he has too much talent to just create expensive, pretty dresses. I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere quickly, if this is his last collection...

fashion insider

If you have Anna Wintour helping you get your own collection, anytime is the perfect time.

09-03-2009
front row

he definitely should pursue his own label, so he can do whether he likes taking the all the benefits or losses of it himself.

V.I.P.

true actually, if Anna is indeed such a fan- he'll go far anywhere.

She's done amazing things for Alexander Wang despite his growing mediocrity.

backstage pass

"Mr. Theyskens, who will be replaced by Peter Copping, a senior designer at Louis Vuitton, when his contract expires in October, opened his collection with a few long and lean looks........."

From New york times

backstage pass

very sad!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
nina, officially, olivier, parts, ricci, theyskens, ways