How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

The Galliano touch is sublime and delicious...
A great collection!

13-02-2013
clever ain't wise

This worked out really well for everyone, I think. It's ODLR's signature silhouette and palette but it's still with an unmistakable Galliano touch.

And I also spot at least three signature AW looks in there #6 (the fur), #13 and #21 counting from post 20 onward.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 13-02-2013 at 04:10 AM.
13-02-2013
fashion elite

I totally agree, but I liked the Galliano touch more than OdlR.

13-02-2013
fashion elite

This colection confuses me.
This is by far one of Oscar de la Renta best colections, but it also is one of the poorest edited. I really dont get why we are getting into a darker and stronger feeling and then of the sudden looks that look from 2 years ago come from nowhere, after those looks the colection keeps going into what it was in the begining and then for the last looks it looks again like the dresses from last season.

13-02-2013
tfs star

I love all the looks, maybe minus those two final ball gowns, i don't hate them, but they seem too costumey to me.
As always the collection is delicate, feminine, modern with a classic touch.
The gloves are to die for, and I like the Galliano's touch!

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

It is quite laughable how blatant the Galliano references are, and I still think he didn't even saw this collection. Still, apart from styling and the make-up, it remains the same-old-same-old Oscar collection, nothing really precious.

V.I.P.

WWD review

Quote:
What exactly is a “designer in residence”? You may have found yourself wondering that about three weeks ago, when WWD broke the news that Oscar de la Renta had invited John Galliano to join his studio in said role. During a preview of his fall collection last week, de la Renta defined Galliano’s presence only in vague terms with no word on the length of the arrangement. “He has been working with me,” said de la Renta of Galliano, who was working that day, but avoided the studio during the preview. “I work with people. I don’t work by myself. It’s so wonderful to have somebody with an eye. He’ll show me something and we talk about it.”

Despite numerous rumors about Galliano’s presence at de la Renta’s show on Tuesday evening — he would sit front row; he would join de la Renta for the bow — Galliano stayed backstage and out of sight. Still, his presence was felt. Perhaps it was the power of suggestion, but the opening sequence of wrap coats and jackets worn over slim, knee-length skirts seemed descended from the house of Dior, where the Bar jacket, with its nipped waist and sculpted peplum, was a perennial focus. The de la Renta versions in eggplant flannel, teal and black were stripped down, cut in lean lines with a dose of melancholy edge. Some of the girls wore streamlined cloche hats and one jacket came in black leather, expertly draped and folded at the waist with a hint of origami technique.

A departure from the girly froth and fun that de la Renta has pursued the past few seasons — no question. Yet many looks were devout to de la Renta’s canon, such as a fit-and-flare black silk organza dress with white floral embroidery, and the fully beaded silver T-shirt and skirt worn by Lindsey Wixon. As the show progressed, the lineup seemed to tell a story. While not a traditional narrative per se, it moved from shadowy elegance — hooded capes worn over skinny leather pants — to romantic-yet-bold toile motifs on A-line skirts and dresses.

Then came evening. Beginning with the chic and spare — a black jacket worn over a naked torso and fluid floor-length skirt — the story built into a world of color with jewel-toned dresses and gorgeous ballgowns in vivid silk faille, their skirt volumes tempered into perfect modern lines. The show’s beauty was telling, too. While typically de la Renta favors a single classic, pretty look, here, it changed with the clothes. The first girls out were plainfaced but for the shock of orange lipstick; those done up for evening wore lavish, dark-eyed makeup and hair greased into waves, a look that might have been transplanted from a Galliano runway of yore. So what was the plot line? A tale of two designers, it had mystery, suspense, harmony, beauty, optimism — and some truly great clothes.
wwd.com

13-02-2013
trendsetter

I loved the pieces, they are so Galliano's.
There were those exquisite feelings in my spirit when it becomes to clothes: that lines, that colors, that details were made with passion and love, those two things I've learned from Galliano and never want to forget.

Welcome back John!

tfs star

I don't like it. I can't seem to put my finger on it yet but it doesn't seem very ODLR at all imo. It's all too severe.

13-02-2013
V.I.P.

Such an amazing collection im in love .

13-02-2013
backstage pass

You can definitely see Galliano spirit - some mystical, very dramatic looks !

13-02-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post
You betta girdle your loins, damn.
I saw some beautiful, elegant and rather flattering pieces but overall a very messy and incohesive collection. It looks like it was designed by 4-5 different people. The styling was hit-or-miss. I'd rather ODLR was doing his own thing instead of dealing with Wintour's whims/personal agenda.
agreed. begs the question what he owes her for. did she broker the hamburger-hot dog peace accords?

14-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
It is quite laughable how blatant the Galliano references are, and I still think he didn't even saw this collection. Still, apart from styling and the make-up, it remains the same-old-same-old Oscar collection, nothing really precious.
That's what makes me skeptical here, too. I find it really hard to believe he really had so much of a hand in this and put his stamp on these looks so obviously, it looks more like a design and make-up team tried to make this look very Galliano, and not Galliano himself. If he had that much of an influence on the design process, wouldn't he have tried to make his designs look like OdlR pieces, and not like past Dior and Galliano pieces? I find this so odd. I think all this is just a publicity stunt, and it seems to work, people are raving over this and I fail to see why. There are so many bad looks, plus all the usual designer rip-offs, it's completely incoherent and messy. Then again I'm never a fan of OdlR collections anyway, so maybe it's just not my thing. But I really don't like anything here, whether Galliano had anything to do with it or not.

14-02-2013
clever ain't wise

^It's a little hard for me to understand how you can doubt that Galliano had a hand in this - the first 5 outfits, the gloves and the styling all bear his signature.

It's great to see what he can accomplish when he's somewhat freed from his Dior chains.

14-02-2013
V.I.P.

Those Dioresque skirt suits and lace dress scream Galliano! A more subdued, dark Galliano, I like it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, f or w, la, oscar, renta, york