How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-09-2011
scenester

so so so so so so beautiful, a joy to watch!!!

14-09-2011
scenester

forchicsake,

I agree 1000000000000% best ny collection sighh some of the pieces are just mouthwatering

14-09-2011
V.I.P.

Review from Style.com-

If he wanted to indicate a new mood for Spring, Oscar de la Renta couldn't have picked a better soundtrack: Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Yes, you read that right. And sitting front-row opposite Valentino and Justin Timberlake: Nicki Minaj, sans pants. Those weren't the only things that made this Oscar show feel particularly zippy. There was a fresh, upbeat look that went beyond the bobby-socks-and-heels act, the softly frizzed hair, and the no-makeup makeup. You saw it in a pair of bright silk taffeta ball gowns topped with T-shirts. Couture lace T-shirts, but you get the idea.

De la Renta has ditched the old church where he's presented for the last couple of years in favor of his new 42nd Street showroom. New venue, new lease on life? The space is un-renovated, and the runway is narrow. It meant you had an up-close view of the beautiful handwork that has won him so many fans over the years. White is a big trend this week, but we challenge you to find a lovelier, more ethereal dress than the one with the delicate handkerchief hem the designer put on Arizona Muse. It was one of a series of lacy white confections that skewed younger than anything we've seen on an Oscar runway lately. And other things surprised, too. A chartreuse feather-stitched tank top and matching harem pant was perhaps too outré, but then you'd see de la Renta's enthusiasm paying off, as in a crocheted silver thread sweater that exposed an inch or so of midriff over a metallic ball skirt.

Not to worry, ladies: He hasn't abandoned his core clients, the ones who return year after year for the tweedy skirtsuits, the sleeveless sheaths, the entrance-making evening dresses. But how fab to see a designer hit the refresh button after 40-plus years in business.

14-09-2011
V.I.P.

This collection is so much fresher than what he did last spring. The big ball gowns and the suits are still here, but the colors and accessories and some evening dresses made this collection feel younger and more fun than his usual offerings. I guess this along with the new showspace means that he wants to push his brand to a younger direction, which is a very good thing.

V.I.P.

pure perfection, nothing less

14-09-2011
fashion insider

i love this collection

14-09-2011
Alluring

Now that's a real circus, what kind of clientèle is it supposed to appeal to? Just a huge mess, the hairdos included.

14-09-2011
rising star

I really hated the shoes from this collection!

14-09-2011
V.I.P.

Some of the dresses are to die for And I like the models' hairstyle. But some pieces are a bit too 'messy'...

14-09-2011
V.I.P.

The lunch crowd at The Four Seasons will be agog today- "My dear- he played something called Zeppelin during the show!!! Blasphemy of the naughtiest kind!!"

14-09-2011
V.I.P.

I think this is entirely awful, from start to finish I usually find OdlR dresses quite alluring and feminine but this is one huge (and fugly!!) mess.

14-09-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I think this is entirely awful, from start to finish I usually find OdlR dresses quite alluring and feminine but this is one huge (and fugly!!) mess.
Haha, I'm glad someone agrees. :p I was just now reading all the praise and I was getting quite confused I still don't see it. For me, probably the worst collection shown so far - funny it seems to be the best for many. Definitely a "love it" or "hate it" case.

14-09-2011
fashion icon

I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's not what I expected from Oscar D, but it's not terrible. It's got some hits and some misses. And overall, the aim of this collection appears to be for red carpet/"it girl" dressing. We will definitely see some of these looks on celebs at public functions.

14-09-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral1532 View Post
I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. It's not what I expected from Oscar D, but it's not terrible. It's got some hits and some misses. And overall, the aim of this collection appears to be for red carpet/"it girl" dressing. We will definitely see some of these looks on celebs at public functions.
Well, I guess it's a collection that makes you have an opinion, whether good or bad. And that's probably something I'd have to give him, he managed to make people feel something about it. It's really not a collection I like but maybe I'll be feeling it more when I see some of these looks in "real life" later on. When I looked through the pictures one by one now I liked it a bit more than when I saw all the pics together. Some of the individual pieces are nice but some are just really really messy in my eyes.

14-09-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The lunch crowd at The Four Seasons will be agog today- "My dear- he played something called Zeppelin during the show!!! Blasphemy of the naughtiest kind!!"

I'm not a fan of ODLR by an means but I am very interested in seeing how this mess of a show plays with his usual clients.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, la, oscar, renta, s or s, york