How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-09-2012
tfs star

i think it would be better for ODR to not reply or respond, his response means that he's defensive and show that he cares or worry about the critics kwim
although yes the critic can be taken as a bit insulting for a "big" designer like him but that's life, there's ups and downs.
honestly i've notice that the ODR PR been trying hard as well to build their popularity through bloggers. i might be wrong on this though but i think i know the difference between a "paid" post on blog or not

i don't take sides on either of the parties, i just find it amusing and drama is always fun to watch LOL

18-09-2012
Power to the 99%

From surfline.com ...

Quote:
The term "hotdogging" wouldn't dare be uttered by a surfer under 60 for its archaic connotations and inordinate cheesiness. Nowadays we call it "ripping" or "flaring up," but it's all the same. Generally defined as surfing for flash rather than function, occurring in small conditions, with little regard for making the wave, hotdogging has attained an unprecedented level of acceptability within the world of surfing, thanks to aerials. For the most part, this state of mind is characterized by youth, as older surfers tend to grow increasingly conservative and set in their ways.
So now that I read this, it makes sense as the opposite of eminence grise.

20-09-2012
V.I.P.

Ahhahah ....

Facebook/Standard Hotel

20-09-2012
Stitch:the Hand

^oh that is too funny!

21-09-2012
.my prison is your brain.

Classic.

The latest:

Quote:
Cathy Horyn's Boyfriend Weighs in on Oscar de la Renta Controversy, Calls Lady Gaga "Vacuous"

In a situation that is becoming more and more absurd by the minute, there’s a new twist in the great Cathy Horyn/Oscar de la Renta beef of 2012: Horyn’s boyfriend Art Ortenberg has now weighed in.

Just to re-cap what’s been happening in case you missed it:

• Cathy Horyn opened her review of Oscar de la Renta’s show with this sentence: “Mr. de la Renta is far more a hot dog than an éminence grise of American fashion.”

• Oscar de la Renta then took out a full page ad in WWD in which he asked if he had the right to call Horyn a “stale three day old hamburger” and said he did not accept “when criticism is personal.”

Lady Gaga then tweeted: “Bravo Oscar. Only you would be so chic as to purchase an entire page in WWD, making statements like a good fashion citizen.”

After a few days of silence, now Art Ortenberg, who is Liz Claiborne’s widower and Horyn’s current boyfriend, has jumped into the meaty fray. He wrote a letter to the editor at WWD saying:
True, Cathy Horyn is my girlfriend. Nevertheless, I feel it necessary to cudgel Gaga for her badly informed, dumbing-down opinion that an uninformed opinion is as valid as that of a seasoned critic — as though Gaga and Bridget Foley of WWD or David Denby of The New Yorker or Ben Brantley of The New York Times or Brooks Atkinson or Pauline Kael or any professional critic is just another opinion and that Gaga’s vacuous thoughts deserve the same status. Grow up, Gaga.
We ran into Cathy Horyn at a show during London fashion week and asked her to comment about the beef, but she understandably told us she didn’t want to address it anymore–that it was “over.” Obviously it’s not totally over.

Just this morning, stylist Lori Goldstein tweeted: “don’t have ur boyfriend fight ur fights. yes. everyone is a critic these days.. and a designer. and a ……….. welcome to the 21st century”

While she doesn’t name names, we’re pretty sure that’s aimed at Cathy Horyn. Which is a little bit silly, because is there anyone on the planet who thinks Horyn can’t fight her own fights?
fashionista

21-09-2012
V.I.P.

So are most people siding with Oscar? Those two tweets favour his viewpoint.

But I totally side with Horyn in this.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
21-09-2012
V.I.P.

She's a respected critic...I find this drama just as horrifying as what happened to Robin Givhan with Karl Lagerfeld. It's getting to the point where these designers are going to just have 100 clones of Bryanboy occupying the front row talking about how "cray-cray" the collection is. That's not healthy, just like it wouldn't be healthy in the film world as well.

21-09-2012
V.I.P.

^ Agree! And that's precisely why I think this issue deserves a spot in the "fashion in depth" thread, because what is at issue is the integrity of critics and their reviews. That's important.

I found myself reading one review at style.com earlier this morning, can't even remember the critic or designer. But anyhow, there were quotes from the designer, and some other discussion of his past (come to think of it I think it was Antonio Berardi) but there was virtually little-to-no commentary on the clothes themselves. Were they great? Average? Off kilter? On point? What!!!?? That's how I felt after reading it. I mean, i have my own opinion, but I would still like to compare it to something of substancewhen I read a review.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
21-09-2012

concur,LUXXX. also,if lori goldstein really did aim that at cathy,remember art ortenberg was the man behind liz claiborne and has been in fashion for well over a century. so to dismiss him simply because he happens to be cathy's boyfriend,is just trying to stir the pot even further. maybe lori is the one that should have kept her trap shut instead of injecting herself in the middle.

and then gaga....she is so sad. immature and attention seeking as always.

21-09-2012
Power to the 99%

I do think it would have been better for Cathy's boyfriend to say nothing, but I do understand the urge to defend those close to you.

Twitter in general is vacuous ... Lady Gaga is much like everyone else in Twitterland. Of course the woman who wore a meat dress is pleased with the hamburger ad ...

21-09-2012

but you know,to suggest that he's fighting her battle. clearly goldstein knows absolutely NOTHING about cathy horyn!

but gaga....i mean,is that really necessary to involve yourself simply because you have a history with the woman? i mean gaga's condescending remark reminds of all those holier art thou bullies in high school. and this a woman that somehow thinks she's a mouthpiece for outcasts and such. she just confirmed what i've always felt...phony wolf in sheep's clothing.

21-09-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Sorry, I need you to explain the history ... clearly I've forgotten if I ever knew. Google won't tell me anything but what we're already discussing here

But I agree that Cathy's pen is bigger than Oscar's hot dog.

21-09-2012

well cathy had made some critical remarks about versace's "excitement" about dressing gaga and followed up by stating "be choosier". and then gaga wrote up this full page diatribe that went into this overly smug tangent about critics and how they are SO irrelevant...blah,blah.....clearly going after cathy because well,she's cathy. and yet again a situation where some hyper-sensitive idiot cannot take it.

22-09-2012
chaos reigns

Oh, puh-lease ... we are talking about fashion egos .. and "artists".

Of course nostrils will flare and they will stop talking to each other and send underhanded messages.

Not surprised at all. And I am not team ODlR, but I understand why he is so protective with his work. If someone does that, Ill take that person to mud and wrestle him/her. And then throw some cat pooh.

Power to the 99%

^ The problem here is that he went off like a rocket without troubling to understand what was really being said. Yes, she used an obscure term, but 98% of the rest of the world understands that Cathy is a serious journalist, she doesn't have dementia, if there's a reference to a food item in one of her reviews, it has a reason for being there, it's not a random nonsensical insult.

Oscar comes off as having a mental age of about 7 in this. Cathy wasn't trashing his work at all, she was simply characterizing his approach to it.

Why not just pick up the phone and say, What the hell does this mean?! But no, he runs and takes out an ad because he apparently thrives on a public fight, like a brawling toddler. (I think 7 actually was considerably overstating the case ...)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cathy, horyn, la, letter, open, oscar, renta, writes