How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-09-2012
clever ain't wise

I'm all for fashion critics expressing what they are supposed to express - critique. That said, I do think picking on an old designer who isn't hot anymore seems a bit weak and easy.

23-09-2012
fashion insider

Did Oscar de la Renta actually read the article in its entirety. Cathy Horyn actually gave the collection a positive review

Power to the 99%

^ And what she said she didn't intend as an insult. I think it would probably be fair to characterize the late Bill Blass as an eminence grise, and as I recall, his clothes were pretty stolid and boring. She was saying that he may be 80, but he's designing with all the bravado of youth. I don't see that as picking on him.

He seems to feel a lot of entitlement, but a critic who reserves spots on a top 10 list (or similar) for those who are getting on whose feelings might be hurt if they're not included, probably needs to be fired.

23-09-2012
Stitch:the Hand

see that's what i thought as well. i didn't see anything negative or scathing(as it's being portrayed) about that review really. apparently reading comprehension is a fundamental skill lost in our culture these days. he misinterpreted the critique,he took it personally,thus reacted instead. frankly,i'm beginning to wonder how much of this from oscar's end is really just a clever strategy to get people to pay attention to him again and not the much ado it appears to be??

and btw,criticism is something that comes with the territory. this is after all a subjective medium like music and art. cathy isn't the kind of writer that hits below the belt but she's very blunt. but there are a lot of blunt reviewers out there but rarely do i ever see anybody react in this manner....meaning many take such things in stride. seems to me if you can't take it,then you don't need to be here. or at the very least,don't pay attention to reviews.

23-09-2012
backstage pass

I know it's a bit off topic, but I want to know something... feel free to answer me Are Cathy Horyn's columns that influential to cause something in Oscar's business?

23-09-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Not to my knowledge. They are clearly influential to his ego though

24-09-2012
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ The problem here is that he went off like a rocket without troubling to understand what was really being said. Yes, she used an obscure term, but 98% of the rest of the world understands that Cathy is a serious journalist, she doesn't have dementia, if there's a reference to a food item in one of her reviews, it has a reason for being there, it's not a random nonsensical insult.

Oscar comes off as having a mental age of about 7 in this. Cathy wasn't trashing his work at all, she was simply characterizing his approach to it.

Why not just pick up the phone and say, What the hell does this mean?! But no, he runs and takes out an ad because he apparently thrives on a public fight, like a brawling toddler. (I think 7 actually was considerably overstating the case ...)

Oh, I agree. Thats something Ive learned myself bc there have been moments when there have been mix ups and I ended up looking like a spoiled $#%$#&. Oscar SHOULD have done that. But because of the environment -fashion- Im not surprised this happened.

backstage pass

http://nymag.com/thecut/2012/09/gaga...ugler-rap.html

and now lady gaga is rapping about cathy horyn and her boyfriend for calling her out

02-10-2012
trendsetter

I don't know if this is relevant but this has just been posted to the YSL collection thread and is from Hedis official twitter (I had to double check, but apparently it is really his official one)

twitter.com

I want to express my support for actual journalists, thus Cathy, who stands strong in a sea of opinion-less fashion writers and overly sensitive designers who got used to the praising and can't take a bad review anymore. I don't always agree with her reviews and I don't get her fondness of Raf but Oscar and Hedi and all the other designers that pull ads and ban critics need to come down from their f!cking ego-trip.

(Also I might add, Hedi accuses Cathy of being a bully but posts this on his twitter page. A.sshole.)

Last edited by thejarc; 02-10-2012 at 04:47 PM.
02-10-2012
V.I.P.

Oh lord, the immaturity some of these designers display. And this, coupled with Hedi firing a store manager for not knowing who he was. The ego and arrogance...crazy!

I guess Hedi was referring to this review where Cathy complains for several paragraphs about not being invited to the new YSL show. Apparently, it's all about Raf Simons and jealousy.

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2012...tyle&seid=auto

02-10-2012
rising star

I'm not a big Cathy Horyn fan. Yet I'm a huge Yves Saint Laurent fan. I have collected his collections from magazines for years. I'm 44 and have always wanted to be a designer. He was my idol and inspiration for as long as I can remember. I watched when my favorite singing idol Miss Diana Ross wore his clothes to events and in private life to no avail. This new collection was ok, yet it wasn't wow or showing something new. Yet I do believe and feel that he is trying to start something that will slowly unfold as the collections keep coming, this was only the beginning in my opinion. I get where Cathy is coming from, but I don't respect her as a fashion journalist. I'm waiting to see more from Mr. Slimane before I come to any conclusions. I feel it's way to early. Lastly I have to say I miss Tom Ford At Saint Laurent.

Stitch:the Hand

well was cathy really wrong about raf simons? come on! raf simons had already developed his style before anybody even knew who the hell hedi was and long before his initial tenure at YSL Homme. needless to say,hedi please spare us all your fragile ego. what a jerky move,imo. to write that kind of ranting is extremely pathetic.

you know the funny thing is,to be so petulant in this supposed rivalry it's hedi that's the one being reactive and sensitive about it. i've never heard a peep from raf simons. before raf was at jil sander and still doing his line and hedi was getting all the glory and taking so much [igorant] credit for developing this sort of street style while designing dior homme....you never once heard raf simons react to any of it with an obnoxious attitude....he took it in stride and carried on with his work. it's a shame that now the shoe is on the other foot and raf simons is getting the credit he's been long-due,hedi is the one acting like a jealous child.

02-10-2012
backstage pass

Hornyn is a journalist who happens to cover fashion. She is not a PR person, a fashion hanger-on, or a fashion fan. Her job is to write it as she sees it, not to sugarcoat things. If she did otherwise, the New York Times should fire her.
ODLR and Slimane get paid obscene amounts of money to design clothing. They live I'm sure in huge, beautiful homes, get to eat in expensive restaurants, drink champagne are are surrounded by minions who kow tow to their every whim. Their clothes cost hundreds and thousands of dollars. The contract they agree to when they become famous fashion designers is they have to put up with the bad along with the good. If they are too thin-skinned to deal with bad reviews or even snarky comments, then be a salesman at a clothing store. That way they can still be in fashion and not have to put up with criticism from journalists. Grow up, grow a spine, and design. When you take a full page ad or create a mom article on Twitter to criticize a critic, you're just telling the whole world you're a spoiled narcissistic brat.

02-10-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejarc View Post
I don't know if this is relevant but this has just been posted to the YSL collection thread and is from Hedis official twitter (I had to double check, but apparently it is really his official one)
twitter.com

I want to express my support for actual journalists, thus Cathy, who stands strong in a sea of opinion-less fashion writers and overly sensitive designers who got used to the praising and can't take a bad review anymore. I don't always agree with her reviews and I don't get her fondness of Raf but Oscar and Hedi and all the other designers that pull ads and ban critics need to come down from their f!cking ego-trip.

(Also I might add, Hedi accuses Cathy of being a bully but posts this on his twitter page. A.sshole.)
This is so poorly written that I can't believe it's real ...

Last edited by Flashbang; 02-10-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Do not quote images please.

03-10-2012
clever ain't wise

Uhm. Is this 7th grade?

It would be a lot more impressive if she had said: "I was not invited but I saw the collection online and I liked it." Now it's just sour grapes.

That said, his argument, which consists of 1) She is a pen for hire and 2) She is not stylish, would have been stronger based on reason 1 alone. Saying someone should shut up because they're not stylish is very high school.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cathy, horyn, la, letter, open, oscar, renta, writes