How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Uhm. Is this 7th grade?
That was my exact thought...the only other people who publicly act like this are on Real Housewives shows. Maybe Bravo should have cameras follow them all around.

03-10-2012
Stitch:the Hand

apparently cathy isn't the only one hedi and his ego-maniacal attitude has not gone after.

http://www.businessoffashion.com/201...s-pr-team.html

and in it also,it seems a lot of other journos from other sources are worried they too will face the same tactics as cathy,as clearly written in last bits in this piece by lisa armstrong of the telegraph.

see that's what i am absolutely disgusted with. this idea that designers can dictate what gets said in reviews and that because you work for a corporation suddenly you have the power to control all aspects of the industry.

03-10-2012
V.I.P.

^ Yeah. What's saddening about scandals in fashion and the established designers/photographers/etc ganging up on people that want to enforce some ethics or just foment the ability to question and feel the liberty to reject what's been thrown at you, is that you realise how much of a climber everyone is and how there's zero sense of solidarity, not even as a community of journalists, which you see less fragmented in other fields like politics without necessarily being accused of trying to "bully" politicians, more putting facts under the microscope. It's bothersome seeing people wondering why even Cathy wrote that in the first place, deeming it as unnecessary, seeing the letter by the journalist at the Independent as completely uncalled for when it's actually [rare] support among colleagues and really stating the facts.. either that or just going on Cathy's "issues" with Hedi, which are actually professional, except fashion has for a long time encouraged this idea that it's supposed to be fun and lighthearted and materialistic that you're a bit of a downer (or a bully as the bully himself called her) if you start pondering on things and getting 'too serious'.. which also explains why it's completely unregulated and has such an archaic structure.

I liked what Imram Amed wrote but I dislike how the article's also injected by this 'please let us in!!' tone that everyone has, reason why others backed down from writing anything on the matter, god forbid they don't get an invitation for [Yves] Saint Laurent next season, cause it's all about them..

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
see that's what i am absolutely disgusted with. this idea that designers can dictate what gets said in reviews and that because you work for a corporation suddenly you have the power to control all aspects of the industry.
The stakes are so high with Hedi and "SL" that of course his corporation/empire would intimate/bully anyone that is critical of the new "vision". It's the ultimate Mean Girls territory. I just didn't expect Hedi to be heading this bit of nastiness.

The Oscar rebuttal to Cathy's review is a joke, isn't it? She didn't even insult him, and yet no one in his entourage pointed this out to him: Can no one in his camp read properly? But this Hedi thing is so nasty and low. I'm taken aback by his very open nastiness and arrogance. If that really is Hedi's writing, then his attitude completely puts me off his designs now. And thankfully, the majority of posters here feel the same. Although, I can't help but yearn for some mock-doc/feature film about exactly just this type of behavior in the high fashion world...

03-10-2012
V.I.P.

"Gaga Takes Slimane’s Side Against Horyn, via Twitter"

http://nymag.com/thecut/2012/10/gaga...nst-horyn.html

Of course she would comment...I hate she is making all these little designer/critic wars about her. Thin skin people to the left, please.

03-10-2012
Power to the 99%

I was expecting to find here an official statement explaining that tweet was a hoax, but no ...

The illiteracy of the tweet is consistent with this quote from the Imram article ...

Quote:
Specifically, they did not agree with our columnist Colin McDowell’s conclusion that while Slimane’s work at Dior Homme was massively influential and built a huge cult following, “it didn’t always translate into convincing sales.” When we explained our thinking, namely that no designer can claim that every single collection is a commercial success, and politely declined to change the article, we were informed via email: “Don’t correct, fare [sic] enough, we won’t collaborate on any kind of project in the future.”
Surely this nut job PR will be replaced ... hopefully sooner rather than later.

And honestly, when I find stuff written like that in my inbox, I report it as spam

03-10-2012
V.I.P.

Oh my God, what kind of communications representative would act that way...the higher-ups at YSL need to correct this ASAP.

03-10-2012
V.I.P.

go away Gaga

this is really turning into a sad state of affairs - for the designers. this is turning the industry into a bigger caricature of itself than it already is.

03-10-2012
front row

The Telegraph also wrote about the Slimane PR:

Paris Fashion Week: Hedi Slimane's Saint Laurent debut

It's interesting to see all the backlash against critics lately.

03-10-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABoy View Post
The Telegraph also wrote about the Slimane PR:

Paris Fashion Week: Hedi Slimane's Saint Laurent debut

It's interesting to see all the backlash against critics lately.
This was not necessary. At all.

Quote:
By the end, most seemed bemused. Backstage, as promised, Slimane (who by the way is very good looking and doesn't need to preside over a police state of airbrushing) accepted no questions - so there are many that remain unanswered.

10-12-2012
V.I.P.

Just spotted Cathy sitting front row at the Pre-Fall show from Oscar. Peace?

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
Just spotted Cathy sitting front row at the Pre-Fall show from Oscar. Peace?
Now that is very interesting. Especially after that open letter he wrote in WWD to her. WOW!

V.I.P.

Well, maybe Oscar, being a wiser man, picked up on the favor Hedi did to Cathy by magnifying the ridiculousness of reacting like a baby towards criticism.. or maybe he just read again what she had actually said about his collection.

fashion insider

Yes, that was very interesting, Cathy sitting in the front row and she was also the last one to arrive like they wanted everyone to see her there. Now, does this mean peace or was this whole dodgy affair just for media attention from both parties who could be friends in real life? The little grey cells are active.

Last edited by Maximilian S; 10-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.
10-12-2012
V.I.P.

I can only assume either ODLR himself or someone from his team had the wisdom to decide it was time to bury the hatchet and move on. A wise choice.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cathy, horyn, la, letter, open, oscar, renta, writes