How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-02-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
That's pretty much it
I like how the font recalls that of a vintage typewriter.
Now I get it, you're right. I like it too.

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

i think it looks quite good and wearable.

chaos reigns

OMFG! Those shorts are atrocious! Like ... I think Ive seen shorts cut that bad only from student fashion shows O_o

On the other hand, she was smart enough to tap onto the whole coral/nude color trend.

And there are a couple of things I dont mind ... though yes, I fell sleep after the flower patterned dress.

fashion icon

The leather shorts are one of my favorite things from the line. I think they look better here on Lauren than the model

Lauren at Coterie day 2

allure.com

Quote:
While at Coterie, the fashion trade show at New York City's Pier 94, mentally assembling our dream wardrobe this weekend (Theory pants, Elizabeth and James jacket...), we noticed a booth coming up on our left that had boutique buyers circling like sharks. It was Paper Crown, Lauren Conrad's new (non-Kohl's) fashion line. Conrad herself was there to explain the line, wearing high-waisted leather shorts from the collection and '60s winged liner. We chatted with her about her favorite Paper Crown look and her all-time beauty hits and hair color misses.

Why the name Paper Crown? When I was little I used to go to my grandmother's and we would always play dress-up; but when I would go there, I wouldn't have my dress-up trunk with me, so we'd make these paper crowns. That was our way of creating our own glamour—and that's what we wanted the line to be like.

From Fashionista.com :

Quote:
“We wanted to the collection to look very clean and fresh–those are the pieces I gravitate towards,” Conrad told me as she walked me through Paper Crown, looking lovely in her leather shorts, a blazer and blush blouse from the line. “When I was designing [the collection] I wanted to do pieces that could be worn lots of different ways–I think it’s nice to invest in pieces you can wear throughout a few seasons. It’s modern but not overly trendy. I wanted an overall romance feel to the line, balanced out with a couple tailored pieces for a slight menswear feel and the leather pieces to balance out the chiffons.”

With Paper Crown, Conrad has achieved what she set out to do: the compact collection is full of on-trend basics like soft knits, silk button down blouses, tailored cropped pants and blazers, and faux-leather shorts and skirts balanced with loose airy chiffon dresses in blacks, blushes, creams, gray-blues and a few muted floral prints. It all looks like stuff Conrad would actually wear (or has already worn). “You’re keeping a customer in mind but you want to love each piece,” says Conrad. Her favorite is the tiered chiffon maxi-dress, which will retail at $400.
Lauren in Paper Crown blazer,top & pants at Coterie day 1

hillsfreak.com

22-02-2011
V.I.P.

At $400 for a dress, she's definitely not courting the Kohl's shopper.

V.I.P.

I personally would not pay $400 for that dress... though I want to know more about the material used... the clothes do look well made from pics...

I think the blazers are best so far in the collection... great tailoring and fit...

This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill
23-02-2011
tfs star

^ That dress is 100% silk chiffon.

I love the tiered maxi and especially the blazer. I love that the tailored basics are very versatile and classic, those pieces are investment pieces, expensive but if they are made well enough to last a long time, they are worth it IMO.

23-02-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjane View Post
Nice but boring. We've seen it all before. Her skills seems to be more stylist than designer. She's good at matching pieces...if she's the one doing the matching.
Totally agree..., the styling is quite good. I can inspirations from Chloe and American Apparel..

23-02-2011
fashion icon

I don't think it's fair to expect Lauren to always make "affordable" clothing. Just because she has a reality background doesn't mean she should be charging cheaper prices because her name isn't Marc Jacobs or something. She --like any designer--should be charging in accordance with the materials and quality which seems to be high in this line. Her Kohl's line fulfills that requirement people seem to have of her to make something affordable for fans. Paper Crown seems to be more a labor of love and for a wider audience.

I think Paper Crown will benefit from not having her name attached and therefore not being associated with The Hills. Someone walking into a store might love and buy the line whereas they wouldn't if the name "Lauren Conrad" was on the tag.

23-02-2011
tfs star

^ I agree. I feel like she is going to be criticized for the price point but she did not do this line as a celebrity line, she is putting her heart and soul into it and considering the materials, where the clothing is manufactured (US mostly), and her target market, I think the price is warranted.

23-02-2011
V.I.P.

I'm not criticizing her price point, all I'm saying is Paper Crown is certainly not for the Kohl's demographic. I like the maxi dress too, but I wouldn't pay $400 for it, whomever the designer.

V.I.P.

I love the tan blazer outfit, that's a total winner.

03-03-2011
rising star

I placed my order for a few of her pieces, since we're going to carry her line at my store. It arrives in July, can't wait!

03-03-2011
fashion icon

^Did you see the line in person? How did you rate the quality of the pieces?

05-03-2011
rising star

I didn't go to the show but they buyer came back and said that he was impressed by the quality of the line. Also the leather isn't actual leather but a faux vegan(?) leather - don't quote me on the vegan part and that it feels supple like real leather. And that Lauren is very friendly in real life

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, crown, fall, paper