How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2005
El Viaje Definitivo

pants & boots

skirt & shoes

Let the stars decide

20-04-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
I often had the discussion about not having anything new under the sun, especially in the fashion context. Maybe there are eras of concepts, and interpretation of these concepts. Maybe we will have the opportunity to see real new inovtions in the fashion industry, but i would rather expect them from the chemists and the biologists rather than the couturiers..
that is true..i know there is a well known outdoor shoe company looking into nanotechnology.

25-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

runner...the cardigan that you posted reminds me of the limi sweater that also has the pockets poking out at the bottom...
and didn't comme do something like that also at one point?...

looks like this had become a 'trend' in the alternative fashion scene...
i like it...i think it works especially well in this version because of the colour
contrast...though the grey version from limi is nice too...

thx for posting sir...
i like the wide pants and shoes as well...but could never wear anything like that...i would be swallowed up by all that fabric...i would look like a munchkin...

follow the yellow brick road ....

Last edited by softgrey; 25-04-2005 at 05:24 AM.
26-04-2005
El Viaje Definitivo

you are welcome softgrey

I like it too.

off topic:
mina & CDG

Let the stars decide
26-04-2005
El Viaje Definitivo

some more from PH

Let the stars decide
26-04-2005
backstage pass

house painter's shoes,do you think martin margiela had inspiration of him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAUL HARNDEN3.jpg (8.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 22.JPG (75.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by oStelios; 26-04-2005 at 08:16 PM.
02-05-2005
El Viaje Definitivo

mens shirt from this spring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phs.jpg (26.8 KB, 17 views)

Let the stars decide
05-05-2005
front row

these were on auction on yahoo.co.jp a few days ago but i wasn't in time for it plus PH pajamas ?!?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noairumi-img600x450-1113875239img_0442.jpg (15.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg noairumi-img600x450-1113875270img_0443.jpg (13.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg noairumi-img600x450-1113876424img_0440.jpg (20.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg noairumi-img600x450-1113876439img_0441.jpg (20.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PH-pyjama.jpg (217.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by surver; 05-05-2005 at 05:53 AM.
05-05-2005
front row

PH x Eames
does anyone remember this one project Paul Harnden did for the special issue on Charles and Ray Eames by the Japanese magazine Casa Brutus in 2001? it was a copper-plated version of the Eames wire chair. very kool. anyone have pics of it? as well as does anyone know if it's available for sale?

18-05-2005
rising star

Does anyone know if any shops in the US or Europe are carrying the painted white oxford with the flat heel for women?

29-05-2005
El Viaje Definitivo

S/S 05
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php2.jpg (50.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg php1.jpg (57.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg php3.jpg (66.3 KB, 13 views)

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 29-05-2005 at 02:03 AM.
06-06-2005
Swim Upstream

tanks runner - this looks like a departure from the norm for Mr Harnden

06-06-2005
front row

I had a chance recently to check out some stuff from this season's collection in person. Coincidentally, not long after Runner added pics on this thread, a store near me began stocking Paul Harnden. So, it got me interested.

I saw and tried on the white unstructured jacket/blazer , some shirts, and several pairs of shoes. I think it is really important to see them up close to appreciate them, the way they are put together is really interesting and the quality is quite exquisite.

BUT... at least in Japan, with shoes from 125,000-140,000 yen (USD $1100-1300) and the jacket was 160,000 yen ($1500)... I can't say I bought anything. While I like the aesthetic... when I tried the stuff on and looked at myself in the mirror... I couldn't help remarking that I looked something like a Victorian age factory worker or chimney sweep. I simply needed to smear some grease or coal-dust on my face to complete the look.

All in all, with prices that high, the whole aesthetic seems to me a little too reminiscent of Marie Antoinette having "fun" dressing up like the villagers around Versailles. In other words, I don't really want to dress up that much to dress down... if that makes any sense.

I think for some people the look (also with Linea and LUC) works really well and they can look GREAT in it... but for me... I just couldn't pull it off. I didn't look "fashion forward" in it... I just looked like a chimney sweep.

But, I would definitely recommend seeing the stuff in person, if you have the chance. The "feel" of the fabrics and the construction of the shoes is really nice.

John

Last edited by rach2jlc; 06-06-2005 at 06:38 PM.
07-06-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I had a chance recently to check out some stuff from this season's collection in person. Coincidentally, not long after Runner added pics on this thread, a store near me began stocking Paul Harnden. So, it got me interested.

I saw and tried on the white unstructured jacket/blazer , some shirts, and several pairs of shoes. I think it is really important to see them up close to appreciate them, the way they are put together is really interesting and the quality is quite exquisite.

BUT... at least in Japan, with shoes from 125,000-140,000 yen (USD $1100-1300) and the jacket was 160,000 yen ($1500)... I can't say I bought anything. While I like the aesthetic... when I tried the stuff on and looked at myself in the mirror... I couldn't help remarking that I looked something like a Victorian age factory worker or chimney sweep. I simply needed to smear some grease or coal-dust on my face to complete the look.

All in all, with prices that high, the whole aesthetic seems to me a little too reminiscent of Marie Antoinette having "fun" dressing up like the villagers around Versailles. In other words, I don't really want to dress up that much to dress down... if that makes any sense.

I think for some people the look (also with Linea and LUC) works really well and they can look GREAT in it... but for me... I just couldn't pull it off. I didn't look "fashion forward" in it... I just looked like a chimney sweep.

But, I would definitely recommend seeing the stuff in person, if you have the chance. The "feel" of the fabrics and the construction of the shoes is really nice.

John
That's EXACTLY how I feel about it. And if you ever get to see Paul himself, a dickensian chimney sweep is exactly what he looks like. I think you hit the nail on the head with the "fashion forward" comment, which i think is very honest. People don't really buy these clothes ONLY for the quality - they do want to look fashion forward. The problem is that the clothes are so bogged down with referencing and detail and construction and quality that sometimes the design itself is rather left behind. In my experience everyone who I've seen wearing this stuff head to toe does look like they've stepped out of the set of a costume drama (albeit one without a good ironing facility!). I think Carpe Diem is slightly different in that it has a more contemporary outlook, but Harnded is certainly like that.

16-06-2005
front row

I'm glad that you agree, Johnny. It makes me feel a little better for not buying $1300 house-painter's shoes...

John

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
harnden, paul, shoemaker