Peter Copping steps down as creative director from Oscar de la Renta - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2016
backstage pass

Peter Copping steps down as creative director from Oscar de la Renta
Vogue Runway has drop the bomb in twitter... more details to come

Last edited by IndigoHomme; 20-07-2016 at 07:06 PM.

20-07-2016
backstage pass

Peter Copping is leaving his post as creative director of Oscar de la Renta, BoF has learned.

“After almost two years at Oscar de la Renta, personal circumstances require me to return to Europe. I have loved my time in New York where I hope to return at some point in the future,” Copping said in a statement.

“We have always been in the business of creating beautiful clothes,” said CEO Alex Bolen. “and two of our greatest assets are our design studio and atelier. Our team will continue to work on next season’s collection with a keen focus on the level of sophistication and craftsmanship that are the hallmarks of the house. We wish Peter well in his future endeavors.”

A replacement for Copping was not named.

BoF will update this story as it develops.

vía BoF → https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...ar-de-la-renta

20-07-2016
backstage pass

The official Release:

vía @booth on Twitter

20-07-2016
front row

OMG what is this, everyone is running away from the big houses?

20-07-2016
front row

I'm kind of over all this drama. This is making the entire industry look out of touch with the real world. Why can't they just close a house when a designer dies or leaves? You'll never get another Oscar dress. Pay respect and move on. The only way this industry can remain relevant is to support and develop young talent, not asking young talent to continuously reinvent old houses.

20-07-2016
front row

Oscar de la Renta is the kind of house that can't go on with the same power without his creator. I don't remember when was the last time that I saw a celebrity using something from this house.
Anyway, the things are changing in fashion and this is good, let's see what gonna happen after all this switches..

20-07-2016
tfs star

Yes Haydn!
They should just close the brand. They don't have a big business and while Oscar was a very talented and important designer, it doesn't really make sense to continue the business....even more now that the designer he choosed steps down.

We have enough big brands in the world for their retailer staff to work for and for the Atelier, they have established designers like J. Mendel.
American fashion doesn't deserve another "Halston-mess".

20-07-2016
V.I.P.

I'm not following this brand that much, but really no one's wearing OdlR? I thought it's still a darling to movie premieres and so on.
Anyway, it's jaw dropping, I couldn't think of a better designer for the brand at all. Sad he's leaving.

front row

Ok, this is not the kind of Fashion that I look forward every season but I'm surprised. Wasn't He the chosen one by Oscar himself ? I agree that this Brand could die worthily but I guess They have a strong clientele among aristocrats, diplomats and such people

20-07-2016
fashion elite

Good. It was horrible anyways. It just kept getting worse and worse. He sucked the fun out of ODLR, it was just depressing towards the end. ODLR was vibrant and fun, it needs someone like that to take over. Good luck!

backstage pass

Oh my God, I really liked Peter at ODLR. His collections were always so feminine and classy yet they had a modern twist. I thought he was so passionate about Oscar's legacy but I somehow understand his decision because it's one of the most limiting houses imho- it has very specific, strong image and that bridal line, I mean someone has to design that, too. I hope he'll show us something special again soon.

20-07-2016
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn View Post
I'm kind of over all this drama. This is making the entire industry look out of touch with the real world. Why can't they just close a house when a designer dies or leaves? You'll never get another Oscar dress. Pay respect and move on. The only way this industry can remain relevant is to support and develop young talent, not asking young talent to continuously reinvent old houses.
I think it is easier said than done since these brands have immense values with years and years of marketing investments ploughed in.

If by getting another designer to do the "same" job and i can still money for a good many year from it, why not? The designer, is just but part of the Human Resource Pay Roll.

A large part is still money speaks, whether we like it or not. Fashion is still but a business, outside of the glitz and glamour.

21-07-2016
http://fashionworldstuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetements View Post
I think it is easier said than done since these brands have immense values with years and years of marketing investments ploughed in.

If by getting another designer to do the "same" job and i can still money for a good many year from it, why not? The designer, is just but part of the Human Resource Pay Roll.

A large part is still money speaks, whether we like it or not. Fashion is still but a business, outside of the glitz and glamour.
Right.
I think they will find designer.
As George5 wrote yet : "They have a strong clientele among aristocrats, diplomats and such people"
The First Ladies are wearing de la Renta.

21-07-2016
V.I.P.

this is really sad, I hope they find a suitable replacement soon

21-07-2016
V.I.P.

I hope "personal circumstances" doesn't mean something's wrong with him or his loved ones.

He did a good job at ODLR, especially his campaigns were always stunning! Wonder what he will do next and who's going to get this job.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
copping, creative, director, la, oscar, peter, renta, steps