Prada F/W 2017.18 Milan - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2017
front row

you know those times where miuccia puts ugly **** on the runway just to see if people eat it up. yeah. i think this is definitely one of those times.

23-02-2017
V.I.P.

The fact that people like these absolutely atrocious pieces and hate Gucci makes me feel like I'm all alone in this forum.

23-02-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
And Seriously, NO WOMAN ON EARTH WOULD WANT TO WEAR A MOHAIR ENSEMBLE OR DRESS!!!
Don't you miss the 20s? Great Gatsby?

I guess Prada fans mostly gone, or am I trippin

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
The fact that people like these absolutely atrocious pieces and hate Gucci makes me feel like I'm all alone in this forum.
The difference is huge. Gucci is built on individually themed, dressed up looks, every look is a box of one of a kind Lego set. Prada is a Lego land. Boxes piled together messy, and a whole land messy are different. Huge.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricciao View Post
The difference is huge. Gucci is built on individually themed, dressed up looks, every look is a box of one of a kind Lego set. Prada is a Lego land. Boxes piled together messy, and a whole land messy are different. Huge.
No idea what this means, but uh thanks for trying?

23-02-2017
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricciao View Post
Don't you miss the 20s? Great Gatsby?

I guess Prada fans mostly gone, or am I trippin
lool.
I still love Prada but i'm not the type to just applaud everything everytime. I'm critical of the designers that i like...Hedi Slimane for instance.

Mohair is very tricky to wear for a woman...It makes you look huge. I love the red dress but the simple fact that it's in mohair gives me heardache.

But the 20's Great Gatsby part was flawless.

23-02-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
No idea what this means, but uh thanks for trying?
It's individuality vs continuity.

Second try

pinimg.com/CNN.com

everything sucks!

How is it that Marc Jacobs and Prada's shows are nearly always in sync, the same season?

23-02-2017
rising star

I'm usually a fan of hers but this collection is very outdated.
There's nothing new or unique about it. Unlike a lot of her collections where you'd see a piece and know straight away that it's Prada, this collection doesn't have that. It's missing a spark a bit. Sure, the individual pieces are nice, but heck, even in the worst collections like Gucci, SLP, Pucci etc some pieces are nice by themselves. The collection as a whole is a big miss I think.

23-02-2017
backstage pass

After last season's non-entity this felt for me like a comeback to the Prada I love, soulful and unrestrained. The combination of a very kitschy late-60's-early-70's array of references and a more fluid 20's line, was simply irresistible, the grittiness in some parts seemed very refreshing coming from her.

Those oversized jackets are the best, they remind me of those PVC ones she did for F/W 10. The use of mohair in those tailored looks seemed completely justified and was perfectly executed. The overload of colored fur midway doesn't lessen the impact of a really stellar outing.

23-02-2017
V.I.P.

You like these theme parks, Pricciao? that second picture looks like hell, whereas the first one looks like a peaceful gift full of wheat variety.

I'm usually indifferent to Prada and can probably at this point just say that I don't like [post-06] Prada. Meanwhile I love the sugary creativity at Gucci and how it's been so precise and excessive and full of energy.. it does make sense to compare Prada to Legoland because, much like Disneyland, I can't think of a more odious place full of themes that never live up to whatever they're based on. I think Gucci is okay being the ball pit at McDonalds, inconsequential and yet feels so good ..

The problem I found with Gucci this season is that he relied too much on a certain order and specific pieces with proved success, which leaves you feeling like it's a remake of his own remakes of vintage pieces.. I'll always favor designers that refuse to flip the page so abruptly just to please a stupid clientele (and Gucci gathers some of the worst- the kind that demand to be served with status and hype at all times) no matter how derivative it feels to the spectator, but this actually feels like it sold well so he was asked to cook more of the same, I mean, how many times do we have to inhale that stupid bomber jacket? the ruffled long dress? the pussy bows?, that aesthetic he favors is endless so, explore a little maybe? challenge yourself?.. there are still some beautiful, good fun type of pieces there, like this jacket and whatever is happening underneath, the mint dress, the white pleated skirts, but I was mostly immune and maybe even bothered by the rest, especially with the added bonus of being so trendy at this point (started by him of course, but no less played out).

As for Prada, I think that in addition to having a good range of feel-good pieces that put a smile on your face (to be aggressively and grossly advertised 4 months later..), there's also a warmth to it, literal and implied, that has been absent in previous years and that seems to be in the air in general and also, and maybe I'm tripping here but even though she's played with these old lady/grandma elements before, this shift towards all things cozy (seen in other shows too) while somehow being the opposite of hibernation by making it so loud, the way these knits crawl on some of the regular 'work' jackets, combined with commentary on the role of women, is an optimistic message about roots and strength, camaderie.. which is a bit bittersweet but shows her sociopolitical side and the wisdom of her years..

So in short, while Alessandro is being realistic (borderline cynical) talking to his luxury brands audience, Miuccia is trying to talk to a broader audience without forgetting her place as a fashion designer. I would love more of this kind of humility in fashion, at least for a while, then we can resume to the fantasy/bubble complex.

Last edited by MulletProof; 23-02-2017 at 09:32 PM.
23-02-2017
V.I.P.

No, I stand no opinion on both of the pictures. It's the way I feel about how Gucci and Prada edit their collections. I google seached in 30 sec, don't expect much.

To people with doubt, my thought about how they come to the conclusion of these are damn ugly, is based on if they can wear them all and walk on the street, then consider they have class. I chose an easier way to explain the difference.
So your theory about how a single piece reflecting each brand's ethos, I wonder how they think about it.

http://fashionworldstuff.

Quote:
you are not alone!
I don't like Miuccia's collection this time. Not at all. The last good was F/W 16-17 if i remember good. Prada makes good bags , that's all. Also if you take the Looks pieces by pieces it will not make the thing better.
I'm not a fan of her last collections. Not at all.
She has always gowns in her collections, but this time is too much of too much,more of more.

24-02-2017
V.I.P.

But Prada has not been as relevant and cool as it was before for more than half a decade.

Self-consciousness kills everything. And now it's not just that, it also looks like they ran out of ideas. They want to be cool for the sake of being cool, and you can never be cool like that. Their collections aren't bold anymore. They want to impress... and the shock factor is never there as of late.

Everything feels clumsy, silly, goofy and clownish... They had a bright moment with the tailored mohair garments, but it was a sort of mirage...

Last edited by Creative; 24-02-2017 at 03:13 AM.
24-02-2017
fashion elite

It's a fantastic collection. A little heavy on the accessories, but that can be forgiven. There are so many incredible pieces that are covetable and chic. The flapper dresses are beautiful and those skirts with the ruffled and feathered hems are beyond chic. Amanda and Lindsey's looks are to die for! The use of those old novel prints got me excited. I smiled when I watched the livestream. Miuccia and her team have been at the top of their game. You can really tell that they've been working harder. This collection and last season is evidence of that. This collection will sell well. It's been designed to be broken down. Net a Porter and MyTheresa will eat this up!

Pricciao,

That whole Gucci comparison is by far one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum. If anything, Gucci is the theme park. Everything was bedazzled and embroidered. Prada is well edited. Her pieces can actually be integrated into a wardrobe and worn for years to come. The same cannot be said about Gucci which is starting to look like a couture Ed Hardy. In 10 years someone will look in their closet and say "Why did I buy this?".

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
f or w, milan, prada