How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-01-2009
fashion insider

This is Prada.....??...I can't beliebe I almost fell asleep watching it, since when she became so restricted in terms of colors....and shapes.....there isn't a new shape here and I always counted on her for that...it's not very appealing to me....I wanted to wear almost everything from her SS09 collection...but this is very boring...

I guess it won't be the stylists cake as every season......( I really hope so)

19-01-2009
trendsetter

Black and boring.
At least I won't need to pass by the shop this winter.
Throwing studs on an otherwise dull item is to be neither here nor there and a thin veneer of show to an otherwise forgettable lineup.
Sure the angst of Anne Clark and the "Control" lighting and Ian Curtis wardrobe staples might make for an interesting retro slice but it is NOT INNOVATIVE, just grim and DULL.

Geometric Discharge

I really love it all.

Oh the buttonless coats ! . . And the buttoned coats ! I love it all.

And how much would I die for a pair of those brogues covered in studs ? ?
Really nice work Miucca. Really loving it.

19-01-2009
V.I.P.

Prada's strong, sinister menswear show
'What if it is only available to those who can afford it,' a scared female voice whispered over the runway, as she described crawling toward a gas station in a caterpillar line of cars, all running on empty.

Then, out into the confined circular space jammed with Prada's audience, walked a tribe of men, long dark coats over slate gray suits over pale, bare skin.

Miuccia Prada's take on the autumn/winter 2009/10 menswear season was strong, striking and sinister. Who were these men who soon appeared peppered with studs, first on their tough shoes, then on the back of the long, straight coats and finally close to the chest, set inside the stripes of a tailored shirt?

"It is about being strong and about Europe - what we have to do to keep holding on to history - and the enclosed space because of feeling the pressure of everything we have to deal with," said the enigmatic Prada backstage.

Take or leave the complex thought process - this was a great show and may well define the international menswear season. It was based on tailoring, with the calf-length, unlined coat in contrast to the short, boxy shape on other runways.

Black leather sweaters, raw fur front panels to a coat - and, of course, the metal studs - gave a menacing military undercurrent. But these clothes were not weird. And even if business suits were shown over naked flesh, a flash of orange stripes and graphic shirt patterns lightened the mood, just when the show threatened to get too heavy.

What is it about Prada that sets her light years ahead of the rest?

It is the thought process - the way she appears to embrace the current world, so that the mind's eye sees the new President Barack Obama in the long slim silhouette and the Russian oil mongers in the studded boots, although there is never an overt suggestion of these realities.

The shows, therefore, become intensely political, yet, when broken down to a sweater, a shirt or a tough-man bag, are just offering enticing modern fashion. When it comes to ideas, Prada is certainly not running on empty.

by suzy menkes, iht.com

19-01-2009
V.I.P.

so it went from last fall's briliant and stunning feminine collection to this boring collection? what the hell. i find the collection really boring. if this is the menswear, imagine what the womenswear is going to be.....boring maybe? only desirable pieces here for me are the studded pieces and maybe one coat. considering this is prada, it's really depressing

God Save McQueen

I LOVE this. The studded pieces are so badass, even I want a pair of the shoes. I love the leather and the classic suits too. Wonderful, and I hope it tells of what she will do for women's wear. I would be quite content if she followed the same theme.

I definitely think its a reaction to our times. We are going through a horrible period in history and what is better than to wear leather and studs through it.

19-01-2009
V.I.P.

^ I'd love it if she followed this theme, too. It's fantastic!
Long coats and studded pieces look quite cool, and i love the tops, they look relaxed and elegant at the same time.

19-01-2009
V.I.P.

That was some comparison with Blaak...and here I tohught she is always original!

19-01-2009
DŌMMkammern

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarcmma View Post
This is Prada.....??...I can't beliebe I almost fell asleep watching it, since when she became so restricted in terms of colors....and shapes.....there isn't a new shape here and I always counted on her for that...it's not very appealing to me....I wanted to wear almost everything from her SS09 collection...but this is very boring...

I guess it won't be the stylists cake as every season......( I really hope so)
you may think there are no good "shapes" here, but i say she is the one and only who has managed to do a decent wide lapel this season. everyone is trying and they are all going off proportion.
there's a little bit of "mad men" in the suits too, no?
before the urban-neo-goth-hipster passage

tfs star

How disappointing. The problem is that this is a snooze fest. I usually look to either strongly hate her collection and come to love it a few months later or just really love what Miuccia does and think that she's incredibly brilliant.

But this collection doesn't really get a reaction from me at all and as much as I can't stand Miuccia and the hype around her, it doesn't seem right that I don't really have a strong hate or love for this. It's just OK.

19-01-2009
V.I.P.

i think in terms of clothing design there is nothing to make a head turn, even these gloss or half-gloss leather like shirts.. i did notice the chest and neckline are fitted well and then everything else is left slouchy, which is a lovely idea

she is so good at presentation
i think that's the main thing that makes her shows so memorable
using the mottled black floor background with the smooth black clothes against it.. and some of those looks carried a subtle brown or green, which might not be so noticeable on another floor

19-01-2009
backstage pass

Prada play tricks on my mind. At first I hate their collections but then they magically grow on me. I didn't like the three previous ones at first sight but after a few weeks of deliberation I'm happily in love. This on the other hand doesn't hit the right spot in my heart, some of it I love but the bolts and whatnot turns me off. No way in a million years will the leather and the studs grow on me

windowshopping

OMG I love the shoes! Are they studded?

V.I.P.

yes^

19-01-2009
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjacapella View Post
you may think there are no good "shapes" here, but i say she is the one and only who has managed to do a decent wide lapel this season. everyone is trying and they are all going off proportion.
there's a little bit of "mad men" in the suits too, no?
before the urban-neo-goth-hipster passage
sorry but that's not what I said.....I said that there are no NEW shapes here ....I didn't said those weren't good...just classic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, f or w, mens, milan, prada