23-09-2010
front row

Very much Prada!
Jungle book chic!
It was stunning.

23-09-2010
trendsetter

^^ Yes, loved the banana earrings!

I can't imagine anyone could be so conservative that they couldn't bring themselves to wear a pair of banana earrings, on the weekend, surely?

Incidentally, were the furs real, does anyone know? I thought they looked faux in the video, but maybe that was just my wishful thinking?

23-09-2010
trendsetter

I loved how she went back to cater the business women with those minimal suits and the black dresses. That's the Prada that I really appreciated. I'm also loving the banana prints idek why...

The bags were so chic and as for the shoes, I'm only particular to the striped mary jane pumps. Overall, it's a great collection.

23-09-2010
backstage pass

i dont think any of the girls looked particularly good though...

23-09-2010
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloehandbags View Post
^^ Yes, loved the banana earrings!

I can't imagine anyone could be so conservative that they couldn't bring themselves to wear a pair of banana earrings, on the weekend, surely?

Incidentally, were the furs real, does anyone know? I thought they looked faux in the video, but maybe that was just my wishful thinking?
They look like real fox. I'd be shocked if it turned out they were faux.

23-09-2010
V.I.P.

This is nowhere near as favorable as prada spring/summer 2010, which I'm still lusting over, but it's truly amazing how Miuccia was able to clash all these references and elements and create such a vivid collection that just oozes plenty of inspirations. I'm getting spanish references with rugby stripes with street wear sneakers with simple uniform silhouettes with some 1920s flapper. And to top it off, a dash of humour and cheeky fun with those banana and monkey prints. It's simply fabulous.

trendsetter

I don't get this at all. This is so ugly to me. The glasses were just to weird and the clothes look horrible. In the last couple of years the clothes have gotten worse. Prada to me is so overrated.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
They look like real fox. I'd be shocked if it turned out they were faux.

Thanks, Spike - yes, I had a look at the pics and they look real to me too, now, unfortunately.

Shame.

23-09-2010
backstage pass

We know what to expect with Miuccia - the unexpected. She holds up a mirror to the psyche of society - we are easily bored, crave the novel. It's all very bipolar.

So after some seriousness for AW10/11 - pure fun.

This collection felt a little like JCDC/Ashish. But then there were parallels between Prada and those labels in SS10.

But disorientation reigned as our eyes received one message, our ears another, Te he Visto Pasar being essentially a lament. Baroque Opera and Bananas. But then our eyes were spliced too with the jungle madness intersected with a set of funereal looks.

I enjoyed the first few looks as a commentary on minimalism and sickness.

Monkey see, monkey do. See no evil, hear no evil. Yes, the West has gone utterly bananas right now. Brilliant.

Last edited by Tentacl Ventricl; 23-09-2010 at 09:45 PM.
23-09-2010
V.I.P.

This is what Suzy Menkes had to say

Quote:
MILAN — The fur scarves were so bright they popped off the runway: DayGlo orange, shocking pink and bright green. Something for foxy showgirls to wind around perfectly plain black dresses.

or this was Prada , home of shock, surprise and awe that one designer can have such courage and daring — yet create such simple clothes. Yes, Miuccia Prada herself wore dangling banana earrings to take her bow and showed dresses printed with a monkey prancing in a baroque frame of greenery.

But the designer also cut a new, longer silhouette, and reinvented a new suit with elongated jacket, over-the knee slim skirt in pervasive horizontal stripes and purposeful platform sneakers in more bright colors.

“I started from the simplicity of the men’s collection — but I wanted it to be like a musical as a symbol of boldness,” said Ms. Prada backstage, where the sandwiches were as brightly colored as the bikinis of a Brazilian beach.

But, of course, not even the banana-patterned shirt or Mexican embroideries on a white dress were referring to any hot-blooded South American scenario but to the burning imagination in the Prada mind.

As they marched out on the shiny silver runway under a metal structure that looked like the roof of a city parking garage, the strong colors and geometric stripes were just dabs of brightness on something plain.

Ms. Prada talked about her fascination with the baroque and the way that it undulated from Sicily to South America — hence curlicue sunglasses and sombreros hanging from the nape beside the two tidy little buns of hair.

The Prada message was for color, optimism and imagination, but it was also basically streamlined, using cotton fabric for slender striped dresses.

As the cheers rang out for this exceptional collection, the audience knew that nothing in fashion is so difficult to achieve as a powerful idea perfectly executed.
nytimes.com/

23-09-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i need to watch the feed...
but i have to say that i just love the fact that it is sooooooooooo far from what happened last season at prada...

*soooo many articles written about this big statement with bigger models and the return to the curvy feminine woman....
and then she just wanders off and does this!...
haha...
it serves all those silly fashion journalists right for trying to make something out of nothing...
imho...

fashion is fickle...and it changes before your eyes...

if for no other reason, i like this collection...
because it is SO uniquely prada, and so NOT just another fashion show...

in a market where everything begins to blur and look the same...
this is so refreshing to see...even if it makes me laugh a bit...
when you take risks, you are bound to have hits and misses...
but let's take a second to applaud the risk-taking...
especially in this retail climate!
while i largely agree with this idea, i must say that i like this collection mainly because i have no choice. as i've stated for years and years in this forum, this is the old prada trick. she does it perennially: she creates things so outstandingly and garishly ugly; she dares the viewer to hate it. over the months it takes to digest the collection, it slowly forces the viewer to reconsider it and eventually grow to like it. it's like a controversial new piece of art. one wants to recoil, but then the very thing that makes one step back winds up bringing one back to love it.

with that said, one has to commend prada for not only standing alone in the fashion field, but one has to applaud her for finding a way to even find new things to explore within her own zany world. the prints startle me with their audaciousness. they're unplayfully playful. they're self-serious in a way. the shapes of these clothes remain frighteningly noncontemporary yet daringly modern. and in the world of conspicuous consumption, no one can deny that each of these pieces worn on their own announces to the world "PRADA!!" it doesn't even need the logo.

and while i haven't yet arrived at that place where i'm loving it. i bet that despite myself, i'll come to love this stuff by the time it lands in the stores. i have a pair of new loafers from the fall/winter 2010 collection that testifies to that turnaround. that's the genius of prada.

trendsetter

I like the irreverence of it and the makeup and the shoes and the last few black dresses but overall this isn't for me.

front row

some of the long-sleeved coats and dresses remind me of Calvin Klein F/W 2010

23-09-2010
fashion insider

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the big breasts and VS models... thank God Prada was into that for only one season, phew. Suzy just described the collection... it did not change my opinion in which I think this is not a very good collection. But what else to do you expect from Prada, you expect the unexpected. Every season she does something different than the season before and she never repeats does it again! Every season theres something NEW, something we may or may not like. That's what I love about Prada, the unexpected.

Prada you are a God on Earth!

23-09-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Only Miuccia Prada could attach a label like "minimal baroque" to a collection whose references ranged from hospital scrubs to seventeenth-century cherubs to Jazz Age superwoman Josephine Baker. Fishing around for an alternative to "fresh," she herself came up with "brave, bold, and obvious"—that last one a typical head-spinner. Maybe there was something obvious in the sheer uplift of the solid blocks of primary color; the jungle prints and striped sombreros; the straightforward summery-ness of a spaghetti-strapped, ruffle-hemmed dress striped in orange and pink. But there was also more than enough of Prada's twisty-ness to boost this collection into her already chock-full pantheon of greats. Those cherubs, for a start, plucked from a curlicued baroque interior and all mixed up with bananas and naďve monkeys in an exuberantly cartoonish print that looked like something lifted from a poster for a Josephine Baker performance at the Folies Bergčre in the twenties. (The models' finger-waved hair also echoed Baker's.) But there was nothing cartoonish about a supremely elegant white shift with a Baker-like silhouette sinuously snaking up and out of a forest of multicolored curlicues.

Prada delivered electric hits of orange, green, blue, and radioactive violet in deliberately plain cotton suits, like the most (extra)ordinary uniforms. That theme continued in all the stripes. Prisoner, postman, sailor, orderly: The uniforms might have taken a cue from her last—equally special—men's collection, but they were also an evolution of Fall's spectacularly womanly shapes. This time around, however, the glamour was raw, amplified by the pop-colored stoles the models were toting, the graphic silent-movie makeup by Pat McGrath, and the severely sensual outfits in basic black that closed the show as the soundtrack crackled with the static of an old tango record. Miuccia's message was crystal-clear. As she said backstage, banana earrings vibrating: "It's time to be bold." And that's one maxim that, with any luck, will rub off on the world at large.
By Tim Blanks at style.com

Frankly, this is unsurprising. As someone already said, it gets rave reviews just based on it being Prada. In my opinion, this is by far one of the ugliest collections this season, even worse than Alexander Wang.

Tags
11, milan, prada, s or s