How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2012
fashion elite

I dont see anything bad about shoes. They look freaky but they will find their customers. But guys, what do you think about that ugly flowers??? They look so cheap and exactly because of them clothes look not so good. Why she decided to put that childish (not in the good way) flowers instead more realistic flower print?
Silhouttes of the collection are not bad - the mix of futuristic and japanese style.
Im so glad that the year of Prada away from us because I cant imagine people wearing this on red carpets. The circus

21-09-2012
tfs star

I loved all of the re-interpreted kimono blouses and dresses, they were fantastic. I was expecting fur but I wasn't quite sure how she would do it and I'm pleasantly surprised with what she chose. In my mind Prada didn't do shoes this season. I'll just ignore those monstrosities.

21-09-2012
etre soi-meme

i was in shock watching the livestream
first thing that came in my mind was mourning for the current economic situation in Europe
then i thought pleasing the affluent Asian client
and at the end, i thought 'what a mess'

like so many said here, the collection was probably done in a hurry, with tight budget, and in a depressive mood.
i so agree with those CDG, Junya and MMM references that took all the Prada out of this collection.

true, there are 4 great looks like the simple blue dress, the fun eyewear or the satin two piece just before the finale but still, to me this is the worst Prada collection to date.

i'll skip the tabi shoe-socks and the silly flipflop platforms

Quote:
The show played out to the mournful voice of Megumi Satsu, singing in French in the early 1980s about love and about suicide.
suicidical indeed and a real sad collection

21-09-2012
fashion insider

I can't even find the words for this.

21-09-2012
V.I.P.

HD video

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Plain Jane View Post
Well... I really disliked that "car" collection with the 50s nostalgia and references to being "sweet".

So: this is a welcome change for me. I like it! There, phew, I said it.

It has the geisha references, yes, but there's a toughness here in all the folds and flowers. Everything is undercut (overcut?). And the 60s references, too, in the daises and minis, suggest a more liberated self. Those totally rad sunglasses seem very sixties, as do some of the bags, too.The shoes, of course, are silly, but they're part of the whole, the metonymic drift, you could say. Here, she plays. Just like those car shoes!

The folding made me think of Christopher Kane's collection for Spring; he too manipulated fabric back on itself like that. He tacked it with a bolt, she with another fold.

The collection seems like a mix of Japanese hyperrealism, 60s nostalgia, and a nod to the future as well. For me, it works.
Much as I love you NJP (oops ), I feel this is something of an interpretative bum steer.

Yes you can see a 60's influence if you want - in the minis and the joyful nature nod of the flowers - but, for me, if we want to get rid of retroism (and I am pleased that by and large there's now, finally, less of it; I think we should resist viewing things through that particular prism?

You got the geisha references so why not continue that line of flight into one's understanding of the meaning attributed by the flowers? If we look at eastern/chinese floral symbolism the daisy connotes innocence, purity, loyalty and, intriguingly, the keeping of secrets. So a sweetness but undercut, within, we might say, loyalty (monogamy?) when being loyal pans out into the harbouring of a shared confidence - the becoming a confidant. So sweetness but just beneath the surface, something naughtier, something to be hidden from convention and polite society. A gentle eroticism. Of focus upon the connection between hiddenness and the flower. To represent that one keeps one's flower hidden is nevertheless a reference to the hidden flower. Perhaps these sweet Prada girls are, this season, mistresses. Which speaks again to the french sensibility. Is there perhaps a little Gauginism at work here - that french Polynenisian naturalism?

Re the video just above: it's soundtrack is different to the one with the video at #57 on page 4 of this thread. I know not which is the 'correct' soundtrack, the one Prada played contemporaneously. But I urge people to view #57. That soundtrack is gateway to the sensual eroticism and erotic sensuality of the collection. And what woman doesn't love a bit of erotic sensuality, a naughty secret here and there and the thought of worship of her hidden flower?

Last edited by Tentacl Ventricl; 21-09-2012 at 07:25 AM.
21-09-2012
backstage pass

http://www.chinaflowerscn.com/englis...asp?newsid=136

thought to share it before I shut it down

21-09-2012
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentacl Ventricl View Post

Re the video just above: it's soundtrack is different to the one with the video at #57 on page 4 of this thread. I know not which is the 'correct' soundtrack, the one Prada played contemporaneously. But I urge people to view #57. That soundtrack is gateway to the sensual eroticism and erotic sensuality of the collection. And what woman doesn't love a bit of erotic sensuality, a naughty secret here and there and the thought of worship of her hidden flower?
the original soundtrack is the one in the video at #57 and while i was not particularly fond of it, i agree that it's a perfect complement to the eroticism of the collection

21-09-2012
backstage pass

The few pieces at the end were quite lovely, and some of the coats are nice as well in prada-ugly way... Other than that, yeah disappointing

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
the original soundtrack is the one in the video at #57 and while i was not particularly fond of it, i agree that it's a perfect complement to the eroticism of the collection
I know not whether you are a 'Mistress' mistress_f in the SM/subdom sense. Your site name could of course not bear any connect at all to that world. It's perhaps your hidden secret. And decorum warrants I leave it that way and get onto my point ..which stepped off the 'mistress' thing. And which turns back to my somewhat journalistic conjuring of the Fifty Shades of Grey conduit. Nobody can deny there was a lot of grey?

Miuccia is, for me, making a journey between, facing-off, two sites of fantasy within the collective consciousness. And what a delightful thing for fashion to do. It becomes almost, literary. The whole SM thing (the marketing success of Fifty Shades merely serves to show that what is really a 90's cultural phenomenen is ready to cross over to the mainstream - the provincial, the suburban). Essentially SM is the Western fantasy du jour. To do with control and domination play, it's an adjunct of Western feminism. Perhaps? Mistress? It's a hard and fierce woman? It's a summoning of physical power? An assertion of being above (and beyond) the Other. [in a way celebrity is about that too]

But, of course, Miuccia will follow the path of examining the truth of a theme by facing it up with it's opposite. West to East - at least in the contemporary Western mind - the Eastern fantasy du jour - or better the new sun rising - is an intrigue with matters spiritual and specifically the combination of spiritualism and eroticism in the arena of tantric massage.

So, fetishism and Tantra? Opposites? Yes. There are many ways one can put it but in simple terms flogging someone or massaging them toward a whole- being multi-orgasmic state. One looks distinctly like it might have something to do with hate, the other, love?

And you see, for me, this is another chapter in Miuccia's advocating sweetness. I have always been a feminist (as much as a man can be) because I am left-leaning. But I'm afraid I do find now that in the West all too many women have become abusive to men in some form or another. Western women's obsession has come to be tied up (pun intended) with overpowering men; with getting their own way in all things, with being in control. It may have gone far enough.

Hence Miuccia essentially tells a narrative of the passing from fifty shades of grey to Tantrism. From West to East. From the old collective fantasy to the new one. Even, we might say, from darkness to light. From the myth of control to the relaxation of letting go.

I also now see fetishism as an adjunct of a particularly Western form of competitiveness. That's the same competitiveness which gives femme the notion of 'having it all'. Seems to me it's in fact a generational thing and that we're passing from darkness to light.

21-09-2012
windowshopping

I am still not too sure if I like this collection or not.. We'll see in a few days

21-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentacl Ventricl View Post
Yes you can see a 60's influence if you want - in the minis and the joyful nature nod of the flowers - but, for me, if we want to get rid of retroism (and I am pleased that by and large there's now, finally, less of it; I think we should resist viewing things through that particular prism?

You got the geisha references so why not continue that line of flight into one's understanding of the meaning attributed by the flowers?
I see what you mean about retroism and steering clear. I think it was mainly the minis and then also the accessories (bags, glasses) that had me thinking of the 60s. The daisy type flower was also ubiquitous back then.

I just found it hard to think of geishas in those minis, but perhaps that's the sexier bit? Of course, flowers link nicely with the geisha... "in bloom," and all those connotations. I like the idea of a subtle eroticism to the collection: the soundtrack and fabrics work with this, as does the geisha, obviously: the idea of fur on skin in the summer, and slippery satin...all very tactile.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
21-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
I feel like I'm looking at a Comme des Garcons collection. Or Junya Watanabe. It's not bad, but it's not Prada.
Well, it is Prada before all else, though I fail to see genuineness behind it myself.
Personally, it sounds very degrading and unfounded comparing this with any part of Junya's oeuvre... not even aesthetically or conceptually and sure as hell doesn't have anything to deal with technique, he's proving to be of highest integrity year after year, and I like to believe - twice as masterful as anything presented in here.
The more I look at this, any cleverness behind it is just tumbling down; nor I also feel the desire to actally own/wear a single garment from the collect, and that always says a lot.
Also, what's been annoying me about Prada is that, it's been years since they've last produced a solid, timeless and what's ought to be a conteporary bag for fashion savvy women who have no intetion of being ostentatious... I was hoping the time is now, but...

21-09-2012
backstage pass

Too much fur for summer!! Don't like the shoes and the hair, but at least was a good collection

21-09-2012
backstage pass

For the most part, this was just head-to-toe awful. Very few pieces/outfits I was truly able to appreciate, especially with those vile shoes.

Last edited by Alexei; 21-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, milan, prada, s or s