How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-02-2012
fashion insider

Hmm...why do we even have copyright and patent laws? It's to protect the process of creativity and innovation, as no one will invest time and money if it is legal to rip off the success of others. Of course in fashion it is a lot more ambiguous, and such laws cannot be enforced as short of a blatant direct copy, nothing can be proven beyond doubt and enforced legally. It doesn't mean it cannot be called out as it hardly hurts the designers' profits, bottom line and even reputation - Proenza Schouler will go on to sell this hugely successful and popular line. However, it does mean that designers are rewarded for the wrong things, and the truly innovative designers are not rewarded for taking risks.

In fact, designers are often penalized for showing something new, different, and that goes against current trends and fashion, sorry, I am still upset about the widespread criticisms and pressure that forced out Paulo Melim Anderssen - to know why we have to go back and look at his FW2007 collection for Chloe that cost him his job, a collection that was bold, edgy, prescient and sensed the change in bigger, boxier cut, in bold paintbrush strokes and prints that lasted till this year (5 years in total), in the move away from vintage-y girlishness.

http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/F2007RTW-CHLOE

So, good designers who take risks get booted while those who wait and watch from the side and then jump on get rewarded.

I remember NG himself was the object of severe criticism when he plagiarized Kaisik Wong's collage dress - and it was only one dress, and not a "copy and paste" job either.

I don't get why PS or MJ should be the exception?

19-02-2012
fashion icon

Sorry but a similar asymmetrical skirt hem with no other obvious similarities does not constitute plagiarism or warrant a discourse on copyright laws. The reactions to this collection seem a bit over the top. There is nothing in fashion that hasn't been done before. Everyone who does an A-line skirt, drop waist, cut-outs...etc would have to be deemed plagiarists.

It seems people are upset because Proenza took silhouettes no one previously liked and made them look good and wearable and is getting rightfully praised for it. Proenza did their own take on sportswear with an Asian influence just as other designers have before them and many will do after. All this crying wolf over plagiarism makes it hard to be sympathetic when there really is blatant copying.

19-02-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourni View Post
I don't know how Jack and Lazaro have the nerve to show something like this. This is completely Balenciaga and I don't know how some of you can justify this blatant plagiarism. Worst of all is the fact that they are showing things we have already seen before, if you're going to adopt Ghesquiere's aesthetic (which is wrong to begin with), at least do it in a new way.

This is a true embarrassment for NYFW.
agreed what a shame

19-02-2012
backstage pass

they can never disappoin, brilliant!

19-02-2012
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashunviktim View Post
no one here said they had cut + pasted it. i think everyone is acknologiing the similarities and giving credit to Celine and Balenciaga for the inspiration. even cathy horn agreed so i don't think its fair to ignore it because its a good show for new york. its fine to reference and be influenced and i don't think anyone disagrees with that because we would not have this industry without it but i think it is silly to be shocked/angry by people calling them out for it. it is a great collection but lets be fair.
The people who've labelled this collection a case of "blatant plagiarism" most certainly have said that they've cut and pasted another designer's work to form this collection, even if it wasn't phrased that way. Plenty of people have pointed out that they see the influence of someone or something else in this collection, which is hardly a crime since even the great Nicolas Ghesquiere has been influenced by other people. But then there are those calling the PS boys knock-off artists because of passing similarities in look, in feel and in silhouette.

There's a hell of a difference between being influenced by a mood or idea that's already floating around in the collective consciousness within fashion (that's where trends come from after all) and xeroxing the work of someone else.

And I'd just like to point out that a lot of the things here that people are so "that's Balenciaga" about, things like angular, dropped waist mini skirts, oversized boyish jackets, and intricate handiwork/textile development, are nothing new to Proenza Schouler.

Last edited by Spike413; 19-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, f or w, proenza, schouler, york