How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-02-2012
flaunt the imperfection

R.I.P. Eiko Ishioka
r.i.p. eiko ishioka

bram stoker's dracula

the fall

the cell

grace jones, hurricane tour

bjork, cocoon

the amazingly talented designer eiko ishioka died of pancreatic cancer on saturday in tokyo. she was 73. she earned both an oscar & a grammy for her work.

she trained as a graphic designer & was considered the foremost art director in the world. she won the academy award for costume design in 1992 for bram stoker's dracula, directed by francis ford coppola. if you haven't seen her work in this film it's a must - the costumes are beyond brilliant.

ms. ishioka was closely associated with director tarsem singh, for whom she designed costumes for four films. for the cell, starring jennifer lopez, she designed a headpiece that resembled a cross between a rigid neck brace & a forbidding bird cage. "jennifer asked me if i could make it more comfortable," ms. ishioka told the ottawa citizen in 2000, "but i said, 'no, you're supposed to be tortured'." she also worked on the fall, immortals & mirror, mirror with singh.

on the broadway stage, ms. isioka designed sets & costumes for david henry hwang's 1988 drama m. butterfly, for which she earned 2 tony nominations & more recently, costumes for the musical spider-man: turn off the dark.

she won a grammy in 1986 for her design of mile davis's album "tutu". a must see is her work for japanese boutique stores, parco. they included nude or nearly nude models - a rarity in japan at the time. many of the ads rarely depicted anything sold at parco. she did a GENIUS commercial for them starring faye dunaway peeling & eating a hard-boiled egg.

her other work included designing uniforms & outerwear for the swiss, canadian, japanese & spanish teams a the 2002 winter olympics in salt lake city. she was also the director of costume design at the opening ceremony of the 2008 summer olympics in bejing. she designed costumes for cirque du soleil's "varekai" & was the visual artistic director of the illusionist david copperfield's 1996 broadway show.
she also designed costumes for grace jone's hurricane tour - i saw this show & the costumes were just beyond. she also directed bjork's music video for cocoon.

a sad loss.

reallifeiselsewhere.blogspot.com

05-02-2012
flaunt the imperfection

http://www.nowness.com/day/2012/2/3/...ka-s-final-bow

video on nowness.com
images of her most recent film project...MirrorMirror...
photographer: brigitte lacombe...

*i don't know how to post the video here...if anyone can do it (or tell me how)...
thanks in advance

05-02-2012
flaunt the imperfection

Trailer for the film Mirror, Mirror...
http://mirrormirrorfilm.com/#/home/trailer

HOLY MOLY...
you have got to check out these costumes...
out.of.control.

*i think the dwarves are my faves...:p

05-02-2012
V.I.P.

Aww, those costumes are wonderful, as in full of wonder. And how joyous! Nice that her last project was a happy one. May she rest in peace. Wow, what a compendium of brilliance in the first post.

p.s. I am going to love seeing Julia Roberts as a villain, mwa ha ha ha!

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged
05-02-2012
front row

The costumes from Bram Stroker's Dracula have got to be some of my favorites I've ever seen...such amazing attention to detail and time period...Eiko will be sorely missed...

05-02-2012
barcode

I had no idea she was sick. I feel like I just recently read an article about her work in The Immortals, and I don't remember any mention of her having cancer.

She was absolutely brilliant. Most of the reason I forced myself to sit through the "The Cell" was to see her work, which was absolutely breathtaking. I also loved her work for "Dracula" and "The Fall". Such a loss to film, to fashion and to art in general.

Last edited by Spike413; 05-02-2012 at 08:07 PM.
05-02-2012
Hell on Heels

She was truly a genious. Tarsem Singh's movies would be way less interesting if they didn't have her incredible work. not to mention the work she did for the beijing olympics opening ceremony. Or anything else she's ever done. Such a great loss.

06-02-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeMigs View Post
The costumes from Bram Stroker's Dracula have got to be some of my favorites I've ever seen...such amazing attention to detail and time period...Eiko will be sorely missed...
Absolutely, ignoring how awful Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder's accents and acting were, the film is genius and the costume design makes up most of that genius.
A lot of the costumes, including the white lace wedding dress posted, were inspired by the work of Gustav Klimt - Klimt engulfed his figures with their golden costumes of intricate patterns and incredible details, and Eiko Ishioka made them real.
Imagine the depth of research Ishioka must have gone to to design these costumes and the detail that might never be seen but she invested in pieces that made an impact in the cinema.
If you look closely while watching the film (I've watched it many times) you can see that Dracula's red armour he wears at the beginning is echoed in Mina's clothing - her green dress at the end of the film has a layered and pointed cuff, as if suggesting she is turning towards the side of Dracula.
Eiko Ishioka's designs in this film really convey the power of clothing and costume.

R.I.P. Eiko Ishioka

soulbots.tumblr.com
byczek.wordpress.com

06-02-2012
V.I.P.

I didn't know she was sick. How sad I had never heard of her before seeing her thread here on tFS ( Eiko Ishioka ) a while ago but have been a big fan of her work ever since. She was a truly outstanding talent.

R.I.P.

07-02-2012
tfs star

how sad
i'm a big fans of her work and it's amazing how she still did some works toward the end of her life. RIP

08-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

Mirror, Mirror must have been a pleasure to work on... the dwarf costumes with those elongating pants are amazing!
They look like accordions...

This makes me want to go back and watch the films she designed costumes for.

08-02-2012
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
Mirror, Mirror must have been a pleasure to work on... the dwarf costumes with those elongating pants are amazing!
They look like accordions...
seriously, when i watched the trailer and saw the dwarves costumes i 'wow'ed . her costumes are the only thing that make that movie interesting to me, i'm afraid that not even tarsem's directing it could save the film.

08-02-2012
fashion elite

Such a talent, i read the other day that she died.
TBH i did know her, but i wasn't too related with her work in detail, too bad since she was such a talent.

She had a pretty amazing and interesting aesthetic

girl who fell to earth

She has such a signature or at least a distinct style and talent once you make the connections...

It's a shame that costume designers aren't more widely recognized for their talent.
I'm sad to say that I didn't know who she was before I stumbled into this thread.

08-02-2012
girl who fell to earth

Here are a few images from the upcoming Mirror, Mirror

from theskinnystiletto.wordpress.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eiko, ishioka, rip