Rachel Roy F/W 08.09 New York - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-02-2008
fashion elite

i'm not a fan of most of her designs because i just don't like the silhouettes. i do think there is too much heavy-ness and decoration but it seems to get a little lighter toward the end..

01-02-2008
Amour Comme Hiver

It's... almost to me. Just almost. Something is a bit off kilter, but it certainly isn't a bad collection.

01-02-2008
V.I.P.

^ I agree. I think maybe with some different fabrics or maybe different colors, this could've been really beautiful.

scenester

I think it all looks too much like standard "womenswear". Very traditional and conservative, boxy cuts.

There's no youth in them, either. I mean, older folks deserve fierce fashion, too, but I sincerely see these items on my Nana.

Model Citizen, I love your siggy! I agree!

fashion elite

i dont like this... it reminds me of officewear from the 80's..

01-02-2008
V.I.P.

I think Rachel is gorgeous and very talented, but she designs so few pieces and they are all so conservative. I think she is looking for a Jackie O look, which is great, but a little more youth in the mix wouldn't hurt. A bit too socialitey for me

01-02-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

Maybe I'm the only one here but I LOVED this and think it feels not only very American but very fresh. It's a real growth from her last collection which was just too obvious. I feel the mix of themes and textures is just right and while I agree on the model sometimes the fit looks a bit bulky I think it's just down the styling (or I hope anyway). I actually don't really feel like anyone else is doing anything similar because it seems to me she's referencing back whereas most people are trying to 'futuristic' and 'techno'. Anyway I really love it and the unique shape of the hat as well.

01-02-2008
adi
fashion insider

hmm i quite like the shae of the two tulip skirts (black and orange) and the orange dress. they also have some beautiful details in them.
otherwise pretty blah collection. too much going on here and still it manages to be a bit boring. not my cup of tea. though i've never paid much attention to her

01-02-2008
scenester

i see a hint of chanel . . .

01-02-2008
scenester

Let's talk about that brown feathered necklace?? I know FIERCE when I see it!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voleuse View Post
i see a hint of channel . . .

i defiantly agree!

but i do like the feathers and the broaches

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voleuse View Post
i see a hint of chanel . . .
especially that white jacket.

I like this though. its very nice, and simple, and classy. the shoes however make the models' feet look stubby.

and the first model is gorgeous! :p

02-02-2008
boop

I love it. Its conservative yes but that isn't always a bad thing - for me it manages to be demure while never losing its edge. The pieces stand out - from fhe bright orange skirts/dresses to the stunning feather necklaces and brooches that have an almost indigenous art feel- I think everything here is very well thought out and beautiful. Not to mention wearable. I think these outfits could be worn by many women regardless of age and thats quite a feat given fashions current propensity towards all things youth oriented. I can see a chic 50 year old woman in that lovely striped (almost Prada-esque) dress and I can see her equally chic daughter in that stunning rust colored sheath.

I always look forward to Rachel's collections and to the day when I can incorporate some of her style into my own closet. I think the Style.com review is so dead on with its mentions of the juxtaposition between rawness and polish. Thats exactly what I see when I look at this.

That said Style.com messed up the model names on this collection

Last edited by Luxx; 02-02-2008 at 09:14 AM.
02-02-2008
Aby
V.I.P.

I like most of it, I actually like that stiffness it gives the silhouette a more linear, edgy look. But, this is not my style.

02-02-2008
barcode

Something about this doesn't work for me.

Beyond the stiffness of the shapes and the conservative look of it (conservative can work, even today). But it lacks any real inspiration for me. Georgia O'Keefe is an amazing well of inspiration to pull from, and I feel like simply using the color palette isn't enough for me.

That said, those two horizontal striped pieces midway through the lineup (the high-necked shift and front pleated bell skirt) are beautifully colored. That muted mauvey color with the rusty orange looks beautiful next to each other and paired with charcoal...I just wish they weren't horizontal stripes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0809, f or w, rachel, roy, york