How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2012
V.I.P.

And, the forgotten man in this whole scenario....I would be happy to see Raf ask him to stay on...

There's been much ado about Raf Simons's appointment at Dior, but let's not forget about Bill Gaytten, who gamely assumed the house's creative director duties after John Galliano's infamous exit more than a year ago. A gifted craftsman who had worked as Galliano's right-hand man for years, Gaytten wasn't a well-known name in the fashion industry when he took over, and many critics believed he wasn't up for the job. Indeed, his first show, the house's winter couture collection, was a disastrous mess of clownish headpieces and awkward frills. But Gaytten learned quickly, and his five subsequent collections for the house were relatively well-received.
Although he may lack Galliano's flair for courageous, dramatic statements, Gaytten managed to produce consistently pretty, wearable, and DiorĖappropriate clothes. Meanwhile, the house's sales boomed over the past year, leading many to wonder if Gaytten's "interim" status might become permanent. He certainly seemed to want the position, and one couldn't help but feel sorry for him every time a new rumor about his replacement made the rounds ó some even fueled by his own boss at LVMH, Bernard Arnault. Between Galliano's disgraced departure and the fashion world's wary scrutiny, poor Gaytten deserves to be commended for doing fine work under tremendous pressure.

There's been no mention of Gaytten's role at Dior now that Simons has taken over, which seems odd. He remains the head designer at Galliano's eponymous label, so he still has plenty on his plate. (In the meantime, he might enjoy some time out of the spotlight ó or at least a well-deserved vacation.)

NewYorkMagazine

17-04-2012
V.I.P.

July couture week seems so far away! Is quite a debut for him!

19-06-2012
rising star

First look?

Via: CocoBis Facebook

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitoti View Post
First look?

Via: CocoBis Facebook
i almost got a heart attack, but that's from the resort collection

http://www.style.com/slideshows/2012...UNWAY/010m.jpg

19-06-2012
Hell on Heels

thank god. if raf ends up doing something like that i'll be beyond disappointed

21-06-2012
V.I.P.

Will the July HC Collection be his?

21-06-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Will the July HC Collection be his?
Yes, it will be his first for Dior.

21-06-2012
fashion insider

He got what he wanted so desperately for over a year now. People at Jil Sander were too kind to him, even when he used the brand to lobby for the postion of creative director at Christian Dior...

21-06-2012
fashion insider

I don't know.. being kicked out of my job is not my definition of kindness.

21-06-2012
fashion elite

^Hahaha youīre right.

03-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Raf, Irreverent: The Designer On His Dior Debut

Raf Simons has been remarkably upbeat all week. You might imagine the pressure of a debut on Christian Diorís haute couture stage would weigh heavy on someone who made his rep as the shaman of modern menswear, but he was in fist-pumpiní, high-fiviní, kid-in-a-candy-store form when we crossed paths at Dior HQ the other day. You dream, and you have the elves to turn that dream into crystalline reality. Who wouldnít feel good? Still, I thought it was charming that Raf brought Cris Brodahl paintings from his Antwerp, Belgium, apartment to make his post-show interview room feel a little more like home. Oh, and about those interviewsÖ
óTim Blanks

Youíve never done interviews on camera before. Thatís a big change of heart.
I guess so. Itís been 17 years, and itís fantastic to come in a place where youíre finally well understood. Thatís probably a huge difference. Plus the possibility to have ideas realized almost automaticallyóIíve never experienced that before.

It was a wonderful show, but I canít say Iím surprised. There was something so purely logical about it.
I think so, yes. Iíve been very much involved with the period that Christian Dior defined, 1947 to 1957, and it seemed to me very normal to jump into it and work with that, to work with the archive and see how it can be modernized. And also to change the psychology of people who are interested in couture. The way Iíve been looking at it so far is as a still image, something you look at for that moment. I think lots of people see it as a still, an image from the red carpet. I want to make it more dynamic, appeal to a person who has a different energy. A younger person, in mind, not necessarily in age. And I think couture is very much about curating something unique for women. Fashion is so mass-produced now; I hope there will come a refocus on how people see couture. And I would also hope for a new focus on the craft.

What struck me in the show was the tension between classic couture tropes and a new take on them.
Iím attracted by both. Take things from the archives, then reenergize them in acid yellow or electric blue, colors that werenít part of the Christian Dior aesthetic. I like to juxtapose elements.

In a way, itís a paradox. You need to be reverent, but also irreverent, to move forward.
Itís mind-blowing when you start investigating what is done here. But I want to approach it with a new energy. Iím interested to see how people will pick up on it.

How important do you think it is that youíre an outsider?
I donít really know. I know I was seen as avant-garde. Maybe thatís why I look at it a little more differently. Iím not frozen by it. I make suggestions. My challenge is to find a beautiful balance: to make women beautiful, to make a woman dream to wear a beautiful outfit. The show was about beauty in a natural way. It was very freeing; it offered a lot of possibilities. Thatís why I didnít want it story-based. Think of it as a blueprint.
style

fashion insider

Love the interview, and it`s so true....blueprint says it all.

V.I.P.

01-10-2012
V.I.P.

@Dior

fashion insider

That suit is so not him, where is the bomber jacket? lol

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artistic, dior, director, raf, simons