How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-11-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
I don't think he's that deep. I think he's merely referencing Galliano's heavy reliance on older and original pieces from the Dior archives, especially in some of Galliano's last collections for the house. And that Raf wants to move away from that - hence, his debut collection for the house didn't hint at any Dior past designs. It was all Jil Sander Raf.
I agree, when I first read it I thought Simons was referencing Galliano's interpretations of Christian Dior's designs - history states that Dior brought back the restrictiveness of the Victorian corset after all of the work the likes of Chanel had put into destroying it.
On the other hand, maybe he's referring to the wearability of Galliano's designs, the concept becoming more important than the practicality of the clothing?

15-11-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
I don't think he's that deep. I think he's merely referencing Galliano's heavy reliance on older and original pieces from the Dior archives, especially in some of Galliano's last collections for the house. And that Raf wants to move away from that - hence, his debut collection for the house didn't hint at any Dior past designs. It was all Jil Sander Raf.
It was actually a bad copy of Dior's F/W 1954 HC collection.

Raf Simons is unbearable... Really pretentious. I don't think I've ever disliked a designer as much as I dislike him.

15-11-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
heh heh...
and i prefer jil sander to both of these guys put together...

so-
guess what i'll be buying next season...?...right...not dior...
the current definition of relevance...
what sells...
bottom line...
same boring story...

blurgh...
:p

Sure. Freedom, relevance and restricting women lessons from the guy who designed buttonless, hand-clutched coats and whose models can barely walk in his shoes on his last show.....

15-11-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbluejean View Post

Sure. Freedom, relevance and restricting women lessons from the guy who designed buttonless, hand-clutched coats and whose models can barely walk in his shoes on his last show.....
Definitely... Oh, and on top of that, his collection was just hideous. At least Galliano designed some of the most beautiful collections the world has ever seen... He was a genious, Raf is just an overhyped (and overrated) designer.

Let's see how long his designs stay relevant... I have the feeling he will be fired quite quickly...

Last edited by Creative; 15-11-2012 at 07:42 AM.
15-11-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbluejean View Post
:p

Good Point

15-11-2012
V.I.P.

What I think is that there are many Galliano-Simons comparisons in the fashion scene right now. This is damaging because Galliano and Simons cater to completely different women. Simons is a minimalist at heart, Galliano works through opulence and drama. Raf only said that Galliano's work is irrelevant because he doesn't understand it. Same if Galliano were to talk about Raf's work being irrelevant. I think the comparisons are getting to his head, not necessarily the sucess or fame.

15-11-2012
tfs star

I don't buy womenswear, so it's not like I have a comprehensive grasp on the luxury goods market for the ladies, but a big part of me thinks "Big, stinkin' whoop," because in the end, isn't it all just shoes & handbags anyways? Put out clothes that real customers, not red-carpet camera-queens, buy & wear, and then let's talk.

15-11-2012
backstage pass

If we're going to talk about "restrictive" then lets discuss the fact that Marion Cotillard had to take off her shoes, a shoe Raf designed, out of pure pain at the "Rust and Bone" premiere. And not to mention, the "stumbling" that occurred in the runway...

...And the other thing, those metallic belts don't look comfy. I adore Raf. I just hope this all is going to his head and that his menswear won't suffer...that would blow!

backstage pass

If I would be Mr Simons, I would shut my big mouth for a minute...

People in 10 years could tell the same about Raf Simons's current work. Each period has a specific fashion, specific mood. Now we are in 2012 and there is a financial crisis going on.

fashion insider

Raf Simons should be ashamed of himself!!!

Galliano IS still relevant - he just needs his job(s) back!

15-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
It was actually a bad copy of Dior's F/W 1954 HC collection.

Raf Simons is unbearable... Really pretentious. I don't think I've ever disliked a designer as much as I dislike him.
I'm not quite there with him yet...but if he keeps this up, I think I'll be joining you.

16-11-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic View Post
Raf Simons should be ashamed of himself!!!

Galliano IS still relevant - he just needs his job(s) back!
Oh please, for what? For expressing his opinion? He made a perfectly valid observant point within the context of the interview. Raf wasn't on a drunken stupor, childishly throwing insults and racist and anti-semetic remarks casually at people.

I'm no fan of Raf, but if one's going to be calling him out on his supposed hypocrisy -- in that his designs are equally constrictive as Galliano's, then might as well call out all designers. If one wants comfortable clothes, go to Eddie Bauer. Raf's vision of modernity for his own house and Dior's-- if only in presentation, is much more modern than any of Gaillano's ridiculous million-dollar drag shows in his last few years with Dior.

16-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Oh please, for what? For expressing his opinion? He made a perfectly valid observant point within the context of the interview. Raf wasn't on a drunken stupor, childishly throwing insults and racist and anti-semetic remarks casually at people.

I'm no fan of Raf, but if one's going to be calling him out on his supposed hypocrisy -- in that his designs are equally constrictive as Galliano's, then might as well call out all designers. If one wants comfortable clothes, go to Eddie Bauer. Raf's vision of modernity for his own house and Dior's-- if only in presentation, is much more modern than any of Gaillano's ridiculous million-dollar drag shows in his last few years with Dior.
Please, not again.

16-11-2012
fashion insider

I totally agree that Galliano's aesthetic is no longer relevant. Actually I'm a firm believer that Dior only got rid of him, not because they have excellent principles, but simply because they knew he was past it and the opportunity offered itself.
I do not know if i agree with Raf Simmons that has to do with women rejecting restrictiveness in favour of freedom, Macqueen was doing fine. It's simply a case that no one in the history of the world stays at the top forever. Galliano is an incredibly important designer in the history of fashion, but like all successful people he peaked at a certain period and now has been replaced at the top by new talented people that can bring a fresh take on things. Because he was really good he still has a fanbase to defend his corner, but it means nothing in the big scheme of things, his work is no longer influential.

16-11-2012
clever ain't wise

This seems blown totally out of proportion. So Raf digs Galliano's technical skill and artistry but does not feel that this is the way of the future. What is new? Of course he doesn't think so, otherwise he would either be doing it himself...

So there are more diplomatic things to say, but so what. I like that he's honest. I mean, I will always consider Galliano as one of the last true artists and he is far better than Raf, obviously, but nonetheless - Raf is in his right to prefer his own designs and his own style to that of his predecessor. And it is frankly his job to wipe Dior completely clean of any trace of Galliano. Which is terribly sad, since those are some of the best collections known to man, but that's how it goes.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 16-11-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
galliano, longer, raf, relevant, simons, work