Raf Simons Mens F/W 2018.19 New York - the Fashion Spot
 
How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
08-02-2018
  1
fashion icon
 
dodencebt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,330
Raf Simons Mens F/W 2018.19 New York

vogue.com

__________________
"See, there is a difference between me and you. When you hear Celine you think of Dion. I think of the brand."
  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  2
fashion icon
 
dodencebt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,330

vogue.com

__________________
"See, there is a difference between me and you. When you hear Celine you think of Dion. I think of the brand."
  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  3
fashion icon
 
dodencebt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,330

vogue.com

__________________
"See, there is a difference between me and you. When you hear Celine you think of Dion. I think of the brand."
  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  4
fashion insider
 
tricotineacetat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,114
For a designer to put slogan patches reading 'XTC', 'GHB', 'LSD' or 'DRUGS' on a garment, throw in the occasional Christiane F. reference and call that your Berlin inspiration and still be considered one of the most respected opinion leaders in the industry is beyond my understanding. People have been complaining about Off/White's shallow inspired 'design' but you really don't have to look much further than to Raf Simons to see where Mr. Abloh seems to be getting all the confirmation from for such poorly designed collections.

  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  5
front row
 
GivenchyAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Gender: homme
Posts: 427
^
thank you. I was a great fan of Raf Simons but since few years, i feel like i've been fooled by him. I dont see him as great at all. The styling is not good, the cast is not good, the setting is not impressive at all and so on.

  Reply With Quote
 
08-02-2018
  6
front row
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Buenos Aires
Gender: homme
Posts: 203
He's really lost. I mean, the whole thing looks like: team, what's hot and trendy today? Balenciaga, Mr Simons. Ok, let's do that. I'm not saying that he copied Demna because it's silly, but maybe the way the clothes were displayed: pretentious styling, the atmosphere, those DRUGS prints are obvious and the "look at me, I'm so rebellious but a damn fashion victim at the same time" attitude.
I'm all for deconstruction when it's funny and well designed (cdg, margiela, galliano, etc etc) but this just doesn't feel genuine for me. And to be honest, I don't know what happened to him. His own brand used to be the coolest thing on Earth, his Jil Sander was wonderful but now he's very easy to understand. Too lazy if you ask me.

Also, I've been watching reviews and obviously they're praising him. What kind of change can we expect if the "experts" are totally obsessed with this no matter what? The same goes for Prada.

  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  7
fashion icon
 
dodencebt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: homme
Posts: 3,330
I cannot agree more with the three opinions above. You have summed it all up perfectly.

__________________
"See, there is a difference between me and you. When you hear Celine you think of Dion. I think of the brand."
  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  8
fashion insider
 
maxlinden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,317
He's not glamorizing drugs at all, he's glamorizing art that discusses the danger of drugs.

Raf is brilliantly opening a forum and inviting the youth to educate themselves on the subject through Christiane F.(the book being much less glamorous than the movie, also a true story) and the book DRUGS by Cookie Mueller and Glenn O'Brien. Both works discuss the dangers of using drugs.

I loved the collection, everything is in silks and satins. The knits worn as dickies. The Jil sander inside pockets look very appealing and of course the tailoring which was fantastic. I love the way he uses art in his collection. I'm excited he's showing in NY the venue was like club/rave, everyone was standing and invited to interact with set.

BRILLANT!

Take notes kids.

  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  9
fashion icon
 
Lola701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: france
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,440
As usual with Raf this days: no substance, nothing, just pretentious designs that will be hyped to the fullest by the youth obsessed by Asap Rocky and Demna Gvasalia.
Today, wearing Raf means seeking a sign of approval by the fashion crowd. I seriously wonder if he has managed to keep some of his former customers.

He wants to educate young people on drugs by putting DRUGS on an outfit? It's pretty obvious that the people who are going to wear this clothes and who are totally influenced by a certain generation of rappers (Like Asap indeed) will totally understand the PSA when in stores....

He is lost and i'm kinda done with him. I still have a little hope for his Calvin Klein collections but as for his own brand, this is terrible!

But who cares, it's RAF right?

  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  10
scenester
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Gender: homme
Posts: 79
I used to be a very loyal Raf customer. But the last couple of collections are lost on me. Its very very contrived now.
Too expensive for what it is. Heís fooling his customer

  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  11
front row
 
GivenchyAddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Gender: homme
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
As usual with Raf this days: no substance, nothing, just pretentious designs that will be hyped to the fullest by the youth obsessed by Asap Rocky and Demna Gvasalia.
Today, wearing Raf means seeking a sign of approval by the fashion crowd. I seriously wonder if he has managed to keep some of his former customers.

He wants to educate young people on drugs by putting DRUGS on an outfit? It's pretty obvious that the people who are going to wear this clothes and who are totally influenced by a certain generation of rappers (Like Asap indeed) will totally understand the PSA when in stores....

He is lost and i'm kinda done with him. I still have a little hope for his Calvin Klein collections but as for his own brand, this is terrible!

But who cares, it's RAF right?
Totally agree ! If this is his way to educate young people, then he should not. Clothes can be interpreted in so many ways , the Raf Simons young customers are people who praise Asap Rocky and many rappers indeed . Rappers who praise using drugs. This collection doesn't invite to discuss anything. Raf just playing again on the street culture to get some money. period.

  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  12
Geometric Discharge
 
Crying Diamonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
For a designer to put slogan patches reading 'XTC', 'GHB', 'LSD' or 'DRUGS' on a garment, throw in the occasional Christiane F. reference and call that your Berlin inspiration and still be considered one of the most respected opinion leaders in the industry is beyond my understanding. People have been complaining about Off/White's shallow inspired 'design' but you really don't have to look much further than to Raf Simons to see where Mr. Abloh seems to be getting all the confirmation from for such poorly designed collections.
I completely agree.

This, according to Dazed & Confused, was the press release (or part of it):
Quote:
Ultimately, 'Youth In Motion' seeks to neither glorify nor condone the culture(s) of drugs; rather Simons seeks instead to consider the persistent, almost ubiquitous presence of narcotics (prescribed or otherwise) within our society and acknowledge our often conflicted relationships with them; in turn opening up a more nuanced dialogue around the implications for a society where addiction and the causes of addiction remain largely taboo subjects, with as both Christiane F. and the current opioid crisis demonstrate - often untold human consequences.
So from this concept he got styled suits and coats and every now and then a sweater (only worn through the neck), with captioned accessories and photo-printed t-shirts.
'Drugs' printed on a garment is like explaining a joke. There are thousands of 1st year fashion degree students out there who could design a more inspiring collection with this idea as a basis.


Last edited by Crying Diamonds; 08-02-2018 at 07:54 AM.
  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  13
fashion insider
 
tricotineacetat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlinden View Post
He's not glamorizing drugs at all, he's glamorizing art that discusses the danger of drugs.

Raf is brilliantly opening a forum and inviting the youth to educate themselves on the subject through Christiane F.(the book being much less glamorous than the movie, also a true story) and the book DRUGS by Cookie Mueller and Glenn O'Brien. Both works discuss the dangers of using drugs.

I loved the collection, everything is in silks and satins. The knits worn as dickies. The Jil sander inside pockets look very appealing and of course the tailoring which was fantastic. I love the way he uses art in his collection. I'm excited he's showing in NY the venue was like club/rave, everyone was standing and invited to interact with set.

BRILLANT!

Take notes kids.
I don't really see how placing a full frontal print of Christiane F. on a t-shirt or plastering the name of drugs on the knee patches of his trousers would be a brilliant design effort at all, or in any case make for an honest discourse about drug use. His inspirations serve as blatant excuses to plaster imagery on fairly basic cuts. I would dare to say this is even less design involvement than in some of Hedi Slimane's worst moments at Saint Laurent.

One could really be mistaken that this collection was designed by a kid growing up in the digital age who uses printed patches much in the same way as posting an image on Tumblr, and not by a designer who used to give us highly engineered, modern cuts 10 years ago.

  Reply With Quote
08-02-2018
  14
V.I.P.
 
gossiping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: united kingdom
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,760
well, sorry but i really like it. love raf.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
09-02-2018
  15
backstage pass
 
RedSmokeRise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: United States
Gender: homme
Posts: 896
On a positive note, the still life installation is very pretty!

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
f or w, mens, raf, simons, york
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2018 All rights reserved.