How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2004
arndom

Raf Simons Mens S/S 05

05-07-2004
arndom

05-07-2004
arndom

05-07-2004
arndom

05-07-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Well,the first two images I do not like. Rather grotesque for Raf,non? I know he likes to capture the culture of youth but never would have I expected he'd do what's already been done a million times over....that hip-hop style is tedious.

I like his signature tailored pieces though,but I don't understand why he carried the scuba idea into this....doesn't seem to fit. All in all,very dismal.

05-07-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Jul 5th, 2004 - 7:07 am
Well,the first two images I do not like. Rather grotesque for Raf,non? I know he likes to capture the culture of youth but never would have I expected he'd do what's already been done a million times over....that hip-hop style is tedious.

I like his signature tailored pieces though,but I don't understand why he carried the scuba idea into this....doesn't seem to fit. All in all,very dismal.
ditto. the tailored pieces are as impeccable as ever, but the rest i do not care for. also, there doesn't seem to be a theme for this collection (or at least I can't stitch one together) - very uncharacteristic of Raf. All in all this is a dismal season for menswear. Ann and Les Hommes are my last two hopes...

05-07-2004
arndom

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Jul 5th, 2004 - 7:14 am
.. also, there doesn't seem to be a theme for this collection (or at least I can't stitch one together) - very uncharacteristic of Raf.
Ditto:-)
6 pages of pictures in vogue.co.uk and I can't see a point. The sharp suits look great but in the whole it is a bit "blurring".

05-07-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

i guess if EVEN raf simons is doing the monochromatic thing it is a bonafide TREND....i still don't buy it though...this collection is such a reaction to that mess he put out last season i think....

backstage pass

I used to be a huge fan of Raf (from the very early beginning) but I must say his last collections kinda suck:
the Joy Division prints.
the oversized New Age pastel beaded crap
And now hip hop & scuba s**t. Please!
Of course the tailored pieces are nice but so déjà-vu.

05-07-2004
fashion icon

I was so looking forward to this collection and it is a major let down!

ok

Dior is my last hope for this season, please don't let me down hedi!

05-07-2004
Unveil Yourself....

I like the suits and jacket's...it's a nice shade of grey...love the setting, with the esculator and all that...but the leather scuba thingy's and the tight white body-leggings?

twitter.com/ErikP87
05-07-2004
Vision of Paradise

love some ( 2 looks ) hate the rest......

the leather suits scare me

i really wasnt expecting this .

front row

For someone who can cut a suit like this:

I simply can't imagine why he's constantly sidetracked and preoccupied with symbols of youth sub-culture like these:

And as always he isn't even trying to blend the two themes together, but present them seperately in a collection that ends up looking schizophrenic. I wish he'd just drop his silly little obsessions and instead stick to his roots with brilliantly-cut, well-made menswear. Some of the individual pieces here are more than enough proof he's fully capable of that.

06-07-2004
etre soi-meme

true orochian but Raf is so totally hyped, he's not happy with just imaculate tailoring, he needs the youth kick.. but i agree, he's gradually losing focus like so many other from his generation.. sad but true.

i liked few pieces here and there, but this 'i want to please everyone' makes things quite complicated , a very crosseyed collection

06-07-2004
rising star

There's something interesting in the chaos, in his pairing of what looks like leather body suits and tailored jackets--the morphing of what is appropriate at what time. It seems to me he's giving a statement about the future, about what is going to be required of men and what clothes they'll have as options to make whatever statements they'd like to make. It's incredibly mature to me, interesting, exciting...almost sacrificial...as if to say masculinity and questions about it will be on the back burner, that clothes aren't the right medium to explore those ideas and questions because...maybe...images of masculinity and it's inverse cannot be trusted...

Though at the end of the day, I hate getting too intellectual about fashion. It just seems to be that he's poking his finger into some open eye, just to muck things up a little. What would you say if you did see someone in one of these looks and they did pull it off quite well? What's going on then?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
05, mens, raf, s or s, simons