The revolving door at Emanuel Ungaro (please put all Ungaro news here) - Page 12 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-09-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Lets just hope Archs is competent enough to create an exciting canvas to work with!
i cannot agree with you more. no one thinks kanye west takes away from marc jacobs talent nor mark ronson frida gianini. it's really up to the designers to blow our minds, they just brought lindsay along for the buzz factor which clearly has already created a splash.

barcode

Kanye West and Marc Ronson haven't been given an actual position by the houses that they're loosely associated with, probably because neither Bernard Arnault or Francois Pinault (or for that matter Marc Jacobs or Frida Giannini) are stupid enough to think that letting some washed up celebrity in on the design process is smart for their labels. This is in a whole other league from wearing clothes or endorsing a product that was designed with you in mind. We're talking about giving a piece of control over what the collection and product looks like to someone who has no concept of the business or creative end of the fashion industry.

09-09-2009
Wanderlust

^ Exactly. The projects mentioned are temporary small collections of a few items. There is a huge difference.

09-09-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
^ Exactly. The projects mentioned are temporary small collections of a few items. There is a huge difference.
except gucci and louis vuitton remain HUGE operations. although the financial details of those collaborations haven't seen the light of day, i suspect they're in the same neighborhood as the lindsay lohan offer. i'd throw the timberlake/givenchy deal in this batch, too. same fish, smaller pond.

for those who hate the idea of this appointment, who do you think ungaro could have named -- who doesn't have a job -- to create the hysteria they need to make ungaro a top-tier house again. he made a great point: tom ford and phoebe philo have jobs. in the absence of marquee designers -- which, for the record, many in this forum also rail against -- this seems the direction these houses have to go to stay competitive.

Last edited by mikeijames; 09-09-2009 at 09:21 PM.
09-09-2009
barcode

Both Ford and Philo were secondary players behind the scenes before they got their chance to shine. I don't think a big name is the only answer here, and honestly neither Ford nor Philo would be a good match at Ungaro even if they were free.

They need a designer with substantial skills and enough confidence to do what it is that they feel without any hesitation. I mean, if you hammer home the same message one season after the next, people will catch on.

As for well known designers, I could see Christopher Kane bringing something interesting to the plate. He loves color and print, his aesthetic is youthful and fun, and his collections are always really focused. I mean, Donatella's got him on hold so it's pretty much a pipe dream, but I could see him doing something with Ungaro.

09-09-2009
God Save McQueen

While I was never a fan of Cortazar, for his own line or Ungaro, I do not blame him for a second for leaving over Lohan. He worked his way up the fashion ladder, and I would probably do the same thing if I was in his position.

Lindsay Lohan isn't even a fashionable celebrity. She had good style a couple of years ago for a short period when Rachel Zoe worked with her, but these days its lucky if she leaves the house with all her private parts fully covered. Not to mention her erratic and consistently unprofessional behavior. I don't understand why the owners want that liability. Its not like she is even that popular or successful to bring new clientele to the house. I am baffled.

09-09-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

^
I agree. There is a HUGE difference between making a splash and selling clothes and while people are surprised about Lindsay's appointment and talking about it, it's not in a good way. It's not like 'oh I love the way she dresses - I have my hesitation but I'm curious' it's like 'what on Earth was this owner thinking?'

To be honest, the problem here isn't even the designer, it's the owner. It takes a couple of seasons to get a feel for the collection and start re-building a following and I don't think the owner has the patience for that.

And exactly what premieres and events will Lindsay be wearing Ungaro to?! Certainly not her own - she is supposed to be in production on something but no one is knocking down her door. She's barely even allowed onto other people's carpets. She lost all the clout she had a couple years ago when as aforementioned, she was working with Rachel Zoe.

09-09-2009
Stitch:the Hand

^hehehe...

it's just terrible all round. and i agree i blame this more on the owners. talking about lindsay being unprofessional....how unprofessional a decision is this? it's obvious they're clouded by status over actual substance and i can only imagine this heading toward a downward spiral as soon as it begins. as if the current climate isn't bad enough for fashion houses,i can't imagine anyone putting their trust and investments into something like this.

spike i was thinking exactly the same thing myself...what on earth,wherever he may be,is emanuel thinking?

09-09-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

again, i repeat, while i hear all of this consternation over the appointment of lindsay lohan, who would my esteemed collegues in this forum name instead? as mentioned above, christopher kane has a job designing for versace's bridge line, versus. also, i don't know many celebrities jumping at the bit to actually get into the business of fashion -- mary kate and ashley, justin timberlake, sienna miller et al -- who don't have jobs already.

also, we have a convenient sense of amnesia when it comes to celebrity: america takes particular pleasure in building people up only to tear them down. lindsay lohan is no more sadder off than the britney spears, drew berrymores, and jason batemans of the world. most of the judgements people have of her happened before she even turned twenty one.

but again, i repeat, who else?

#Resist

^^ At least the house will now go out with a bang rather than a whimper :p

Lindsay is always talking about how she screams or cries when she gets some big expensive status item, like these are her fashion bona fides ... is anyone respecting her more for these shows of emotion?

Good for Esteban ... it's nice to know there's someone left with a shred of pride and dignity. As for Lindsay ... the best I can say is that she is a small but significant step above Paris Hilton, in that at one time she apparently displayed actual talent.

And now I guess we get to sit back and find out once and for all if all publicity is good publicity.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 09-09-2009 at 11:29 PM.
10-09-2009
front row

Quote:
Lindsay Lohan isn't even a fashionable celebrity. She had good style a couple of years ago for a short period when Rachel Zoe worked with her, but these days its lucky if she leaves the house with all her private parts fully covered. Not to mention her erratic and consistently unprofessional behavior. I don't understand why the owners want that liability. Its not like she is even that popular or successful to bring new clientele to the house. I am baffled.
Couldn't have said it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
again, i repeat, while i hear all of this consternation over the appointment of lindsay lohan, who would my esteemed collegues in this forum name instead? as mentioned above, christopher kane has a job designing for versace's bridge line, versus. also, i don't know many celebrities jumping at the bit to actually get into the business of fashion -- mary kate and ashley, justin timberlake, sienna miller et al -- who don't have jobs already.

also, we have a convenient sense of amnesia when it comes to celebrity: america takes particular pleasure in building people up only to tear them down. lindsay lohan is no more sadder off than the britney spears, drew berrymores, and jason batemans of the world. most of the judgements people have of her happened before she even turned twenty one.

but again, i repeat, who else?
We heard you the first 2432432 times. Its not our job to decide who's best for the line, so theres no point in asking us. They could've asked Taylor Momsen or Rachel Bilson or Lauren Conrad or some model but people still wouldve complained.

10-09-2009
Looking Up

It's not that it's Lindsay Lohan thats the problem. I like Lindsay, she's actually one of the more fashionable young celebs I think and I think shes very pretty, but Ungaro is just becoming a sad joke now. Everything theyve been doing since Peter left has become absolute garbage. It's painful to watch ANYONE represent the line now.

10-09-2009
V.I.P.

Lindsay's reccent interview, or lack of, in British Elle just goes to show her total unproffesionalism. She was twelve hours late for her photoshoot, and never turned up for a single one of the many meetings the journalist had with her. And so if she's been chosen as some form of ambassador then I really question the sanity of whoever has chosen her. She doesn't appear at premieres and events because she can generally get no work on anything that requires a premiere lately.

But if they actually expect her to put the hours in and actually do the work? Well, I question their sanity even more. She's proven many times she's unreliable and unproffesional, not to mention the clear lack of qualifications.

Her style is not something that is considered particuarly great either, so what exactly has recommened her above others for this job I wonder?

10-09-2009
scenester

money money money money money. I'm scared.

10-09-2009
Wanderlust

Facchinetti could have done it. She seems to me to be the most versatile designer I've known.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
door, emanuel, news, revolving, ungaro