How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-11-2007
Fly my pretties... Fly!

I'm really excited about this!

01-12-2007
backstage pass

Thumb down!
Dundas was 3 seasons there, and he was a genius, really revitalized the spirit of the house...after so many mistakes with Darre
I don't remember any stuff from esteban, that's one point to say i don't like him, or that he never did anything remarkable

Can someone post any collection of Cortazar?
I don't know what they are with the labels...it looks so unestable, and so amateur playing, changing designers so often really hurts House's names, not help them

the crying of humanity

I'm not familiar with Cortazar's designs, so I can't really make any comments about this decision. In any case, I'm happy that we'll be able to see an Ungaro fashion show again, regardless of the designer.

girl who fell to earth

here is a link to his website: http://www.estebancortazar.com/

i remember looking at his collection when it came out but clearly it was forgettable for the most part..

there are some pretty pieces in the ss 06 collection but then some of it is just a mess..

he's still young and definitely needs to grow..
maybe working for ungaro, a label with a history, will help him establish a vision or inspire him to modernize the classic ungaro look..

i don't really know what to think but i'm hoping for his sake that he manages to surprise everyone with a great debut collection..

though i think he will probably get off to a rocky start

God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
yeah it's rather an unsavoury choice,if you ask me too. like softie said in miami--and definitely where his cheap aesthetics habitate. i really don't get this kind of marriage--even though he does make flowy silhouettes it's just a bit too garish and sleazy for ungaro,i think. it's not even in the slightest elegant cortazar's work compared with what we know of his[emmanuel's]legacy.

or perhaps we're just being clueless to the fact that they'll have someone so naive about fashion that they'll have ample oppurtunity to dictate him easily. i mean,come on,why would they want to heave forth with somebody with ideals after the valli situation?

and yes,i am being harsh
that was my first thought. they wanted someone malleable so they can groom him to do what they want. Dundas was too much for them i guess. But if that was the case, why make a big deal about the head designer at all?

and what is the Valli situation?

01-12-2007
backstage pass

Though he's Colombian and he's representing my country, Cortazar's work is way to cheap looking for Ungaro...... crappy choice. But good luck I guess.

01-12-2007
tfs star

He shouldn't be the head designer at Ungaro. After looking at a few of the collections on his website, his design aesthetic is very superficial and has been done before. He needs to probably work under someone at a big house to develop before he takes on such a big career move.

01-12-2007
Stitch:the Hand

^superficial...indeed,reese! that's precisely what i'm getting at.

masquerade...if i am not mistaken,as usual,it was a creative and marketing clash between he and the managers.

01-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisie View Post
I'm really excited about this!
yeah me too!

I think he is a very talented designer, who has proved that repeatedly in the NY shows. Now he has a golden opportunity to hit the big time in Paris! Good luck Esteban!

secret garden

He's either going to surprise us all and come out with some thing that amazes us or crash and burn so spectacularly that it amazes us.

Either way I've got my popcorn ready.

02-12-2007
fashion icon

It's really too bad Valli didn't stay, he's perfect for the house. Ah well.

Ungaro needs a freethinker, someone to push the house into the spotlight, into something notorious for forward yet chic collections. Essentially they need another Ghesquire or Stefano Pilati, not a bad Michael Kors.

My main issue is not whether Cortazar is a bad designer (although I don't think he is a good one) but what vision he has to offer Ungaro. I'm not convinced and his remarks in the brief interview posted above were less than assuring.

I actually think Christopher Kane would be an excellent choice. A good mix of technical prowess, strangeness, sexiness, and pop appeal.

02-12-2007
V.I.P.

^ I didn't think about Kane before but I agree he would have been a very suitable choice for Ungaro

02-12-2007
Wanderlust

I agree about Kane as well. I wonder if he was offered, but refused due to his dealings with Versace? I just cannot logically see Cortazar being asked before some other designers.

02-12-2007
front row

Wow, harsh criticisms.

This is slightly reminiscent of of YSL for the house of Dior...hopefully the end results arent similar

V.I.P.

What really annoys me is how every new designer at Ungaro, leaves after a couple of seasons.
There truly is no brand identity to Emanuel Ungaro IMO. Season after season, there is the most random stuff coming out of the runway...I just don't get it.
Esteban Cortazar sounds vaguely familiar to me....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
door, emanuel, news, revolving, ungaro