How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-12-2007
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPerfect View Post
Wow, harsh criticisms.

This is slightly reminiscent of of YSL for the house of Dior...hopefully the end results arent similar

I suppose. But keep in mind YSL was already an assistant at Dior and was responsible for almost 30% of the collection at the time of Dior's death. Dior himself had named YSL as his successor. YSL had proven himself before he took the job and his first collection was met with rave reviews.

Cortazar holds no charmed place in fashion, he stands out because of his age but not of any abundant talent. I doubt Ungaro would find him to be a suitable replacement for Valli.

I wish the young man luck, he has as good of a chance as any of the last two designers to stick it through.

02-12-2007
V.I.P.

hm i never saw him to be the ungaro guy, but maybe he'll surprise us all.....hopefully.

02-12-2007
fashion insider

I JUST saw him in the fabric store 1 week ago. WTF???????????????

TWITTER:
03-12-2007
trendsetter

I don't think this is a smart move, i dont think he is ready for this!

But I do wish him luck...

04-12-2007
V.I.P.

ergh...this is just as idiotic as appointing Julien McDonald to head Givenchy back in the days...I'm all about supporting young talents but his tacky taste has been unbearable so I'll cross my fingers that Ungaro won't suffer any more damages that it's already has...

Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

wow- this was unexpected!

Amour Comme Hiver

Well... he's totally gorg. If he wasn't gay, I'd hit it.

On the fashion front, however- who knows? There were certainly some questions about Matthew Williamson at Pucci because of how awful his line is; but when he got there, he started doing better, hotter stuff than he does at his namesake line!

04-12-2007
trendsetter

I'm holding off on any judgements until I see it. Estaban's namesake collections are an utter bore, but my beloved house of Ungaro has to be too wise to allow Lluhlier-Elie Saab-Baby Phat crap represent the house.

This is really a shame because I thought Dundas was perfect for Ungaro, he really made it his own Ungaro although I don't think he served the client well. He certainly saw the name through a very specific lense and that's exactly what caused Tom Ford to fail (in the opinion of many) at YSL.

05-12-2007
trendsetter

Another no win situation from a cursed house.
The biggest hype is his being the youngest designer now installed at a house NOT the best. It may as well have been a celebrity. The attention such a bad appointment creates is in itself publicity (for the meanwhile).
These decisions tend to be made by men in suits as well which is never a good thing.
They will get rid of him like they have countless times before and the designer will only soil what little reputation he has built up.

Stitch:the Hand

i agree bidwell. i think it's really tarnishing their own rep by hiring and subsequently sacking in the same breath.....and now their hiring somebody who's not exactly the greatest of the youth. why not marios schwab? why not christian wijnants? those guys actually have a voice and a vision. and give him a chance? i would give jeremy scott a chance before i would esteban.

05-12-2007
fashion insider

Whoa!!! Jeremy Scott?!?! That's A Statement!

TWITTER:
14-01-2008
fashion insider

i just heard the news and was shocked, i had to rush over here to see if it's true and add my two cents. what are they thinking? i've seen his shows a while back and i can't see how the people behind ungaro could do such a thing, his designs are so first year design student.

this won't be good

16-03-2008
trendsetter

So the fall collection is out, a lot of mixed opinions on the threat.. Does anybody wants to generalize their opinion here about Esteban's first collectionf for Ungaro?

tfs star

Esteban Cortazar out at Ungaro *Update* Archs & Lohan leave as well
Moderators,

If you need to move this into the "Rumor has it" thread until this is official then please do but I would rather it be in the Designers thread.

Quote:
PARIS — It looks like the revolving door at Emanuel Ungaro will spin yet again.

According to sources, the French fashion house plans to part ways with Esteban Cortazar, who has shown three collections on the runway. It is understood the designer reached an impasse with Ungaro management over its marketing and advertising strategy.

Mounir Moufarrige, Ungaro’s chief executive officer, is said to be pushing for a celebrity for future ad campaigns to help wake up the house, and has been in talks with about half a dozen potential candidates, including Lindsay Lohan, but they would have nothing to do with design.

Moufarrige could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Ungaro has not done a campaign for its women’s wear for years, and the executive is keen to revive its provocative heritage, sources said. The couture house, founded by Emanuel Ungaro in 1965, once featured an ad of a dog in a studded collar licking a woman’s feet, for example.

The identity of potential successors to Cortazar could not immediately be learned, but Moufarrige is known for making bold and unexpected decisions, most famously for replacing Karl Lagerfeld with Stella McCartney, then age 25, as head designer of Chloé in 1997. He had a long career at Chloé parent Compagnie Financière Richemont, most notably at Dunhill and Montblanc, where he put its emblematic black pen at the center of development.

More recently, the peripatetic executive convinced leather goods purveyor Goyard to translate its iconic canvas in a range of colors, and turned oversize watch brand U-Boat into an in-demand item.

Bogotá, Colombia-born Cortazar presented his first signature collection in New York at the age of 18 and was embraced by retailers such as the late Kal Ruttenstein at Bloomingdale’s. He arrived at Ungaro at age 23, succeeding Peter Dundas, who had replaced Vincent Darré.

Ungaro has been wracked by instability in the design department since its founding couturier retired in 2004. His handpicked successor, Giambattista Valli, had some success, but he clashed with management. Ferragamo purchased Ungaro in 1996 and sold the business in 2005 to high-tech entrepreneur Asim Abdullah.
Source: WWD.com

Quote:
June 2, 2009 -- AS if it wasn't bad enough that Lindsay Lohan ruined her own career, she's now interfering in the careers of others.
Lohan is in Paris, according to multiple sources, talking to the House of Emanuel Ungaro about signing on as a "creative consultant" for the fashion line. But the current head designer of Ungaro, Esteban Cortazar, is not greeting the rehabbed starlet with open arms.
NY Post

05-06-2009
V.I.P.

Ungaro fashion house has lost everything after Giambattista Valli's departure...only Dundas was really good for the house aestethic but they still fired him

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
door, emanuel, news, revolving, ungaro