Riccardo Tisci is Leaving Givenchy - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-02-2017
backstage pass

No, no, no at Peter Dundas. The designer who takes over must at least have an intellectual veneer... Pilati, Elbaz are capable.

02-02-2017
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Good for him.. the second half of his tenure started to resemble that government worker that's been zombie-filing the same thing for a little too long.. lazier and more corrupted every passing day. I actually hope he doesn't go to another house right away and instead takes a couple of years off to reflect and evaluate things a little... he used to create such beautiful work and of course the potential is still there, but so polluted by this fame-whore needs (endorsing the bottom of the barrel of the celebrity world, turning himself into a recognizable celebrity at all costs). Maybe after some time off, he could revive his own label.. I think fashion is aching for some sense of independence..

He was kind of the best thing that could've happened to a house like Givenchy at the time, considering how it was (even McQueen sucked at it and don't get me started on Julien Macdonald ).. hopefully they'll find someone with a refreshing and kind of "pure" approach to design the way Riccardo was at the beginning.
Completely agree.

The arch of Tisci's time at Givenchy is very interesting and very clear to see. He was so critically panned early on. I think this was the best thing for him. He had something to prove. It's clear he worked really hard on those first several years worth of collections. I can still look back at his Couture collections from 2006 and 2007 and find new details and ideas and fabrications that are really stunning and frankly, haven't aged hardly a day. Very innovative and fresh approach to Couture.

Then - around 2008 (The Latin/Catholic RTW collection) he found critical success. At that point, he started to get comfortable and began to rely on codes he established. Then, the ultimate transition was when he stopped showing Couture on the catwalk and from that point on, everything looked the same. Pretty much every dress designed since that show was a sheer mermaid gown embellished to death.

I, too, would love to see him take some time off, refresh, collect his thoughts, find some new inspiration and new perspectives. It seems inevitable that he will move to Versace, and I can see that being an fruitful move - as long as he really puts in the effort. I would HATE to see a Tisci / Versace world consist entirely of digital and kaleidoscope prints. That would be hell! Haha!

In a dream world, he would revive his own label - much like Theyskens has done - I think a much smaller budget would serve Riccardo well. It would force him to innovate again - make something spectacular out of very little (comparatively to his Givenchy budget). And that kind of intimacy would serve him well, too. That was what was so great about his own label and his first two years at Givenchy. The genuine intimacy and care.

As far as who should take over Givenchy - I am not particularly hopeful the suits will pick someone who will shake things up and be brave and bold and sophisticated. Unfortunately, I suspect they will pull a Vaccarello / Saint Laurent and bring in someone cheaper who will essentially carry on the established narrative. That's just the fashion climate we are living in.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 02-02-2017 at 01:09 PM.
02-02-2017
Hell on Heels

all in all, i'm sad this is ending. i still somehow had faith he could be exciting again, but alas.

he really phoned it in in the past few years but many of his collections delivered some all-time-favorite fashion moments of mine.

is it confirmed he's going to versace? olivier zahm wrote on IG 'riccardo is leaving givenchy for versace' as if its a done deal but i've been away all day and haven't been following official news

02-02-2017
barcode

It's definitely the end of an era, on par for sure with Tom Ford's departure from Gucci and John Galliano's departure (however disgraceful) from Dior. Riccardo did an awful lot to change Givenchy's entire identity, but really, to change fashion as well. I mean what he's consistently done throughout his time has truly altered how people who follow fashion dress. Like everyone else I've sort of been increasingly ambivalent about his collections over the past few years because they've become more and more familiar and formulaic, but even still he's provided fashion with a consistent pulse. I think he's leaving at a good time though. He's still someone that people look to as a tastemaker, he's more than proven his skill, and he's still young. He's got nothing but opportunity ahead of him, and if Versace is indeed in the cards then I'm truly excited to see what he'll do.

That said, I don't envy the person who will inherit Givenchy at all. Tisci is a very, very tough act to follow both creatively and commercially.

02-02-2017
front row

At last! Tisci's Givenchy had become so monotonous, besides the couture and a few rtw collections once in a while (fw08), there are only so many times you can reimagine a rottweiler. I hope they don't go for a stand-in like Vaccarello at YSL, there are too many brands at the moment rehashing their greatest hits. Looking forward to seeing what Tisci does at Versace, if he goes back to the Gianni aesthetic, the house could be the next Gucci and make a comeback.

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

Did not care for his work at Givenchy, basically since like 2009!! Yet i still remember how good he used to be, so this does feel like an end of an era. He won't an easy act to follow.

I will echo what others said; and hope he takes some time off before he moves to any other house!

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

Just speculations or is he really leaving Givenchy for Versace?

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

Tisci was destined for Versace. It was never a matter of "if" but "when." His attraction to Versace goes beyond business, it's emotional. The codes of Gianni are writ broadly into his own design DNA. It will be a homecoming, Versace's long lost heir.

I agree with others, what he was able to do at Givenchy is nearly unparalleled. Finding a replacement seems incredibly difficult. It's built up such a cultural cache, such a following. It would be unwise to not keep it up but it would be silly to think they can maintain it against a Tisci/Versace united front.

I suggest they overhaul the band and point it in a new direction.

It's unlikely Slimane would be interested. I think he prefers to impose his will on cleaner slates. Alber has proven he can make commercial hits, attract hype and he's been in search of better business partners...

I fear Peter Dundas would be like Anthony Vaccarello at Saint Laurent: an inadequate filler that will leave everyone wanting more and moving on.

For some reason, I love the idea of Nicholas Ghesquiere at Givenchy.

Either way, congratulations Tisci on your well deserved next chapter!

02-02-2017
trendsetter

I can't express how happy I will be if Donatella steps down. And how happy I am that Tisci is out of Givenchy, his last collections were proof that he needs a fresh start.

And...

TEAM THEYSKENS! I think they need someone that can bring some of the old glamour of the Hubert's era Givenchy.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecas570 View Post
Just speculations or is he really leaving Givenchy for Versace?
He is most definitely leaving Givenchy. That has been confirmed by the house. And the industry trade papers have reported he's in talks with Versace. I'd say it's 90% true.

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

i'm quite sad actually. loved every collection in the last few years. his "givenchy woman" was brilliant (despite his association with k-trashians)

i'm curious who will take over...

fashion icon

Everyone saying that he is meant for Versace, what if doesn't turn out great?

Everyone thought Peter for Cavalli would be a match made in heaven, yet it turned out to be a disaster - didn't even last long. I stay skeptical about the Versace thing for now.

V.I.P.

Peter Dundas? lol even before that disaster at Cavalli he wouldn't get a gig like this, but now I'm sure he's far from a hot tipped name.

I have a feeling that LVMH has been grooming Thomas Tait to take one of their brands for some time now. He would be an interesting choice.

02-02-2017
tfs star

As much as how monotonous his last few years were, I truly admire him for his almost unparalleled achievement both in design and business. His early collections were drop dead gorgeous, full of innovation details and mind-blowing craftsmanship. His designs around couture has a fresh and modern interpretations on embellishment. It wasn't just about engineered garment but how to take the extravaganza to a new light. He also understand how the market landscape has changed and that what create such following. Looked at his past muses, models and celebrity friends, as much as he has been tied to the Kardashians, he has created a great relationship with icons and supers. I wish him the best for Versace. I'm certain he's going to make the house as glorious as it was.

I hope his replacement wouldn't be someone for buzz but a person who understand how to utilize a couture atelier. And maybe we can take a break from all the bulldogs et all.

02-02-2017
V.I.P.

i will always love his Mermaid collection, for the sheer beauty it brought, along with his trademark gothic/romantic edge.

didn't think he could possibly top that and i guess he probably won't now. at least not at Givenchy.

i will miss his punch of masculinity tho at Paris Menswear. he truly showed men among boys.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
givenchy, leaving, riccardo, tisci