Riccardo Tisci is Leaving Givenchy - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2017
V.I.P.

Not sure how valid or reliable of a source Fashionista is but this would not surprise me to say the least.

Quote:
Virgil Abloh to Givenchy: Just days after Riccardo Tisci announced his departure from Givenchy, WWD's sources report that the Parisian house has already held talks with Off-White's Virgil Abloh as a possible replacement. While a spokesperson for Givenchy declined to comment, Abloh offered the following statement to WWD: "My trajectory is to update and provide something new in the fashion industry by way of creating a project and using it as a case study on how to update a luxury house." Abloh is already in good standing with LVMH, which owns Givenchy: In 2015, Off-White was a finalist for the LVMH Prize for Young Fashion Designers, opposite Demna Gvasalia's Vetements. Hm.
fashionista.com

06-02-2017
#Resist

And the downward trajectory continues ...

06-02-2017
front row

Virgil Abloh Said Among Candidates for Givenchy Post
Sources say the French house has held talks with the U.S. designer behind the Off-White label, who is also Kanye West’s creative director.

Could Virgil Abloh be a contender to succeed Riccardo Tisci at Givenchy?

According to sources, the French fashion house has held discussions with the American designer behind the Off-White label, who is also Kanye West’s creative director.

Givenchy confirmed to WWD exclusively last week that Tisci has exited the house after a 12-year tenure, in the latest chapter of creative upheaval in the top ranks of international fashion, launching immediate speculation about who could succeed him.

Asked about the Abloh rumors, a spokeswoman for the house said on Monday that it had no comment. Reached on Monday, Abloh also declined to comment on Givenchy specifically, though he reiterated his previously stated aim of eventually taking the reins of a leading luxury house. “My trajectory is to update and provide something new in the fashion industry by way of creating a project and using it as a case study on how to update a luxury house,” he told WWD.

Part of a rising generation of young designers that includes Demna Gvasalia at Balenciaga and Vetements and Gosha Rubchinskiy, Abloh designs men’s and women’s collections and has spoken in the past about how he would like to shake up the establishment.

“I have a litany of ideas that bring modern relevance, but also a financial vision on how these brands can be more successful in the space of luxury,” he told WWD in an interview last year. “Off-White is sort of my résumé and it’s my laboratory to experiment with these ideas to see which ones are valid.”

WWD.com.

Last edited by Kikala; 06-02-2017 at 03:45 PM.
06-02-2017
backstage pass

Virgil? God no more "streetwear" please.

06-02-2017
V.I.P.

Wait WHAT? Virgil for Givenchy? NO! What are they smoking over there at LVMH!!!!

06-02-2017
front row

Lmao these established old guard houses chasing the instagram crowd.

06-02-2017
V.I.P.

Well I guess they will take the Slimane-Vaccarello route here to. They want someone who can make Riccardo-like clothes to still profit from his following.

For whatever is worth tho, I find Virgil immensely more talented and hard working than Denma & co. And the idea of an african-american designer who started his brand making hoodies taking one of the parisian maisons is kinda exciting...

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
06-02-2017
fashion insider

In terms of fashion and for "people like us" who are a bit blasé and sometimes pretentious about the subject, it's terrible. BUT from a business point of view and in terms of coherence, it makes totally sense.

Abloh is not original at all IMO but he has a good profile, good contacts and is quite in touch with this new generation and it obsessions. Having Abloh at Givenchy is like doing a SUPREME collection with Vuitton.

He has succeed in hiding his lack of originality by wrapping it with good visuals, a very recognizable logo, a very social-media oriented strategy and a decent well made product.

OFF WHITE would have never existed without Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci. All those brands found their conception after his "Jesus is Lord" collection.

Plus, after the "woman designer at Dior", having a "black man creative director of Givenchy" is like the perfect thing to get people interested in Givenchy.

Last edited by Lola701; 06-02-2017 at 05:13 PM.
06-02-2017
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
And the idea of an african-american designer who started his brand making hoodies taking one of the parisian maisons is kinda exciting...
Are you being facetious? I really can't tell.

Why should his skin color have any say in whether or not he should have any place at Givenchy? Especially when you also mentioned that he's a "designer" that makes hoodies? I wouldn't say that that is anything worth rewarding.

The times we live in....

V.I.P.

Seamstresses must be happy. Everything is gonna be easy and basic for them... With his skills it can't be any other way.

Anyway, I don't even care about him going to Givenchy. After Wang and Demna at Balenciaga and Vaccarello at SL this seems like an organic move.

06-02-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
Are you being facetious? I really can't tell.

Why should his skin color have any say in whether or not he should have any place at Givenchy? Especially when you also mentioned that he's a "designer" that makes hoodies? I wouldn't say that that is anything worth rewarding.

The times we live in....
Where did I say that? I was just noting that it would be a great achievement for an african-american who started a small streetwear brand, made it one of the hottest brands in the world, expanded the brand's appeal beyond streetwear, and now is rumored to take a very exclusive european luxury brand. And making hoodies doesn't make him any less of a designer, that's such a pretentious thought.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems

Last edited by Marc10; 06-02-2017 at 05:50 PM.
06-02-2017
trendsetter

If he (or any of this Kanye posse or normcore queens) steps in, I will boycott everything Givenchy. I'm done with this Kardashian/West reign over fashion.

tfs star

Virgil is more a better designer than Demna, but that does not make him a good designer. This would be poor choice. Givenchy, or any brand for that matter, deserves better.

06-02-2017
When in doubt, wear red.

How long do they think this Streetwear, instakids, no concept fashion era is gonna last for them to seriously consider on Virgil taking over Givenchy.

I literally feel like it's been alreayd going on for way too long. The whole schtick is now so big that it's basically a big caricature of itself. Clearly it's bound to implode sooner or later. Do they really want to bet on the longivity of all that nonsense and put Virgil at the helm of a couture house like Givenchy ?

Like Lola perfectly said there's some logic and good to it. First because Abloh has been kiki with the LVMH gang for awhile now. He also perfectly embodies this ridiculous state of fahsion and comes with a big crowd off cult followers. Most importantly though, after years of Tisci appropri... sorry referencing black culture to get Givenchy at the forefront it seems kinda logical to have a black man replace him and give some actual depth to all those inspirations. I also think it's about time that designers at the helm of big houses get more diverse. How can we expect runways, magazines and campaigns to be more diversed when there's almost absolutely no sign of diversity when it comes to creative directors ( at least at leading houses ).
Yet the problem is that this whole thing, and even the discussion that Virgil's nominations would create will just fall into a big pit of shallow buzz, saturated streetstyle trends and pretentiousness. I actually like many of the things he does at Off-White but he is not a designer. Tisci has been wack for years now but we can all agree on the fact the man is or was immensely talented. Virgil isn't and we all know that his nomination would come with a big pile of bullsh**. Fashion is already dead enough as it is.

Can we just please bring its magic back already ?

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkfolk View Post
Fashion is already dead enough as it is.

Can we just please bring its magic back already ?
No, it will get worse and worse. And if one day Hedi Slimane goes to Chanel...then this will be the real sign of the death of fashion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
givenchy, leaving, riccardo, tisci